Cell phone games

Roedy Green

I have almost zero interest in games, but I know that they drive
hardware evolution.

I wondered if anyone has thought of a sort of game that works like
this:

You has host have 24-7 Internet access. You run a specialized server
that speaks UDP. The server womb is designed to be very simple and
idiot proof. All you need is a PC. There is nothing you have to
configure.

When you go online your server links up with others to let each other
know of each other's presence and geographic position, online status,
throughput etc.

Players use cellphones or handhelds, that seek out a nearby server.

You play a variety of games with those nearby you. The system keeps
track of skill level so you are pitted against equal players.

You pay to play, a nominal sum. Some of the money goes to those who
run hosts. But some goes to provide prizes for daily tournaments.

The high level gamesters will cheat by running custom versions of the
games with various power assists. The protocol has to be designed to
keep everyone honest at least in the use of the protocol. You need
ways to detect and prevent hosts from cheating too. There likely needs
to be a system of digital certificates for players and hosts to
identify themselves. Perhaps several hosts have to monitor each for
money game.

There could be tournaments where the handhelds only have ROM versions
of the games to prevent cheating.