dorayme

From: (e-mail address removed)
sorry, i should have mentioned that i have a css border around my web
pages, so when i try to create a <table> or <p> at the bottom of my
code, the text is hidden behind my border. thanks for any help with
this one.

aaron;

Go on, be a devil and submit a url so we can see what is going on...

dorayme

From: (e-mail address removed)

Righto, I don't mean to be rude but I can see from the html that
you are at a base of a big learning curve. So I give you simple
advice. You use (as I suspected because I have had funny trouble
too with such things) /absolute positioning/. Don't! Just don't
for now. Forget it exists. Really. It is not for the beginner.

Read some modern html tutes, read about doctypes, about
deprecated tags. If you are going to use css, use it to style
everything rather than for a snippet that is getting you into
trouble re absolute positioning. (Better to have no css at all
than this snippet)

acorn71

no offense taken. i'm new to css. i do have html and programming
experience and i understand what you're saying about not using css for
just snippets, and instead using it for the entire design of your web
page. i would like to get to that level very soon, but for right now, i
just need my copyright text to center at the bottom of the screen. is
there no way to do this with the border i'm using? i'm having such a
headache getting my tables to work in ie and ff, and i wanted to do the
whole thing in css as a great way to learn it. but being under deadline
at the same time doesn't help matters. any suggestions are greatly
appreciated.

aaron;

dorayme

From: (e-mail address removed)
no offense taken. i'm new to css. i do have html and programming
experience and i understand what you're saying about not using css for
just snippets, and instead using it for the entire design of your web
page. i would like to get to that level very soon, but for right now, i
just need my copyright text to center at the bottom of the screen. is
there no way to do this with the border i'm using? i'm having such a
headache getting my tables to work in ie and ff, and i wanted to do the
whole thing in css as a great way to learn it. but being under deadline
at the same time doesn't help matters. any suggestions are greatly
appreciated.

Yes, ok, but I did say, get rid of the absolute...? Just delete
the whole snippet css in the head and it will immediately
improve the situation re your problem. Did I say to delete that
snippet? If I did not, I will say it now: delete the snippet
entirely for quick result! :)

rf

(e-mail address removed) wrote:

Please see my sig regarding google groups.
but for right now, i
just need my copyright text to center at the bottom of the screen.

No you don't. Simply put it at the bottom of the *page*.

If you put it at the bottom of the screen and the page is longer than the
screen (which I *hope* it would be) then the copyright notice will cover up
some content.

This I find distastefull :)

Besides, putting it at the bottom of the screen *reliably* and *consitently
across browsers* is, as you have found, not a trivial task. It also has no
meaning at all for, say, a text to speach browser.

acorn71

thanks for everyone's help, but i am not able to put it at the bottom
of the "page" because its looks funny to have the border around it. nor
am i able to just remove the snippet for now since its what creates the
border on my pages. i chose to use css for a border, instead of using
nested <table>s with a bgcolor on the parent and variable cellspacing
on the child, because i thought i would ti'm trying to learn css and
make a living at the same time. my goal is to create my entire page
using css and try not using tables at all. are there any goot tuts out
there? i know they're out there, but i haven't been able to find good
one for building a header, left nav bar, body, and footer in simple
blocks. thanks again for everyone's help.

aaron;

Jonathan N. Little

thanks for everyone's help, but i am not able to put it at the bottom
of the "page" because its looks funny to have the border around it. nor
am i able to just remove the snippet for now since its what creates the
border on my pages. i chose to use css for a border, instead of using
nested <table>s with a bgcolor on the parent and variable cellspacing
on the child, because i thought i would ti'm trying to learn css and
make a living at the same time. my goal is to create my entire page
using css and try not using tables at all. are there any goot tuts out
there? i know they're out there, but i haven't been able to find good
one for building a header, left nav bar, body, and footer in simple
blocks. thanks again for everyone's help.

aaron;
Look Aaron, this may help a bit. By making the 'content' in a table that
that you set as 'position: absolute' mean that you have 'ripped' it out
of the page's layout. It will virually 'float' above and so your
copyright section is not 'pushed' down by the content. Secondly your are
using a table for content that is not tabular! Try this:

<head>
<title>Test</title>
#content { margin: 1em; border: 1px solid black; padding: 1em; }
#copyright { width: 100%; text-align: center; }
</head>
Copyright &copy 2002 - 2005 My Company Name - All rights reserved

acorn71

that's really cool. thanks a lot jonathan :) it is exactly what i was
trying to do. i know i have a lot to learn with css, but i'm getting
there, and i really appreciate your help.

aaron;

dorayme

From: (e-mail address removed)
thanks for everyone's help, but i am not able to put it at the bottom
of the "page" because its looks funny to have the border around it. nor
am i able to just remove the snippet for now since its what creates the
border on my pages. i chose to use css for a border, instead of using
nested <table>s with a bgcolor on the parent and variable cellspacing
on the child, because i thought i would ti'm trying to learn css and
make a living at the same time. my goal is to create my entire page
using css and try not using tables at all. are there any goot tuts out
there? i know they're out there, but i haven't been able to find good
one for building a header, left nav bar, body, and footer in simple
blocks. thanks again for everyone's help.

aaron;

You can leave the snippet in, just take the position absolute line out and
the copyright behaves better...

Tried http://htmldog.com/guides/htmlbeginner/ ?

acorn71

dorayme said:
Righto, I don't mean to be rude but I can see from the html that
you are at a base of a big learning curve. So I give you simple
advice. You use (as I suspected because I have had funny trouble
too with such things) /absolute positioning/. Don't! Just don't
for now. Forget it exists. Really. It is not for the beginner.

i used your advice to remove the absolute positioning the first time
you posted it. but instead, i thought you meant to change it to
'relative'. why did i think that? i don't know, you never said to do
that. however, that is what i did. and once i *completely* removed the
positioning line, like you suggested in your first post, everything
worked great. thank you.

acorn

dorayme said:

cool, thanks. i will take a look at this one. htmldog has been around
for years. i remember htmldog back when sun first introduced their
alpha version of the java programming language back in 1994. i remember
people were scrambling to learn this cool html language that allowed
you to frame your java applet programs in web pages that could be
viewed the same over pc, mac, or unix x-terms (linux wasn't popular
yet). before flash and animated gifs, people would write hundreds of
lines of java code to make animations in their web pages.people knew it
was overkill, but this was the beginning of the web, in its graphical
form, and there weren't tools created yet to incorporate animations
into your web pages. its cool to see sites like htmldog still around
after all this time.