center video in bg image

cwdjrxyz

The said:
I'm fooling around with html/css

How do I get those scrolling bars to disapear?
I just want the video to be centered in the background image.
http://pw1.netcom.com/~starmaker/YT/YT6.html

Maybe there's a better way...
If there is a better way then,
what keywords should I be looking up?

You are linking to a file on the site with the video, and if it ever
fails, so will your video. Actually what you are linking to is a rather
complicated flash construct which is a combination of a .flv
movie(often used by the flash people), and other elements such as
logos. I was able to get the flv movie file from the Opera cache after
playing the movie. The .flv file may be downloaded at
http://www.cwdjr.info/temp/opr00V8T.flv . The movie is a wide screen
format and has no scroll bars. This is not very useful alone for
websites, but you can download a free flv player from
http://www.martijndevisser.com/blog/article/flv-player-updated . It is
possible to convert a flv to many other video formats that are more
useful on websites, such as wmv. I found a program that will do this at
http://www.topvideopro.com/guide/convert_flv.htm . You get a watermark
unless you pay for the program, which I did not. The .wmv is at
http://www.cwdjr.info/temp/opr00V8T.wmv . You may see it embedded on a
plain page at http://www.cwdjr.info/temp/NGmovie.html . I did not try
to add your background. The player is centered on your page. I think
you may have to crop off a bit of the left side of your background
image a PaintShop or the like so that the black box in it is centered
on the page. It may be difficult to get this right when screen widths
are different without using some rather elaborate script to detect
screen width and write corrections for css.

The new WMP 11 has a bug when you use a video that is of smaller width
than you call for in the object code. On all non-IE browsers I have
tested, the width of the video gets stretched to fill the width called
for in the object, but the height does not. The IE6 response is normal.
I don't know if and when Microsoft will correct this. In the meantime
you either should make the width in the object code the same as the
actual widith of the video(320px in this case), or you need to
re-encode the wmv at the larger width you want and likely require for
your background image.

I will leave the mentioned files up a few days, so download any soon
that might be of use to you.

Travis Newbury

cwdjrxyz said:
You are linking to a file on the site with the video, and if it ever
fails, so will your video....

Works as designed it is youtube
The .flv file may be downloaded...

But not legally
I will leave the mentioned files up a few days, so download any soon
that might be of use to you.

Do it quickly before youtube finds out he has raped their license
agreement.

The Starmaker

cwdjrxyz said:
[...]

Thanks, I will look at your html file after work and fool around with
it.
I was just trying some test with linking video from other websites for
the
time being like
http://pw1.netcom.com/~starmaker/YT/YT3.htm
(click the embedded button)
I wasn't looking to embed my own videos right now...my problem was not
how to
embedded a video into my webpage but just the "centering problem" of the
bg image.

cwdjrxyz

The said:
Thanks, I will look at your html file after work and fool around with
it.
I was just trying some test with linking video from other websites for
the
time being like
http://pw1.netcom.com/~starmaker/YT/YT3.htm
(click the embedded button)
I wasn't looking to embed my own videos right now...my problem was not
how to
embedded a video into my webpage but just the "centering problem" of the
bg image.

I am going to take the .flv down, just in case there is a problem with
having it up. However I will tell you how to get it yourself. It is not
encoded and just in your cache when you play the video so it is easy
enough to copy the cache file to somewhere else on your computer
before it is lost. Note that some of the .flv files are labeled .tmp.
You just rename them to .flv to get them to play on a flv player. That
was the case for your video.

Now what happens if you are not given an option to download? There
often is a way. You are out of luck if the video is a true streaming
format, such as a streaming TV station and some very long videos, since
the video is not cached other than a small buffer file that keeps
getting new video and dropping video already played.

One common example is movies using flash. If you right click on a
movie, if often will tell you what kind it is.

I find Opera the most simple browser to used for saving video that has
been cached. It is a free download. A good place to start are the free
Google videos - you are out of luck for the protected pay ones. Once
you have the video playing, copy the url at the top of the screen and
stop the video. Then bring up tools and select to empty private data
which will dump the cache. If you don't dump the cache, you will have a
hard time finding the video in perhaps hundreds of cached items.Then
enter the url you copied, select the movie and start if necessary. When
the movie is completely downloaded with the download bar completely to
the right or the movie finishes, whichever comes first, minimize Opera
with the - sign at the top right of the screen. Do not turn off Opera
with the X, or you may lose the video in the cache. Next go to the
Opera cache.

Since some files on the route to the cache are hidden, you must be sure
that hidden files are shown before you use this method. You do not need
any browsers on to check this setting. On the XP: start > control panel
Appearance & Themes > Folder Options > select View Tab > Find Hidden files and folders, check show hidden files and folders, and OK. If you have to do this often, create a shortcut to the desktop to where you want to go in the cache by right clicking on the icon for it, and selecting send to desktop to create a shortcut.

Now we will go to the cache. With Opera still minimized go to
C:\documents and settings\user\application
data\opera\opera\profile\cache4(usually). Look for a video file with an
extension such as .flv(usual for flash video), .wmv, .rm, .mov, .avi,
etc. Sometimes you find the file ending in .tmp. In that case you
rename the file with the extension .flv to play it on a flv player. It
will also be a big file, usually several to many MB as shown
when you hover the cursor over the icon for it. Click the video file
icon and select to copy it where you wish. Now you can go back and turn
Opera off. The more common players such as WMP, Real, and QT will not
play a .flv. However you can download a free flv player at
http://www.martijndevisser.com/blog/article/flv-player-updated . You
have the WMP player for formats it will play, and the Real and QT
players are free downloads if you need them.

cwdjrxyz

The said:
Now, is there a way to play the movie without clicking
the play button?

You know, 'onload' 'play' 'autoplay', or is this the wrong
newsgroup to ask that question?

I don't see a method to autostart the video you use, because the flash
has been encoded to start on clicking on the built in start error.
Perhaps a good hacker would know a way :) . However there is a very
direct way that works. You need the .flv video first as I showed how to
get earlier in the thread. There is an encoder at
http://www.avsmedia.com/VideoTools/index.aspx that will encode a .flv
to swf. There is a free trial version of this program, with watermark
unless you pay. This will convert many types of video files into
others. If you select your .flv video and select to convert to flash,
the default option gives you a flash version that autostarts and loops.
This is the way much of the flash works on the the web, often used in
ads, and many people hate being forced to see it with no option to turn
it off. The converted .flv video of interest to you worked perfectly as
autostarted flash. Unfortunately I will not put it up on my site, for
the reason explained in an earlier post in this thread.