Centering an image with text

Jerry Camel

I want to center an image on the screen and have text centered over the
image. What's the best way to do this?

I've been playing with style tags and I can get the stuff to center
automatically OR have the text appear on top of the image. But in the
second case, the image and text aren't centered properly.

Any help is appreciated...

Jerry

Jerry Camel

Interesting, but not practical for my purpose..

Seems it should be something pretty easy to do. Right now I am using an ASP
panel with a background image. I can cente rthe text horizontally on the
image, but not vertically. Any idea how to center vertically?

S. Justin Gengo

All of the examples I've found place the image as a background image like
you've done, but they are using a div tag instead of panel. That shouldn't
matter I think.

Then they use a separate div for the text and place it with another class.
The final code is like this:

div#test {
background-image: url(/images/backgroundimage.JPG);
background-repeat: no-repeat;
height: 500px;
width: 380px;
}

If the text positioning relative to the image is simple, you could add any
necessary text formatting to the div#test style and use the padding-top and
padding-left attributes to position the text in the <div>. On the other
hand, if you need more control over text positioning, or the text consists
of multiple lines and paragraphs, you can nest the text within another
div#testtext {
position: relative;
height: auto;
width: auto;
left: 25px;
top: 200px;
}

--
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer / Programmer

www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzsche

Jerry Camel

The padding is the key... Not really a solution for true vertical
centering, but the text is static so the padding works in this case. Thanks
for your insight.

Jerry

John Timney \(ASP.NET MVP\)

the code below should work

--
Regards

John Timney
ASP.NET MVP
Microsoft Regional Director

Jerry Camel said:
I want to center an image on the screen and have text centered over the
image. What's the best way to do this?

I've been playing with style tags and I can get the stuff to center
automatically OR have the text appear on top of the image. But in the
second case, the image and text aren't centered properly.

Any help is appreciated...

Jerry

<%@ Page Language="C#" Debug="true" %>

<head>
<title>Dead Centre Controls Example</title>
body
{
color: white;
background-color: white;
margin: 0px
}

#horizon
{
color: white;
background-color: transparent;
text-align: center;
position: absolute;
top: 50%;
left: 0px;
width: 100%;
height: 1px;
overflow: visible;
visibility: visible;
display: block
}

#content
{
font-family: Verdana, Geneva, Arial, sans-serif;
background-color: transparent;
margin-left: -125px;
position: absolute;
top: -35px;
left: 50%;
width: 250px;
height: 70px;
visibility: visible
}

..bodytext
{
font-size: 14px
}

..headline
{
font-weight: bold;
font-size: 24px
}

#footer
{
font-size: 11px;
font-family: Verdana, Geneva, Arial, sans-serif;
text-align: center;
position: absolute;
bottom: 0px;
left: 0px;