    What are my options for a syslog server to receive the messages?
    Rsyslog looks like it would be good. Anyone know anything else?

    Thanks
    Sam, Dec 5, 2008

  2. Sam

    Guest

    Sam> I've been playing with the python logging module. I'd like all of
    Sam> these applications to write their logs to the same place in order
    Sam> to make analysis easier.

    Sam> Any ideas on best practices?

    Perhaps use logging.handlers.SysLogHandler?

    Sam> What are my options for a syslog server to receive the messages?
    Sam> Rsyslog looks like it would be good. Anyone know anything else?

    If you're running on a Unix system of any type you should have syslog by
    default. You shouldn't need to install anything.

    --
    Skip Montanaro - - http://smontanaro.dyndns.org/
    , Dec 5, 2008

  3. Sam

    Sam Guest

    Yep...I'm planning on using SysLogHandler. Although if I were to use
    rsyslog, for example, I might potentially be better off using tcp or
    even doing it using rfc 3195. Sysloghandler uses udp...I imagine that
    will be faster but with less reliability. I'll have to think about
    that. Has anyone implemented a library for rfc 3195, or would I have
    to do that from scratch.

    I was more curious as to what people are using to receive the
    messages? Syslog-ng? traditoinal? rsyslog? Home grown solutions?

    I know syslog is already running, but I'm not sure the traditional
    version could keep up with all the traffic I'm going to have. Anyone
    know how well it scales compared to the alternatives?

    Thanks
    Sam

    Sam, Dec 6, 2008