Certifications for Perl, Web Developer, E-Commerce, etc.?

Discussion in 'Perl' started by Russ Johnson, Aug 30, 2003.

  1. Russ Johnson

    Russ Johnson Guest

    I'm familiar with programmer/developer certifications for other languages
    such as Java (http://developers.sun.com/learning/javacourses.html). Is there
    anything similar for Perl?

    What about other certifications such as:

    1) Certified Internet Webmaster [CIW Web Developer
    (http://www.ciwcertified.com/certifications/webdev.asp?comm=home&llm=2) or
    CIW Professional
    (http://www.ciwcertified.com/certifications/professionalcert.asp?comm=home&l
    lm=2)]

    2) Brainbench Certified Internet Professional
    (http://www.brainbench.com/xml/bb/common/testcenter/bcip.xml)

    3) Institute of Certified E-Commerce Consultants
    (http://icecc.com/becomecertified.html)

    Is it helpful/useful to have such certifications?

    Thanks.

    - Russ Johnson

    Reinholds, PA

    USA
    Russ Johnson, Aug 30, 2003

  2. On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 14:38:03 GMT
    "Russ Johnson" <> wrote:
    > I'm familiar with programmer/developer certifications for other
    > languages such as Java
    > (http://developers.sun.com/learning/javacourses.html). Is there
    > anything similar for Perl?

    None that I'm aware of - certs for Perl that is.

    > What about other certifications such as:
    >
    > 1) Certified Internet Webmaster [CIW Web Developer
    > (http://www.ciwcertified.com/certifications/webdev.asp?comm=home&ll
    > m=2) or CIW Professional
    > (http://www.ciwcertified.com/certifications/professionalcert.asp?co
    > mm=home&l lm=2)]
    >
    > 2) Brainbench Certified Internet Professional
    > (http://www.brainbench.com/xml/bb/common/testcenter/bcip.xml)
    >
    > 3) Institute of Certified E-Commerce Consultants
    > (http://icecc.com/becomecertified.html)
    >
    > Is it helpful/useful to have such certifications?

    In short, my thinking on a certification program for Perl (or anything
    else for that matter) is both a blessing and a curse. If you want me
    to explain, I will.

    HTH
    --
    Jim

    --
    Jim
    James Willmore, Aug 30, 2003

  3. Russ Johnson

    Matt Garrish Guest

    "Russ Johnson" <> wrote in message
    > I'm familiar with programmer/developer certifications for other languages
    > such as Java (http://developers.sun.com/learning/javacourses.html). Is

    there
    > anything similar for Perl?

    Seems like overkill. And I don't recall ever seeing an ad in a newspaper for
    a Perl programmer, so I don't suspect being able to say you're a certified
    Perl programmer will get you much further in the job market (at best I've
    seen positions where they ask for familiarity as part of a wider range of
    skills).

    I don't remember what I was looking for when I stumbled across the following
    article, but if you want the opinion of Perl's creator it's worth a few
    minutes:

    http://lwn.net/2001/features/LarryWall/

    Matt
    Matt Garrish, Aug 31, 2003