    try to connect to another computer it gives me the same error message
    for each computer I try.

    Thanks, Russ
    Russ, Sep 15, 2005

  2. Russ

    [MSFT] Guest

    Hello Russ,

    You may try following steps to see if it can work:

    1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. Type "MMC.EXE" (without the quotation marks) and click OK.
    3. Click Console in the new MMC you created, and then click Add/Remove
    Snap-in.
    4. In the new window, click Add.
    5. Highlight the Certificates snap-in, and then click Add.
    6. Choose the Computer, User, or Service Account, options depending on the
    certificates you want to view or manage, and click Next.
    7. Click OK. (If you choose Computer you will be provided with an option to
    open Local Computer or browse for a computer on the network)
    8. Click Close, and then click OK.
    9. You have now added the Certificates snap-in, which will allow you to
    work with any certificates in your chosen certificate store. You may want
    to save this MMC for later use.

    Also, please make sure your acocunt is a local adminiatator on the computer
    and have full control on local regisrty and files.

    Luke
    [MSFT], Sep 16, 2005

  3. Russ

    Russ Guest

    Thanks Luke. However I can already use the certificates snap-in in
    MMC - it works fine. But I want to use Certmgr as stand alone. Why?
    Because Certmgr has a command line interface that I want to use to
    automate importing certificates.

    I am sure that Certmgr used to work when I ran it, but it does not
    now. I suspect something has changed in my system, but I have no clue
    what it could be. Can you suggest anything more, or is there someone
    else who may help?

    Thanks, Russ

    PS: My original message pasted below.

    > I'm trying to use Certmgr.msc but when I run it I get message:
    > "The certificates store cannot be enumerated. The system cannot find
    > the file specified."
    >
    > This happens if I run from my dev work station or from my server. I
    > thought Certmgr used to work on my dev work station.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me why this would happen, and how to fix?
    >
    > Oh, after that message Certmgr does come up, but it is empty and if I
    > try to connect to another computer it gives me the same error message
    > for each computer I try.
    >
    > Thanks, Russ

    Russ, Sep 16, 2005
  4. Russ

    [MSFT] Guest

    Hello Russ,

    What is your OS? Windows XP or Windows 2000? As I know Windows 2000 does
    not support opening the Certificate manager with Certmgr.

    Luke
    [MSFT], Sep 21, 2005