CfC: Workshop on Revival of Dynamic Languages @ OOPSLA'04

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Roel Wuyts, Jul 6, 2004.

  1. Roel Wuyts

    Roel Wuyts Guest

    CALL FOR CONTRIBUTIONS

    International Workshop on Revival of Dynamic Languages
    http://pico.vub.ac.be/~wdmeuter/RDL04/index.html
    (at OOPSLA2004, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, October 24-28, 200)

    Organization committee:
    Roel Wuyts (primary contact - ), Gilad Bracha,
    Wolfgang De Meuter, Stéphane Ducasse and Oscar Nierstrasz.

    Important Dates
    ---------------------
    Deadline for submissions: August 16, 2004.
    Notification of Acceptance: September 10, 2004.

    Theme and Goals
    ------------------------
    In industry, static languages (such as Java, C++ and C\#) are much more
    widely used than their dynamic counterparts (like CLOS, Python, Self or
    Smalltalk). So it appears as though dynamic language concepts were
    forgotten and have lost the race. But this is not the case.

    Java and C\#, the latest mainstream static languages, popularized to a
    certain extent dynamic language features such as garbage collection,
    portability and (limited forms of) reflection. In the near future, we
    expect this dynamicity to increase even further. E.g., it is getting
    clearer year after year that pervasive computing is becoming the rule and
    that concepts such as meta programming, reflection, mobility, dynamic
    reconfigurability and distribution are becoming increasingly popular.
    All of these features are the domain of dynamic languages, and hence it is
    only logical that more dynamic language concepts have to be taken up by
    static languages, or that dynamic languages can make a breakthrough.

    The goal of this workshop is to bring together researchers in
    (object-oriented) language design interested in dynamic language features
    and languages that do not fit into the static mainstream.

    Call for contributions
    ----------------------------
    Areas of interests include, but are not limited to
    ? closures
    ? delegation
    ? actors, active objects
    ? prototype-based languages and approaches
    ? mixins and traits
    ? reflection and meta-programming
    ? language symbiosis and multi-paradigm languages
    ? ...

    In Brief: we welcome position statements, both about new language(s)
    (features) as well as about existing ones that already cover solutions for
    problems that are currently getting relevant in mainstream languages. We
    encourage brand new ideas, even though they have not been tried and proven
    yet. It is a workshop, not a conference, so work in progress is accepted.

    We expect...
    ? a statement to bring dynamism to an existing OOPL, or
    ? a proposal for completely new features/languages, or
    ? experience reports on dynamic features, to learn what works/does not
    work in current-day development, or
    ? killer applications making use of dynamic features, or
    ? descriptions of interactions between different dynamic features and/or
    OO concepts, or
    ? anything else related to dynamicity in (OO) PLs

    Prospective attendees are requested to submit a position statement or an
    essay (max 5 pages) on a topic relevant to the workshop to Roel Wuyts
    () no later than August, 16. Submissions should be 5
    pages in length and are demanded to be in .pdf format. Notification of
    acceptance will be on September, 10. Submissions should contain page
    numbers and up to 5 keywords.

    Important Dates
    ----------------------

    --
    Roel Wuyts
    DeComp
    Roel Wuyts, Jul 6, 2004

  2. il Tue, 6 Jul 2004 09:58:06 +0200, Roel Wuyts <>
    ha scritto::

    this message may not be so much in line with the previous but..

    - what does it mean "language symbiosis" ?
    the only symbiosis I can thinkg od is the one beetween the C
    preprocessor and C itself :)

    - someone ever thought about an actor base concurrency mechanism for
    ruby? It seem much more OO and simple than the current one (ate least
    it sems to me..)
    gabriele renzi, Jul 6, 2004

  3. Roel Wuyts

    Roel Wuyts Guest

    On 2004-07-06 10:16:48 +0200, gabriele renzi <>
    said:

    > il Tue, 6 Jul 2004 09:58:06 +0200, Roel Wuyts <>
    > ha scritto::
    >
    > this message may not be so much in line with the previous but..
    >
    > - what does it mean "language symbiosis" ? the only symbiosis I can

    thinkg od is the one beetween the C
    > preprocessor and C itself :)

    Integration between different languages. you could, for example, integrate
    a logic language with Ruby, allowing objects to be passed to the logic
    language and logic terms to Ruby. So it was meant in that sense. I don't
    know if such a thing exists in Ruby. If so, you are kindly invited to
    participate to the workshop!

    > - someone ever thought about an actor base concurrency mechanism for
    > ruby? It seem much more OO and simple than the current one (ate least
    > it sems to me..)

    It would be, yes. Just take care that it remains usable :) :) Again, any
    ideas are more than welcome for the workshop :)

    --
    Roel Wuyts
    Roel Wuyts, Jul 6, 2004
  4. Roel Wuyts wrote:
    > On 2004-07-06 10:16:48 +0200, gabriele renzi
    > <> said:
    >
    >> il Tue, 6 Jul 2004 09:58:06 +0200, Roel Wuyts <>
    >> ha scritto::
    >>
    >> this message may not be so much in line with the previous but..
    >>
    >> - what does it mean "language symbiosis" ? the only symbiosis I can

    > thinkg od is the one beetween the C
    >
    >> preprocessor and C itself :)

    > Integration between different languages. you could, for example,
    > integrate a logic language with Ruby, allowing objects to be passed to
    > the logic language and logic terms to Ruby. So it was meant in that
    > sense. I don't know if such a thing exists in Ruby. If so, you are
    > kindly invited to participate to the workshop!

    Hm. So a hybrid system simulation language embedded in ruby might be of
    interest? The simulation part is static, compared to ruby. It's based on
    dynamic generation of ruby C extensions for efficiency. The static and
    dynamic aspects are in balance to achieve good performance without
    sacrificing programmer-friendliness. If you think this is of interest,
    let me know (off-list if you prefer) and maybe I'll submit a statement.
    Joel VanderWerf, Jul 7, 2004