cgi and cgi-bin

zippy

Hi,
I hope this is the correct group to post this question. I have set up a cgi
bin /var/www/website/cgi-bin with some perl scripts that worked on a similar
server before we took it down. Transferring the files to the new server
didn't work untill we put the files in /var/www/website/cgi.

For our forms to work (unless we want to rewrite every one of them) they
need to be in /var/www/website/cgi-bin. Where is the configuration script to
change it from cgi to cgi-bin? I am running fedora c1, apache 2 and using
the cgi bin in the virtual host area of httpd.conf.

Thanks,
--zip

Sherm Pendley

zippy said:
I hope this is the correct group to post this question.

It's not. Sorry. This group is about writing Perl code. Your question is
about how to configure Apache's CGI support; the answer would be the same
if your CGIs were written in Python, C, or any other language. Hence, your
question isn't a Perl question.

Searching the group list for "apache" or "servers" turned up several hits.
The "comp.infosystems.www.servers" and "alt.apache.configuration" groups
appear to be relevant, but I don't frequent those groups so I can't say for
sure. Your best bet is to check the apache site at <http://www.apache.org>,
to see what groups, lists, or other resources they recommend.

sherm--

Gregory Toomey

zippy said:
Hi,
I hope this is the correct group to post this question. I have set up a
cgi bin /var/www/website/cgi-bin with some perl scripts that worked on a
similar server before we took it down. Transferring the files to the new
server didn't work untill we put the files in /var/www/website/cgi.

For our forms to work (unless we want to rewrite every one of them)
Why not?
they
need to be in /var/www/website/cgi-bin. Where is the configuration script
to change it from cgi to cgi-bin?
Since you're the only person to need this, there isn't one.
I am running fedora c1, apache 2 and
using the cgi bin in the virtual host area of httpd.conf.

Thanks,
--zip

Make a symbolic link from cgi-bin to scgi-bin, or move cgi-bin to scgi-bin.
Any system admin with 1/4 of a brain could work this out.

gtoomey

Anno Siegel

Gregory Toomey said:
zippy wrote:
Make a symbolic link from cgi-bin to scgi-bin, or move cgi-bin to scgi-bin.
Any system admin with 1/4 of a brain could work this out.

Patching a configuration error with a symlink is *not* what good
sysadmins do.

Anno

The Flow

Do not use a symlink. Instead, it is advisable that you actually go
through the conf file (sometimes the "default" of
/etc/apache2/sites-enabled) and change the cgi bin to whatever you want
it to be.