CGI and PL suddenly stopped working

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by momentsofclarity@gmail.com, Mar 14, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hello,

    For an as yet determined reason, cgi and perl scripts suddenly stopped
    working on my web server. Up until now (about 1 year) all has been
    working just fine. I have tried all of the following with no joy...

    -confirmed permissions on scripts, directories.
    -confirmed proper ExecCGI arguments in httpd.conf
    -chmod 777 scripts and directories (with suexec OFF)
    -chmod +x /usr/bin/suidperl (suggested by a user on another mail list)
    -deleted and relinked /usr/bin/perl to /usr/bin/perl5

    Scripts run ok from the command line but only as root. If logged in as
    the web user (apache), I get a "bad interpreter: Permission denied".
    The browser message is the ever mysterious "500 Internal Server error".

    Error logs just say "[error] (13)Permission denied: exec of
    /path/to/test.pl failed".

    Server info below:

    kernel is 2.4.18-6mdk
    Perl -v is v5.6.1
    httpd -V is:

    Server version: Apache-AdvancedExtranetServer/1.3.23 (Mandrake
    Linux/4.1mdk)
    Server built: Jun 20 2002 09:42:23
    Server's Module Magic Number: 19990320:11
    Server compiled with....
    -D EAPI
    -D EAPI_MM
    -D EAPI_MM_CORE_PATH="/var/apache-mm/mm"
    -D HAVE_MMAP
    -D HAVE_SHMGET
    -D USE_SHMGET_SCOREBOARD
    -D USE_MMAP_FILES
    -D HAVE_FCNTL_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT
    -D HAVE_SYSVSEM_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT
    -D SINGLE_LISTEN_UNSERIALIZED_ACCEPT
    -D HTTPD_ROOT="/etc/httpd"
    -D SUEXEC_BIN="/usr/sbin/suexec"
    -D DEFAULT_PIDLOG="/var/run/httpd.pid"
    -D DEFAULT_SCOREBOARD="/var/run/httpd.scoreboard"
    -D DEFAULT_LOCKFILE="/var/run/httpd.lock"
    -D DEFAULT_XFERLOG="/var/log/httpd/access_log"
    -D DEFAULT_ERRORLOG="/var/log/httpd/error_log"
    -D TYPES_CONFIG_FILE="conf/mime.types"
    -D SERVER_CONFIG_FILE="conf/httpd.conf"
    -D ACCESS_CONFIG_FILE="conf/access.conf"
    -D RESOURCE_CONFIG_FILE="conf/srm.conf"

    What am I missing?

    Thanks.

    -Matt
    , Mar 14, 2005

  2. wrote in news:1110830240.958081.84790
    @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    Please note that web server configuration and OS issues are off-topic for
    this group.

    > What am I missing?

    A short, simple CGI script that exhibits the problem.

    That way, I would not have to ask if the path to perl is correctly
    specified.

    If it looks correct, did you transfer these files from a Windows computer
    using binary ftp?

    See also,

    perldoc -q 500

    Sinan
    A. Sinan Unur, Mar 14, 2005

    wrote:
    > For an as yet determined reason, cgi and perl scripts suddenly stopped
    > working on my web server. Up until now (about 1 year) all has been
    > working just fine. I have tried all of the following with no joy...

    > -confirmed permissions on scripts, directories.
    > -confirmed proper ExecCGI arguments in httpd.conf
    > -chmod 777 scripts and directories (with suexec OFF)
    > -chmod +x /usr/bin/suidperl (suggested by a user on another mail list)
    > -deleted and relinked /usr/bin/perl to /usr/bin/perl5

    > Scripts run ok from the command line but only as root. If logged in as
    > the web user (apache), I get a "bad interpreter: Permission denied".

    This points to a permissions or path problem.

    Have you tried the following when running as a non-root user:

    % which perl
    % perl -v

    And seeing that the results are what you expect?

    Axel
    , Mar 15, 2005