[CGI] Basic newbie error or server configuration error?

Gilles

Hello

Apache fails running this basic CGI script that I found on the Net:

www.acme.com/cgi-bin/test.py?name=myname
===========
#!/usr/bin/env python

# Import modules for CGI handling
import cgi, cgitb

cgitb.enable()

# Create instance of FieldStorage
form = cgi.FieldStorage()

# Get data from field 'name'
#name = form['name'].value
name = form.getvalue('name')
===========

This is what I get:
===========
"Internal Server Error

unable to complete your request.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to
use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."
===========

FWIW, the script lives in www/cgi-bin/ where it should, was chmoded to
755, and I put the following .htaccess file:
===========
Options +ExecCGI
AddHandler cgi-script .py
===========

I'm not sure where to look for an error. Could it be some non-printed,
bad characters that prevent Python from compiling the source code?

Thanks for any help.

Gilles

Found it: The script MUST return something to the browser. I was
missing this:

========
print "Content-Type: text/html;charset=utf-8"
print

# print a document
print "Name is %s" % ( cgi.escape(name), )
========

Sorry about that.

Rod Person

[...]

Check the Apache error log, there should be more information there.

--

Rod Person http://www.rodperson.com (e-mail address removed)

Sent From Claws Mail 3.8.0cvs30 Win7 x86 GTK+ 2.16.6/GLib 2.24.0

Gilles

Check the Apache error log, there should be more information there.

It's a shared account, so I only have access to what's in cPanel,
which didn't display anything. Problem solved.

Thank you.

Hans Mulder

It's a shared account, so I only have access to what's in cPanel,
which didn't display anything.

Most such panels have a button to show the error log for your own site.

If you can't find it, ask the help desk of the web hosting company.

If there really is no way for you to see the error log, ask the help
desk to mail you the error message.

-- HansM

Gilles

Most such panels have a button to show the error log for your own site.

If you can't find it, ask the help desk of the web hosting company.

If there really is no way for you to see the error log, ask the help
desk to mail you the error message.

Thanks. the cPanel at my provider only has a Logs > Error Log icon,
but the error I was having didn't result in anything in the log file.

I'll set up a Linux host at home and test Python scripts before
uploading them to my ISP.

Thank you.