CGI & Formatting

Nikos

<code>
print start_form(-action=>'index.pl');
print p( {-align=>'center'}, span( {class=>'tip'}, "ÄéÜëåîå Ãíá
áðü ôá êåßìåíá ãéá íá äéáâÜóåéò => " ),
popup_menu( -name=>'select',
-values=>\@display_files ),
submit('ÅðéëïãÞ'));
print end_form;

This is non-Perl question but i really must understand why its not working:

inside styles.css i have:

td.tip {
font: 18px times;
color: cyan;
}
</code>

But i cant see thes quoted text in "big centered lime colored text".

<code>
while( $row = $sth->fetchrow_hashref )
{
print table( {class=>'user_form'},

Tr(
td( {-width=>'25%'}, {class=>'name'}, $row->{name}
),
td( {-width=>'50%'}, {class=>'email'},
$row->{email} ),
td( {-width=>'25%'}, {class=>'date'}, $row->{date}
)
),

Tr(
td( {class=>'host'}, "Åõ÷Þ ôïõ
Éçóïý" ),
td( {colspan=>2}, {class=>'tip'}, $row->{pray}
)
),

Tr(
td( {class=>'tip'}, "ÃñïóùðéêÞ
ÃñèïäïîïðíåõìáôéêÞ Åìðåéñßá" )),
td( {colspan=>2}, {class=>'remark'},
$row->{remark} )
),

Tr(
td( {colspan=>3}, {class=>'host'}, $row->{host}
)
),

br() x 2;
}
</code>

Ans also this, do i ahve any mistake in it because the script dont have
error but i see nothing:

Here is the CSS also:

<code>
table.user_form {
background-image: url(/data/images/swirl.jpg);
width: 55%;
color: lime;
text-align: center;
font: 18px times;
border: 5px inset blue;
border-collapse: collapse;
}

table.tip {
background-image : url(/data/images/blue.jpg);
width: 85%;
color: lime;
text-align: center;
font: 18px comic;
border: 3px inset red;
border-collapse: collapse;
}

table.info {
background-image : url(/data/images/blue.jpg);
width: 20%;
color: lime;
text-align: center;
font: 18px comic;
border: 3px inset magenta;
border-collapse: collapse;
}

table.games {
background-image : url(/data/images/blue.jpg);
width: 80%;
color: lime;
text-align: center;
font: 18px comic;
border: 8px ridge magenta;
border-collapse: collapse;
}

table {
margin-right: auto;
margin-left: auto;
text-align: center;
}

Tr {
text-align: center;
border: 2px inset blue;
}

td {
border: 1px inset yellow;
}

td.tip {
font: 18px times;
color: white;
}

td.host {
font: 18px comic;
color: lime;
}

td.date {
font: 18px comic;
color: yellow;
}

td.passage {
font: 18px orange;
color: lime;
}

td.counter {
font: 18px comic;
color: cyan;
}
</code>

David Dorward

Nikos said:
This is non-Perl question but i really must understand why its not
working:

<snip a lot of Perl>

Examine the output of the script. Is the markup as you expect? If so your
Perl is irrelevant, so show us the markup. If not, then describe how it
differs from what you expect.

It would also be a lot better if you posted a URL rather then the code. Some
problems only show up when in the context of the server they are being
served from, and at the very least it will save everybody who wants to help
from having to recreate your page themselves if they need to test
something.

Nikos

David said:
Nikos wrote:

<snip a lot of Perl>

Examine the output of the script. Is the markup as you expect? If so your
Perl is irrelevant, so show us the markup. If not, then describe how it
differs from what you expect.

It would also be a lot better if you posted a URL rather then the code. Some
problems only show up when in the context of the server they are being
served from, and at the very least it will save everybody who wants to help
from having to recreate your page themselves if they need to test
something.

Yes. you can find my webpage at http://www.nikolas.tk

the problem is in index.pl and in show.pl just after you hit one of the
form's submit buttons.

Thank you.

Nikos

David said:
Nikos wrote:

Connection refused when attempting to contact 83.171.221.228
Try again please. it was a domain => ip redirection problem that has
been taking care off.

David Dorward

Try again please. it was a domain => ip redirection problem that has
been taking care off.

Now, how exactly does that differ from what you expect? Is the generated
HTML what you expect? Are the styles being applied differently to how you
expect?

Nikos

David said:
Now, how exactly does that differ from what you expect? Is the generated
HTML what you expect? Are the styles being applied differently to how you
expect?

Well if you try to input data on the user form text boxes and sumit it
but hitting the Αποστολή button you cant see the output of:

print div( {class=>'tip'}, "Åõ÷áñéóôþ ðïëý " );
print div( {class=>'tip'}, "$name <br>" );
print div( {class=>'tip'}, "Óõíïëéêïß åðéóêÃðôåò: " );
print div( {class=>'tip'}, "$row->{'count(*)'}" );

instead we see nothing:

also in the first page index.pl we dont see the output of:

print start_form(-action=>'index.pl');
print p( {-align=>'center'}, span( {class=>'tip'}, "ÄéÜëåîå Ãíá
áðü ôá êåßìåíá ãéá íá äéáâÜóåéò => " ),
popup_menu( -name=>'select',
-values=>\@display_files ),
submit('ÅðéëïãÞ'))

Again we see nothing!

Nikos

Nikos wrote:
Also when you hit the ballon icon bottom down the games.l loads and it
looks unaligned.

Greg Schmidt

Now, how exactly does that differ from what you expect? Is the generated
HTML what you expect? Are the styles being applied differently to how you
expect?

You may save yourself a lot of grief if you read
http://groups.google.ca/[email protected]
before spending too much time on this. Mark's posts in that thread do a
nice summation of several other threads posted there by Nikos.

David Dorward

Nikos said:
Well if you try to input data on the user form text boxes and sumit it
but hitting the ???????? button you cant see the output of:

<snip>

You didn't answer the questions.

Greg Schmidt

Wh dont you let David help me?

David is a big boy and can decide for himself whether or not to try to
help you. I was merely giving him some more facts to base his decision
on.

The real question is why haven't you yet learned to help others help
you. When you post a vague question, with tons of irrelevant material,
it's impossible to answer it. So, people ask you questions in order to
narrow down the scope. If you were to answer those questions, then a
solution could eventually be arrived at. But, instead, you write
entirely new posts, which do not answer the questions asked of you.

Until you learn that this is not a productive course to follow, the only
thing anyone gets out of trying to help you is frustration.

In any technical group, here's how to get good help:

1. Narrow the problem down to the bare minimum. In a Perl group, that
means posting the smallest possible programme which demonstrates the
problem. In an HTML group, it means the smallest bit of HTML/CSS, and
none of the Perl that generates it. Perl problems are Perl problems,
and HTML problems are HTML problems.

2. Tell us what you expect the result to be.

3. Tell us what result you are seeing.

4. Include any relevant information about the environment. For Perl,
this is the OS and Perl version (and version of modules that you are
using). For HTML, this is the browser(s) which have the problem.

To date, I don't think I've ever seen you do any of these. When you
start doing all four, you will find that you often get good solutions
very quickly. Until then, I'm afraid you are doomed to repeat yourself.

hackeras