CGI & Formatting

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Nikos, Apr 30, 2005.

  1. Nikos

    Nikos Guest

    <code>
    print start_form(-action=>'index.pl');
    print p( {-align=>'center'}, span( {class=>'tip'}, "ÄéÜëåîå Ãíá
    áðü ôá êåßìåíá ãéá íá äéáâÜóåéò => " ),
    popup_menu( -name=>'select',
    -values=>\@display_files ),
    submit('ÅðéëïãÞ'));
    print end_form;

    This is non-Perl question but i really must understand why its not working:

    inside styles.css i have:

    td.tip {
    font: 18px times;
    color: cyan;
    }
    </code>

    But i cant see thes quoted text in "big centered lime colored text".

    <code>
    while( $row = $sth->fetchrow_hashref )
    {
    print table( {class=>'user_form'},

    Tr(
    td( {-width=>'25%'}, {class=>'name'}, $row->{name}
    ),
    td( {-width=>'50%'}, {class=>'email'},
    $row->{email} ),
    td( {-width=>'25%'}, {class=>'date'}, $row->{date}
    )
    ),

    Tr(
    td( {class=>'host'}, "Åõ÷Þ ôïõ
    Éçóïý" ),
    td( {colspan=>2}, {class=>'tip'}, $row->{pray}
    )
    ),

    Tr(
    td( {class=>'tip'}, "ÃñïóùðéêÞ
    ÃñèïäïîïðíåõìáôéêÞ Åìðåéñßá" )),
    td( {colspan=>2}, {class=>'remark'},
    $row->{remark} )
    ),

    Tr(
    td( {colspan=>3}, {class=>'host'}, $row->{host}
    )
    ),

    br() x 2;
    }
    </code>

    Ans also this, do i ahve any mistake in it because the script dont have
    error but i see nothing:

    Here is the CSS also:

    <code>
    table.user_form {
    background-image: url(/data/images/swirl.jpg);
    width: 55%;
    color: lime;
    text-align: center;
    font: 18px times;
    border: 5px inset blue;
    border-collapse: collapse;
    }

    table.tip {
    background-image : url(/data/images/blue.jpg);
    width: 85%;
    color: lime;
    text-align: center;
    font: 18px comic;
    border: 3px inset red;
    border-collapse: collapse;
    }

    table.info {
    background-image : url(/data/images/blue.jpg);
    width: 20%;
    color: lime;
    text-align: center;
    font: 18px comic;
    border: 3px inset magenta;
    border-collapse: collapse;
    }

    table.games {
    background-image : url(/data/images/blue.jpg);
    width: 80%;
    color: lime;
    text-align: center;
    font: 18px comic;
    border: 8px ridge magenta;
    border-collapse: collapse;
    }

    table {
    margin-right: auto;
    margin-left: auto;
    text-align: center;
    }

    Tr {
    text-align: center;
    border: 2px inset blue;
    }

    td {
    border: 1px inset yellow;
    }

    td.tip {
    font: 18px times;
    color: white;
    }

    td.host {
    font: 18px comic;
    color: lime;
    }

    td.date {
    font: 18px comic;
    color: yellow;
    }

    td.passage {
    font: 18px orange;
    color: lime;
    }

    td.counter {
    font: 18px comic;
    color: cyan;
    }
    </code>
    Nikos, Apr 30, 2005

  2. Nikos wrote:

    > This is non-Perl question but i really must understand why its not
    > working:

    <snip a lot of Perl>

    Examine the output of the script. Is the markup as you expect? If so your
    Perl is irrelevant, so show us the markup. If not, then describe how it
    differs from what you expect.

    It would also be a lot better if you posted a URL rather then the code. Some
    problems only show up when in the context of the server they are being
    served from, and at the very least it will save everybody who wants to help
    from having to recreate your page themselves if they need to test
    something.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, Apr 30, 2005

  3. Nikos

    Nikos Guest

    David Dorward wrote:
    > Nikos wrote:
    >

    >>This is non-Perl question but i really must understand why its not
    >>working:

    > <snip a lot of Perl>
    >
    > Examine the output of the script. Is the markup as you expect? If so your
    > Perl is irrelevant, so show us the markup. If not, then describe how it
    > differs from what you expect.
    >
    > It would also be a lot better if you posted a URL rather then the code. Some
    > problems only show up when in the context of the server they are being
    > served from, and at the very least it will save everybody who wants to help
    > from having to recreate your page themselves if they need to test
    > something.

    Yes. you can find my webpage at http://www.nikolas.tk

    the problem is in index.pl and in show.pl just after you hit one of the
    form's submit buttons.

    Thank you.

    --
    I knew UNIX before it was spelled L I N U X
    and
    Nikos, Apr 30, 2005
  4. Nikos wrote:

    > Yes. you can find my webpage at http://www.nikolas.tk

    Connection refused when attempting to contact 83.171.221.228

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, Apr 30, 2005
  5. Nikos

    Nikos Guest

    David Dorward wrote:
    > Nikos wrote:
    >

    >>Yes. you can find my webpage at http://www.nikolas.tk

    > Connection refused when attempting to contact 83.171.221.228

    Try again please. it was a domain => ip redirection problem that has
    been taking care off.

    Nikos, May 1, 2005
  6. Nikos wrote:
    > David Dorward wrote:
    >> Nikos wrote:

    >>>Yes. you can find my webpage at http://www.nikolas.tk

    >> Connection refused when attempting to contact 83.171.221.228

    > Try again please. it was a domain => ip redirection problem that has
    > been taking care off.

    Now, how exactly does that differ from what you expect? Is the generated
    HTML what you expect? Are the styles being applied differently to how you
    expect?

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, May 1, 2005
  7. Nikos

    Nikos Guest

    David Dorward wrote:

    > Now, how exactly does that differ from what you expect? Is the generated
    > HTML what you expect? Are the styles being applied differently to how you
    > expect?

    Well if you try to input data on the user form text boxes and sumit it
    but hitting the Αποστολή button you cant see the output of:

    print div( {class=>'tip'}, "Åõ÷áñéóôþ ðïëý " );
    print div( {class=>'tip'}, "$name <br>" );
    print div( {class=>'tip'}, "Óõíïëéêïß åðéóêÃðôåò: " );
    print div( {class=>'tip'}, "$row->{'count(*)'}" );

    instead we see nothing:

    also in the first page index.pl we dont see the output of:

    print start_form(-action=>'index.pl');
    print p( {-align=>'center'}, span( {class=>'tip'}, "ÄéÜëåîå Ãíá
    áðü ôá êåßìåíá ãéá íá äéáâÜóåéò => " ),
    popup_menu( -name=>'select',
    -values=>\@display_files ),
    submit('ÅðéëïãÞ'))

    Again we see nothing!
    Nikos, May 1, 2005
  8. Nikos

    Nikos Guest

    Also when you hit the ballon icon bottom down the games.l loads and it
    looks unaligned.
    Nikos, May 1, 2005
  9. Nikos

    Greg Schmidt Guest

    On Sun, 01 May 2005 10:21:10 +0100, David Dorward wrote:

    > Now, how exactly does that differ from what you expect? Is the generated
    > HTML what you expect? Are the styles being applied differently to how you
    > expect?

    You may save yourself a lot of grief if you read
    http://groups.google.ca/groups?threadm=d4osq9$921$
    before spending too much time on this. Mark's posts in that thread do a
    nice summation of several other threads posted there by Nikos.

    --
    Greg Schmidt
    Trawna Publications http://trawna.com/
    Greg Schmidt, May 1, 2005
  10. Nikos

    Nikos Guest

    Greg Schmidt wrote:
    > On Sun, 01 May 2005 10:21:10 +0100, David Dorward wrote:
    >

    >>Now, how exactly does that differ from what you expect? Is the generated
    >>HTML what you expect? Are the styles being applied differently to how you
    >>expect?

    > You may save yourself a lot of grief if you read
    > http://groups.google.ca/groups?threadm=d4osq9$921$
    > before spending too much time on this. Mark's posts in that thread do a
    > nice summation of several other threads posted there by Nikos.

    What are you trying to say?

    Wh dont you let David help me?

    --
    "Of course I cant stop you. And that would really bum me out
    if that were my job. But my job isnt to stop you, its to
    Nikos, May 2, 2005
  11. Nikos wrote:

    > David Dorward wrote:
    >
    >> Now, how exactly does that differ from what you expect? Is the generated
    >> HTML what you expect? Are the styles being applied differently to how you
    >> expect?

    > Well if you try to input data on the user form text boxes and sumit it
    > but hitting the ???????? button you cant see the output of:

    <snip>

    You didn't answer the questions.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, May 2, 2005
  12. Nikos

    Greg Schmidt Guest

    On Mon, 02 May 2005 12:11:28 +0300, Nikos wrote:

    > Wh dont you let David help me?

    David is a big boy and can decide for himself whether or not to try to
    help you. I was merely giving him some more facts to base his decision
    on.

    The real question is why haven't you yet learned to help others help
    you. When you post a vague question, with tons of irrelevant material,
    it's impossible to answer it. So, people ask you questions in order to
    narrow down the scope. If you were to answer those questions, then a
    solution could eventually be arrived at. But, instead, you write
    entirely new posts, which do not answer the questions asked of you.

    Until you learn that this is not a productive course to follow, the only
    thing anyone gets out of trying to help you is frustration.

    In any technical group, here's how to get good help:

    1. Narrow the problem down to the bare minimum. In a Perl group, that
    means posting the smallest possible programme which demonstrates the
    problem. In an HTML group, it means the smallest bit of HTML/CSS, and
    none of the Perl that generates it. Perl problems are Perl problems,
    and HTML problems are HTML problems.

    2. Tell us what you expect the result to be.

    3. Tell us what result you are seeing.

    4. Include any relevant information about the environment. For Perl,
    this is the OS and Perl version (and version of modules that you are
    using). For HTML, this is the browser(s) which have the problem.

    To date, I don't think I've ever seen you do any of these. When you
    start doing all four, you will find that you often get good solutions
    very quickly. Until then, I'm afraid you are doomed to repeat yourself.

    Greg Schmidt, May 2, 2005
  13. Nikos

    Guest

    Greg Schmidt wrote:
    > On Mon, 02 May 2005 12:11:28 +0300, Nikos wrote:
    >
    > > Wh dont you let David help me?

    > David is a big boy and can decide for himself whether or not to try

    > help you. I was merely giving him some more facts to base his

    decision
    > on.
    >
    > The real question is why haven't you yet learned to help others help
    > you. When you post a vague question, with tons of irrelevant

    material,
    > it's impossible to answer it. So, people ask you questions in order

    > narrow down the scope. If you were to answer those questions, then a
    > solution could eventually be arrived at. But, instead, you write
    > entirely new posts, which do not answer the questions asked of you.
    >
    > Until you learn that this is not a productive course to follow, the

    only
    > thing anyone gets out of trying to help you is frustration.
    >
    > In any technical group, here's how to get good help:
    >
    > 1. Narrow the problem down to the bare minimum. In a Perl group,

    that
    > means posting the smallest possible programme which demonstrates the
    > problem. In an HTML group, it means the smallest bit of HTML/CSS,

    and
    > none of the Perl that generates it. Perl problems are Perl problems,
    > and HTML problems are HTML problems.
    >
    > 2. Tell us what you expect the result to be.
    >
    > 3. Tell us what result you are seeing.
    >
    > 4. Include any relevant information about the environment. For Perl,
    > this is the OS and Perl version (and version of modules that you are
    > using). For HTML, this is the browser(s) which have the problem.
    >
    > To date, I don't think I've ever seen you do any of these. When you
    > start doing all four, you will find that you often get good solutions
    > very quickly. Until then, I'm afraid you are doomed to repeat

    yourself.

    > --
    > Greg Schmidt
    > Trawna Publications http://trawna.com/
    , May 2, 2005
  14. Nikos

    Nikos Guest

    But i stated the probelm as i good as i could.

    Ask me if you dont understand.

    Nikos, May 2, 2005
  15. Nikos wrote:

    > Ask me if you dont understand.