    thanks in advance

    madan chowdary
    , Jun 26, 2006

  2. wrote:
    > hi all,
    > can anyone briefly describe how to work cgi/perl on tomcat server...
    > i searched the web but could'nt get any sort of information..if
    > possible please send me a working example

    i could just be displaying my ignorance, but i thought Tomcat was a
    servlet container. i think for a web server you want apache.
    it_says_BALLS_on_your_forehead, Jun 26, 2006

    tomcat is a webserver which has a servlet container in it but not
    purely a servlet container..
    it can handle http request and response when a servlet is used and even
    cgi/perl...
    so i just want to know how to configure cgi/perl in tomcat...
    thanks for ur reply anyway..
    , Jun 26, 2006

    if u still doubt...check out web.xml file under conf directory in
    tomcat...
    u can see a commented block specifing abt cgi/perl..and cgi-bin
    directory...
    thats the reason i started this thread...
    , Jun 26, 2006
  5. [ Please choose one posting address and stick with it. ]

    <> wrote:

    > can anyone briefly describe how to work cgi/perl on tomcat server...

    We can discuss the Perl part here in the Perl newsgroup.

    CGI is discussed in the CGI newsgroup: comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi

    Web servers are discussed in the web server newsgroups:

    comp.infosystems.www.servers.mac
    comp.infosystems.www.servers.misc
    comp.infosystems.www.servers.ms-windows
    comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix

    > possible please send me a working example

    #!/usr/bin/perl
    use warnings;
    use strict;
    print "Content-Type: text/plain\n\n";
    print "Hello from the CGI world\n";

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming
    Tad McClellan, Jun 26, 2006

    this is related to perl purely....

    i have a perl script and jsp's...i want to intract between these two...

    i tested with two different servers one apache and other weblogic
    because once one instance of apache is started we cant start another
    server....

    so i used weblogic...to overcome this i want to work on a single server
    and tomcat supports this thing..

    please try to co-operate and post information if you are familar on
    this thread instead of telling this is totally out of this group....

    this is useful for others in this group who wants to do something
    different with perl..
    , Jun 26, 2006
  7. wrote:
    > this is related to perl purely....

    What is related to Perl? Please quote appropriate context -as has been
    customary for 2 decades- when replying such that people have a chance to
    know what you are talking about.

    > i have a perl script and jsp's...i want to intract between these
    > two...
    > i tested with two different servers one apache and other weblogic
    > because once one instance of apache is started we cant start another
    > server....

    This sounds like a problem with your web server.

    > so i used weblogic...to overcome this i want to work on a single
    > server and tomcat supports this thing..

    Ok, fine. But how is this specific to Perl? Are you saying it works fine if
    you are writing your CGI programs in C or Fortran or Cobol?

    > please try to co-operate and post information if you are familar on
    > this thread instead of telling this is totally out of this group....

    Well, if I would do my annual tax return with a Perl program, then a
    question about if I can deduct the lawn fertiziler as business expense for a
    home office would still be off topic to a Perl NG.

    > this is useful for others in this group who wants to do something
    > different with perl..

    The only Perl related part in any CGI question is "perldoc -f print" and
    "perldoc CGI" (plus it's relatives). How to configure a web server has
    nothing to do with Perl.

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Jun 26, 2006
  8. <> wrote:

    > please try to co-operate and post information

    I will.

    I did.

    > if you are familar on
    > this thread instead of telling this is totally out of this group....

    Errr, but what if it *is* totally out of this group?

    You would prefer NOT to know a place that is more likely to have
    people who are able to answer your question?

    OK then.

    > this is useful for others in this group who wants to do something
    > different with perl..

    Configuring web servers is off-topic in this newsgroup, you are
    looking for answers in the wrong place.

    Tad McClellan, Jun 26, 2006
  9. On 26 Jun 2006 06:27:18 -0700, wrote:

    >this is useful for others in this group who wants to do something
    >different with perl..

    It is useful for others in this group who want to do what you're doing
    and are experiencing the same problems as yours at configuring a
    specific web server.

    Should you pause an instant and take a deep breath, you may realize
    that the key point here is not "doing something different with perl"
    but "doing something different with that particular web server".

    Your question has nothing to do with perl code or even perl
    installation, which would be on topic wrt perl. It's *upriver* of
    perl.

    Since perl is useful for web programming, and is often used in that
    area, chances are that there may be some people here who could know
    the answer to your question. This is not an excuse for not asking in
    the most appropriate place, in the first place. Failing that, you may
    ask here as a last resort, clearly underlining this circumstance.

    Michele
    Michele Dondi, Jun 30, 2006