CGI Problems With Xitami

Fuzzyman

OK, so this is n't strictly a Python problem *maybe*

I'm writing a Customer Contact database for our intranet at work. I'm
testing it using Xitami as a localhost server on my Windoze box.

All of a sudden the 'POST' method has stopped working - when I specify
'POST' as the method in forms... the CGI gets no data... and I really
don't want to use 'GET' as it makes the password visible in the URL...

I've looked in the CGI options of the Xitami config and I can't find
anything amiss, or even especially relevant. The Xitami docs say
'POST' should work fine (of course they don't mention python).

Anyone any suggestions or experience.
(Yes I've checked the form construction in the hTML templates - it's
fine. The values don't even make it to Fieldstorage...)

Regards,

Fuzzy

Andrew MacIntyre

All of a sudden the 'POST' method has stopped working - when I specify
'POST' as the method in forms... the CGI gets no data... and I really
don't want to use 'GET' as it makes the password visible in the URL...

Are you using "python -u" when invoking your CGI script? Unbuffered I/O
saves lots of headaches with CGI, especially on Windows.

Dang Griffith

All of a sudden the 'POST' method has stopped working - when I specify
'POST' as the method in forms... the CGI gets no data... and I really
don't want to use 'GET' as it makes the password visible in the URL...

I've looked in the CGI options of the Xitami config and I can't find
anything amiss, or even especially relevant. The Xitami docs say
'POST' should work fine (of course they don't mention python).

Anyone any suggestions or experience.
(Yes I've checked the form construction in the hTML templates - it's
fine. The values don't even make it to Fieldstorage...)

Try capturing the generated HTML source and run it through TidyHTML.

http://tidy.sourceforge.net/
http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy/

It could be something in that page is causing the browser not to post
the data.

--dang

Fuzzyman

Andrew MacIntyre said:
Are you using "python -u" when invoking your CGI script? Unbuffered I/O
saves lots of headaches with CGI, especially on Windows.

Hmmm... I'm not, I'll try it.
I might have fun working out how with Xitami.... and then with
whatever server we have at work :)

I haven't managed to try tidy yet (the windows binary I have doesn't
appear to do anything and we have a censoring proxy at work which
makes getting to most sites 'difficult').

Regards,

Fuzzy

http://www.atlantibots.org.uk/pythonutils.html

Andrew MacIntyre

Hmmm... I'm not, I'll try it.
I might have fun working out how with Xitami.... and then with
whatever server we have at work :)

I vaguely recall that Xitami might honour the "#!" convention, so try
heading your scripts with

#!<path\to\>python -u

Fuzzyman

Andrew MacIntyre said:
I vaguely recall that Xitami might honour the "#!" convention, so try
heading your scripts with

#!<path\to\>python -u

Hmm.. tried that.
It doesn't trip Xitami up - so I'm assuming it works :)
On the other hand it doesn't help.

Weird - the same setup works at work... but not at home.... At work
POST behaves fine, whilst at home I have to switch it to using GET..
most frustrating. Obviously *something* is causing this - but I can't
track it down.

Regards,

Fuzzy