CGI Problems With Xitami

Discussion in 'Python' started by Fuzzyman, Apr 8, 2004.

  1. Fuzzyman

    Fuzzyman Guest

    OK, so this is n't strictly a Python problem *maybe*

    I'm writing a Customer Contact database for our intranet at work. I'm
    testing it using Xitami as a localhost server on my Windoze box.

    All of a sudden the 'POST' method has stopped working - when I specify
    'POST' as the method in forms... the CGI gets no data... and I really
    don't want to use 'GET' as it makes the password visible in the URL...

    I've looked in the CGI options of the Xitami config and I can't find
    anything amiss, or even especially relevant. The Xitami docs say
    'POST' should work fine (of course they don't mention python).

    Anyone any suggestions or experience.
    (Yes I've checked the form construction in the hTML templates - it's
    fine. The values don't even make it to Fieldstorage...)

    Regards,

    Fuzzy

    Fuzzyman, Apr 8, 2004

  2. On Thu, 8 Apr 2004, Fuzzyman wrote:

    > All of a sudden the 'POST' method has stopped working - when I specify
    > 'POST' as the method in forms... the CGI gets no data... and I really
    > don't want to use 'GET' as it makes the password visible in the URL...

    Are you using "python -u" when invoking your CGI script? Unbuffered I/O
    saves lots of headaches with CGI, especially on Windows.

    --
    Andrew I MacIntyre "These thoughts are mine alone..."
    E-mail: (pref) | Snail: PO Box 370

    Andrew MacIntyre, Apr 8, 2004

  3. On 8 Apr 2004 00:56:59 -0700, (Fuzzyman) wrote:

    >All of a sudden the 'POST' method has stopped working - when I specify
    >'POST' as the method in forms... the CGI gets no data... and I really
    >don't want to use 'GET' as it makes the password visible in the URL...
    >
    >I've looked in the CGI options of the Xitami config and I can't find
    >anything amiss, or even especially relevant. The Xitami docs say
    >'POST' should work fine (of course they don't mention python).
    >
    >Anyone any suggestions or experience.
    >(Yes I've checked the form construction in the hTML templates - it's
    >fine. The values don't even make it to Fieldstorage...)

    Try capturing the generated HTML source and run it through TidyHTML.

    http://tidy.sourceforge.net/
    http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy/

    It could be something in that page is causing the browser not to post
    the data.

    --dang

    Dang Griffith, Apr 8, 2004
  4. Fuzzyman

    Fuzzyman Guest

    Andrew MacIntyre <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On Thu, 8 Apr 2004, Fuzzyman wrote:
    >
    > > All of a sudden the 'POST' method has stopped working - when I specify
    > > 'POST' as the method in forms... the CGI gets no data... and I really
    > > don't want to use 'GET' as it makes the password visible in the URL...

    > Are you using "python -u" when invoking your CGI script? Unbuffered I/O
    > saves lots of headaches with CGI, especially on Windows.

    Hmmm... I'm not, I'll try it.
    I might have fun working out how with Xitami.... and then with
    whatever server we have at work :)

    I haven't managed to try tidy yet (the windows binary I have doesn't
    appear to do anything and we have a censoring proxy at work which
    makes getting to most sites 'difficult').

    Regards,

    Fuzzy

    http://www.atlantibots.org.uk/pythonutils.html

    Fuzzyman, Apr 9, 2004
  5. Fuzzyman

    Fuzzyman Guest

    Dang Griffith <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On 8 Apr 2004 00:56:59 -0700, (Fuzzyman) wrote:
    >
    > >All of a sudden the 'POST' method has stopped working - when I specify
    > >'POST' as the method in forms... the CGI gets no data... and I really
    > >don't want to use 'GET' as it makes the password visible in the URL...
    > >
    > >I've looked in the CGI options of the Xitami config and I can't find
    > >anything amiss, or even especially relevant. The Xitami docs say
    > >'POST' should work fine (of course they don't mention python).
    > >
    > >Anyone any suggestions or experience.
    > >(Yes I've checked the form construction in the hTML templates - it's
    > >fine. The values don't even make it to Fieldstorage...)

    > Try capturing the generated HTML source and run it through TidyHTML.
    >
    > http://tidy.sourceforge.net/
    > http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy/
    >
    > It could be something in that page is causing the browser not to post
    > the data.
    >
    > --dang

    Will try it - Thanks

    Fuzzyman, Apr 9, 2004
  6. On Sat, 9 Apr 2004, Fuzzyman wrote:

    > Andrew MacIntyre <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > > Are you using "python -u" when invoking your CGI script? Unbuffered I/O
    > > saves lots of headaches with CGI, especially on Windows.

    > Hmmm... I'm not, I'll try it.
    > I might have fun working out how with Xitami.... and then with
    > whatever server we have at work :)

    I vaguely recall that Xitami might honour the "#!" convention, so try
    heading your scripts with

    #!<path\to\>python -u

    Andrew MacIntyre, Apr 10, 2004
  7. Fuzzyman

    Fuzzyman Guest

    Andrew MacIntyre <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On Sat, 9 Apr 2004, Fuzzyman wrote:
    >
    > > Andrew MacIntyre <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > > > Are you using "python -u" when invoking your CGI script? Unbuffered I/O
    > > > saves lots of headaches with CGI, especially on Windows.

    > > Hmmm... I'm not, I'll try it.
    > > I might have fun working out how with Xitami.... and then with
    > > whatever server we have at work :)

    > I vaguely recall that Xitami might honour the "#!" convention, so try
    > heading your scripts with
    >
    > #!<path\to\>python -u

    Hmm.. tried that.
    It doesn't trip Xitami up - so I'm assuming it works :)
    On the other hand it doesn't help.

    Weird - the same setup works at work... but not at home.... At work
    POST behaves fine, whilst at home I have to switch it to using GET..
    most frustrating. Obviously *something* is causing this - but I can't
    track it down.

    Regards,

    Fuzzy

    Fuzzyman, Apr 13, 2004