CGI programming in C

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by dandelion, Nov 25, 2004.

  1. dandelion

    dandelion Guest

    "amitjoshi03" <> wrote in message

    > hi all,
    >
    > I am learning to write the CGI programming in C.I need more information
    > regarding this.
    >
    > Plz let me know any tutorials are avilable online or any other good
    > book for this which covers almost all CGI programming aspects such as
    > attaching files,reading files,etc...

    Sorry....

    That *wildly* off topic here. If you have any questions on the language 'C',
    i'm sure there are plenty of folks willing to assist you. However, CGI is
    not covered.

    Regards,

    dandelion.
    dandelion, Nov 25, 2004

  2. dandelion

    amitjoshi03 Guest

    hi all,

    I am learning to write the CGI programming in C.I need more informatio
    regarding this.

    Plz let me know any tutorials are avilable online or any other goo
    book for this which covers almost all CGI programming aspects such a
    attaching files,reading files,etc...

    regards,
    Ami

    -
    amitjoshi0
    amitjoshi03, Nov 25, 2004

  3. dandelion

    Martijn Guest

    dandelion wrote:
    >> I am learning to write the CGI programming in C.I need more
    >> information regarding this.

    > That *wildly* off topic here.

    Try comp.programming

    --
    Martijn
    http://www.sereneconcepts.nl
    Martijn, Nov 25, 2004
  4. dandelion

    Materialised Guest

    dandelion wrote:
    > "amitjoshi03" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>hi all,
    >>
    >>I am learning to write the CGI programming in C.I need more information
    >>regarding this.
    >>
    >>Plz let me know any tutorials are avilable online or any other good
    >>book for this which covers almost all CGI programming aspects such as
    >>attaching files,reading files,etc...

    > Sorry....
    >
    > That *wildly* off topic here. If you have any questions on the language 'C',
    > i'm sure there are plenty of folks willing to assist you. However, CGI is
    > not covered.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > dandelion.

    Why is CGI not covered?
    Is it not possible to make a CGI application with ANSI/ISO C?

    --
    perl -e 'printf %silto%c%sal%c%s%ccodegurus%corg%c, ma, 58, mw, 107,
    'er', 64, 46, 10;'

    Homer: "And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides,
    every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my
    brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot
    how to drive?"
    Materialised, Nov 25, 2004
  5. dandelion

    dandelion Guest

    "Materialised" <> wrote in message
    > dandelion wrote:
    > > "amitjoshi03" <> wrote in

    message

    > >>hi all,
    > >>
    > >>I am learning to write the CGI programming in C.I need more information
    > >>regarding this.
    > >>
    > >>Plz let me know any tutorials are avilable online or any other good
    > >>book for this which covers almost all CGI programming aspects such as
    > >>attaching files,reading files,etc...

    > > Sorry....
    > >
    > > That *wildly* off topic here. If you have any questions on the language

    'C',
    > > i'm sure there are plenty of folks willing to assist you. However, CGI

    is
    > > not covered.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > dandelion.
    > >

    > Why is CGI not covered?

    Because it's not 'C'.

    > Is it not possible to make a CGI application with ANSI/ISO C?

    Sure. Many things are written in 'C' which are not on topic here. The topic
    is the *language* C itself, not the many possible applications of that
    language. Let alone an interface between an HTTP server and external
    applications.

    If you have a problem with 'C' while writing your software, you're more than
    welcome to pose any question you like.

    <snip sig>
    dandelion, Nov 25, 2004
  6. dandelion

    Richard Bos Guest

    Materialised <> wrote:

    > dandelion wrote:
    > > "amitjoshi03" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>I am learning to write the CGI programming in C.I need more information
    > >>regarding this.
    > >>
    > >>Plz let me know any tutorials are avilable online or any other good
    > >>book for this which covers almost all CGI programming aspects such as
    > >>attaching files,reading files,etc...

    > > That *wildly* off topic here. If you have any questions on the language 'C',
    > > i'm sure there are plenty of folks willing to assist you. However, CGI is
    > > not covered.
    > >

    > Why is CGI not covered?
    > Is it not possible to make a CGI application with ANSI/ISO C?

    Sure. In fact, it's relatively easy. It's also possible to write a BASIC
    interpreter in ISO C, but that doesn't make BASIC on-topic in
    comp.lang.c.

    The parts of writing a CGI program in C that are actually C are
    - read settings from the environment using getenv();
    - possibly read input from stdin using fgets(), getchar(), scanf() or
    whatever mechanism you prefer;
    - write your output to stdout using printf(), puts(), et cetera.

    Parsing your input and deciding what it means is CGI, not C - unless you
    know _what_ you want to do, but have problems translating it into C. For
    example, "What does the variable AUTH_TYPE mean?" is a CGI question, not
    C. OTOH, "How do I separate the name and the version number in
    SERVER_SOFTWARE?" is a C question (answer: use strchr()).

    Richard
    Richard Bos, Nov 25, 2004
  7. dandelion

    Randy Howard Guest

    Re: CGI programming in C [OT]

    In article <1101386168.h6uRNNdihmTEgvWjBvTeVQ@tng>,
    says...

    > hi all,
    >
    > I am learning to write the CGI programming in C.I need more information
    > regarding this.

    It's OT as you've already been told. It's also not as widely done today
    as it once was, other things being available, but check out "CGI
    Programming in C & Perl" by Boutell.

    --
    Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)
    "For some reason most people seem to be born without the part
    Randy Howard, Nov 25, 2004
  8. dandelion

    Blah Guest

    Re: CGI programming in C [OT]

    On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 17:27:27 GMT, Randy Howard

    Also check out http://www.boutell.com/cgic/
    Blah, Nov 26, 2004