CGI programming in C

dandelion

amitjoshi03 said:
hi all,

I am learning to write the CGI programming in C.I need more information
regarding this.

Plz let me know any tutorials are avilable online or any other good
book for this which covers almost all CGI programming aspects such as
attaching files,reading files,etc...

Sorry....

That *wildly* off topic here. If you have any questions on the language 'C',
i'm sure there are plenty of folks willing to assist you. However, CGI is
not covered.

Regards,

dandelion.

amitjoshi03

hi all,

I am learning to write the CGI programming in C.I need more informatio
regarding this.

Plz let me know any tutorials are avilable online or any other goo
book for this which covers almost all CGI programming aspects such a
attaching files,reading files,etc...

regards,
Ami

-
amitjoshi0

Materialised

dandelion said:
Sorry....

That *wildly* off topic here. If you have any questions on the language 'C',
i'm sure there are plenty of folks willing to assist you. However, CGI is
not covered.

Regards,

dandelion.
Why is CGI not covered?
Is it not possible to make a CGI application with ANSI/ISO C?

--
perl -e 'printf %silto%c%sal%c%s%ccodegurus%corg%c, ma, 58, mw, 107,
'er', 64, 46, 10;'

Homer: "And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides,
every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my
brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot
how to drive?"

dandelion

Materialised said:
Why is CGI not covered?

Because it's not 'C'.
Is it not possible to make a CGI application with ANSI/ISO C?

Sure. Many things are written in 'C' which are not on topic here. The topic
is the *language* C itself, not the many possible applications of that
language. Let alone an interface between an HTTP server and external
applications.

If you have a problem with 'C' while writing your software, you're more than
welcome to pose any question you like.

<snip sig>

Richard Bos

Materialised said:
Why is CGI not covered?
Is it not possible to make a CGI application with ANSI/ISO C?

Sure. In fact, it's relatively easy. It's also possible to write a BASIC
interpreter in ISO C, but that doesn't make BASIC on-topic in
comp.lang.c.

The parts of writing a CGI program in C that are actually C are
- read settings from the environment using getenv();
- possibly read input from stdin using fgets(), getchar(), scanf() or
whatever mechanism you prefer;
- write your output to stdout using printf(), puts(), et cetera.

Parsing your input and deciding what it means is CGI, not C - unless you
know _what_ you want to do, but have problems translating it into C. For
example, "What does the variable AUTH_TYPE mean?" is a CGI question, not
C. OTOH, "How do I separate the name and the version number in
SERVER_SOFTWARE?" is a C question (answer: use strchr()).

Richard

Randy Howard

hi all,

I am learning to write the CGI programming in C.I need more information
regarding this.

It's OT as you've already been told. It's also not as widely done today
as it once was, other things being available, but check out "CGI
Programming in C & Perl" by Boutell.