cgi upload of very large files (>2GB)

darksaga

hi ppl,

i have to upload very big files (could be bigger 2gb) web-based via
http (input type="file") to our intranet tomcat server. Therefore i use
following cgi script
(http://www.freeware-base.de/freeware-base-artikel11663.html) which i
modified to our needs. It indicates upload speed, time left etc. (see
link). Everything works pretty fine with files up to 2GB, speed is very
nice (transfer of 1GB in around 1minute), but i have problems to upload
files bigger than 2GB.
Some files i need to upload are 3-4gb (sequence databases).
If you click the browse butten to select such a file (bigger than 2GB),
file size is shown in the popped up filechooser as "0" and you are not
able to select it.
Biggest file i could select was (2140686574Bytes = 1,99GB), but some i
need to upload, as said above, are ~4000000000Byte=4GB.
I think the problem is not the cgi script, its the html form input
type="file".

Anybody knows if there's a maximum file size it can handle and if there
is a workaround?

Help would be very appriciated

greets darksaga

A. Sinan Unur

Please avoid childish spelling.
i have to upload very big files (could be bigger 2gb) web-based via
http (input type="file") to our intranet tomcat server. Therefore i use
following cgi script
(http://www.freeware-base.de/freeware-base-artikel11663.html) which i

I guess it is not as bad as it could be but it is close.

modified to our needs. It indicates upload speed, time left etc. (see
link). Everything works pretty fine with files up to 2GB, speed is very
nice (transfer of 1GB in around 1minute), but i have problems to upload
files bigger than 2GB.

You are hitting either a perl limit or OS limit.

1. Does the server have the ability to create and access files larger than
2GB?

2. Does perl -V indicate:

uselargefiles=define

Sinan

darksaga

have to check it tomorrow @ work, if uselargefiles is defined

do I have any other possibilities to upload such big files to the
server, maybe ftp? i'm not that familiar with perl&cgi (i'm new in perl
programming).

the only problem i see: everything has to be done from a html page. The
method i'm using now, is imo pretty nice & user friendly, and works
very good for files < 2 GB.

greets

darksaga

usenet

darksaga said:
do I have any other possibilities to upload such big files to the
server, maybe ftp?

If the operating system (or, really, the filesystem) won't let you
create a file larger than 2 GB then there is no possible way to create
a file larger than 2 GB. It does not matter HOW you try to create it.

I happen to know that, on IBM AIX, the "default" journaled file system
has a 2 GB filesize limitation. On reasonably modern versions of AIX,
it is possible to create a JFS filesystem that is "Large File Enabled"
(and does not have this limitation) but this must be done when the
filesystem is initially created.

A. Sinan Unur

do I have any other possibilities to upload such big files to the
server, maybe ftp?

That's not going to help if the OS does not allow.
i'm not that familiar with perl

One idea might be to save the uploaded data in 1GB sized chunks.

Perl is not CGI. CGI is not Perl.
(i'm new in perl programming).

Please read the posting guidelines and the FAQ.
the only problem i see: everything has to be done from a html page.

You might want to try the CGI group:

comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi

Sinan
--
A. Sinan Unur <[email protected]>

xhoster

darksaga said:
hi ppl,

i have to upload very big files (could be bigger 2gb) web-based via
http (input type="file") to our intranet tomcat server. Therefore i use
following cgi script
(http://www.freeware-base.de/freeware-base-artikel11663.html) which i
modified to our needs. It indicates upload speed, time left etc. (see
link). Everything works pretty fine with files up to 2GB, speed is very
nice (transfer of 1GB in around 1minute), but i have problems to upload
files bigger than 2GB.
Some files i need to upload are 3-4gb (sequence databases).
If you click the browse butten to select such a file (bigger than 2GB),
file size is shown in the popped up filechooser as "0" and you are not
able to select it.

The file chooser is part of your web browser. This seems to be a
limitation of your web browser, and is probably unrelated to Perl or the
download program you linked to. (Not there could not also be a problem
there, but you are not getting far enough in the process to activate such a
problem, if any, in that part.)

Xho