CGI zombies with Apache 1.3 on Linux

Discussion in 'Python' started by Robert Brewer, Dec 10, 2004.

  1. I've Googled extensively, but can't figure out what might be causing my
    Python CGI app to zombie (yes, Tibia, the one I just announced ;). The
    cgi bit looks like this:

    def cgi_handler():
    import cgi

    form = cgi.FieldStorage(keep_blank_values=True)
    params = dict([(key, form[key].value) for key in form])

    env = os.environ.get
    filename = env('PATH_TRANSLATED') or env('SCRIPT_FILENAME')
    username = env('AUTH_USER') or env('REMOTE_USER') or
    env('LOGON_USER')
    app = TibiaApp(params, filename, username)
    print "Content-type: %s\n" % app.content_type
    print "".join(app.output)

    if __name__ == '__main__':
    cgi_handler()

    Should I be explicitly closing stdout at the end of cgi_handler()? I
    don't get a zombie with every request.

    Robert Brewer
    MIS
    Amor Ministries
    Robert Brewer, Dec 10, 2004

  2. Robert Brewer wrote:

    > I've Googled extensively, but can't figure out what might be causing my
    > Python CGI app to zombie (yes, Tibia, the one I just announced ;). The
    > cgi bit looks like this:

    Zombies are caused by forking a subprocess and the parent not waiting on
    it. Does your system (sometimes) spin off a subprocess?

    Defeat is a school in which truth always grows strong.
    -- Henry Ward Beecher
    Erik Max Francis, Dec 10, 2004