Ch 3 of my writings, first few sections posted

Alf P. Steinbach

Tentatively titled "Foundations".

Also, these first 2/3 sections may be moved to some later point, i.e. even the
structure is tentative, but I'd value comments!

<url: http://tinyurl.com/programmingbookP3>

Table of contents:

3 Foundations 1
3.1 Some necessary math notation & terminology. 2
3.1.1 The vocabulary and notation of basic arithmetic, including Σ and Π. 2
3.1.2 Quadratic and exponential time & memory (also introducing timeit). 5
-EOT_ 9

Cheers,

- Alf

PS: Hm, Open Office's PDF generation does funny things with Greek sigmas inside
formulas! I don't mind so much that it makes table divider lines very fat and
bold and that it can't handle certain figures (which I have to paste in manually
as bitmaps), but really it should be able to handle simple text. Grr.

Alf P. Steinbach

This is an introduction to programming based on Python 3.x in Windows.

It's posted as PDFs on Google Docs.

Currently 2 full chapters plus a little of chapter 3, about 120 pages in total;
chapters 1 and 2 reviewed by [comp.programming] and [comp.lang.python] residents
(although I have no doubt that there are many errors etc., all mine!).

* Alf P. Steinbach, in [comp.lang.python]:
[...]

I forgot to cross-post this to [comp.programming], the quoted article above was
only posted to [comp.lang.python]. I now cross-posted it also to
[comp.lang.c++]. I know, it's a bit OT in clc++, but it makes a nice contrast,
and can be relevant for all those threads about "how do I learn programming"...

And I've now posted an updated and full table of contents to Google Docs site,
URL above.

Comments very welcome -- now it's Christmas and I'll probably not be able to
respond or fix anything until early January, but still comments very welcome!

Cheers,

- Alf

PS: For clc++: why did I give up writing a beginner's book based on C++? Well,
for one, in C++ it got too complicated and long the way I wanted it, "real". And
secondly, Francis, Andrew & Barbara and Bjarne have by now got that covered!

PPS: Also for clc++: where is my C++ tutorial, referenced from the FAQ (§29.21)?
Well, first it moved to another URL, since [start.no] discontinued their
service. Then that new free provider ceased to exist, so that now it's nowhere,
and I've forgotten all about it. And probably will, yet again! I've CC-ed this
to Marshall Cline so that perhaps he can update the FAQ to e.g.
[http://cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/], which by now is, well, acceptable quality!