Challenge supporting custom deepcopy with inheritance

Michael H. Goldwasser

I've been playing around recently with customizing the deepcopy
semantics within an inheritance hierarchy, and run across the
following hurdle.

Assume that class B inherits from class A, and that class A has
legitimately customized its deepcopy semantics (but in a way that is
not known to class B). If we want a deepcopy of B to be defined so
that relevant state inherited from A is copied as would be done for
class A, and with B able to control how to deepcopy the extra state
that it introduces. I cannot immediately find a general way to
properly implement the deepcopy of B.

To make the discussion tangible, I include an outrageously artificial
example in the code fragment below. In this code, class A implements
__deepcopy__ to intentionally create a clone that has a reversed
version of a list instance. The beginning of the main test
demonstrates that an instance of A can successfully be cloned with this
semantics. But the attempt to deepcopy an instance of B fails (the
current failure is because B has not implemented __deepcopy__ and the
inherited version of A.__deepcopy__ assumes the wrong constructor
signature).

The question is how class B should defined so that its instances can
"inherit" this deepcopy semantic. Ideally, I'd like to find a recipe
for class B that works regardless of how A accomplishes its semantics.
That is, I can find ways to rewrite A to be more supportive of B's
goal, but I'd like to know if there is a general solution that could
be used if the author of B doesn't have control over A's
implementation.

Here are some initial thoughts:

* I'm only concerned with single inheritance (thankfully)

* If A had relied on use of __getstate__ and __setstate__ to affect
the desired change, then the inheritance works as desired. But I
have an application where I want to leave the default pickling
behavior alone, and only to change what happens with clones.

* If we did not use inheritance, but instead had a class B that had
an A instance in its state, this is easy. We would call deepcopy
on the A instance to get an acceptable copy of that instance for
the new B. But in the example below, we insist on B being a
subtype of A.

* If A.__deepcopy__ had started
dup = A(self.__aTag)
rather than
dup = self.__class__(self.__aTag)

then the following perverse approach for B.__deepcopy__ succeeds:

def __deepcopy__(self, memo={}):
tempBTag = self.__bTag
tempBList = self.__bList
del self.__bTag # hide these attributes to avoid risk
del self.__bList # that they affect A.__deepcopy__
dupA = A.__deepcopy__(self, memo)
self.__bTag = tempBTag
self.__bList = tempBList
dup = B.__new__(B)
memo[id(self)] = dup
dup.__dict__ = dupA.__dict__
dup.__bTag = copy.deepcopy(self.__bTag, memo)
dup.__bList = copy.deepcopy(self.__bList, memo)
return dup

but this again presumes that we have some control over the
strategy employed by class A, it relies on the fact that
A.__deepcopy__ succeeded when the first parameter was actually an
instance of class B rather than class A, and it seems like a
perverse strategy on the whole, even if it does succeed on this
example. Also, there could be a flaw n that dupA may recursively
have included a reference back to that instance, yet we'd need
such a reference to be to dup not dupA in the end.

I'm hoping that I've just missed a cleaner way to do this.
I welcome any comments, discussion, or suggestions.

With regard,
Michael

import copy

class A(object):
def __init__(self, aTag):
self.__aTag = aTag
self.__aList = []

def addA(self, val):
self.__aList.append(val)

def __repr__(self):
return (
"aTag: " + self.__aTag +
"\naList ("+str(id(self.__aList))+"): " + repr(self.__aList)
)

def __deepcopy__(self, memo={}):
dup = self.__class__(self.__aTag)
memo[id(self)] = dup
dup.__aList = copy.deepcopy(self.__aList, memo)
dup.__aList.reverse()
return dup

class B(A):
def __init__(self, aTag, bTag):
A.__init__(self, aTag)
self.__bTag = bTag
self.__bList = []

def addB(self, val):
self.__bList.append(val)

def __repr__(self):
return (
A.__repr__(self) +
"\nbTag: " + self.__bTag +
"\nbList ("+str(id(self.__bList))+"): " + repr(self.__bList)
)

# How can B support a deepcopy that provides deepcopy of bTag and
# bList while getting the semantics of A's deepcopy for
# attributes defined by A?

if __name__ == '__main__':
print "Test of class A\n==============="
foo = A('alice')
foo.addA(1)
foo.addA(2)

bar = copy.deepcopy(foo)

print "\nOriginal Foo:"
print foo
print "\nOriginal (deepcopy) Bar:"
print bar

bar.addA(0)

print "\n(mutated) Bar:"
print bar
print "Original Foo:"
print foo

print "Test of class B\n==============="
foo = B('alice', 'bob')
foo.addA(1)
foo.addA(2)
foo.addB('hello')
foo.addB('goodbye')

bar = copy.deepcopy(foo) # crashes

print "\nOriginal Foo:"
print foo
print "\nOriginal (deepcopy) Bar:"
print bar

bar.addA(0)
bar.addB('adios')

print "\n(mutated) Bar:"
print bar
print "Original Foo:"
print foo

Aahz

Assume that class B inherits from class A, and that class A has
legitimately customized its deepcopy semantics (but in a way that is
not known to class B). If we want a deepcopy of B to be defined so
that relevant state inherited from A is copied as would be done for
class A, and with B able to control how to deepcopy the extra state
that it introduces. I cannot immediately find a general way to
properly implement the deepcopy of B.

[...]

class A(object):
def __init__(self, aTag):
self.__aTag = aTag
self.__aList = []

IMO, your problem starts right here. Not only are you using customized
attributes for each class, you're using class-private identifiers. You
would vastly simplify your work if you switch to single-underscore
attributes.

Michael H. Goldwasser

class A(object):
def __init__(self, aTag):
self.__aTag = aTag
self.__aList = []

IMO, your problem starts right here. Not only are you using customized
attributes for each class, you're using class-private identifiers. You
would vastly simplify your work if you switch to single-underscore
attributes.

Hi Aahz,

I intentionally chose the class-private identifiers in my artificial
example to emphasize that I was looking for a solution in which
class B did not have to rely on particular knowledge of class A's
implementation. That said, switching to single-underscores does not
address the issue raised in the original post.

Michael

Aahz

Michael Goldwasser:
class A(object):
def __init__(self, aTag):
self.__aTag = aTag
self.__aList = []

IMO, your problem starts right here. Not only are you using customized
attributes for each class, you're using class-private identifiers. You
would vastly simplify your work if you switch to single-underscore
attributes.

I intentionally chose the class-private identifiers in my artificial
example to emphasize that I was looking for a solution in which
class B did not have to rely on particular knowledge of class A's
implementation. That said, switching to single-underscores does not
address the issue raised in the original post.

Not directly, but it does simplify possible solutions. For example, you
could use a straightforward getattr() approach where the class contains
an attribute listing all the deep-copyable attributes. You could even
use name-munging so that attributes can have an accompanying
ATTR_deepcopy() method for custom code so that your main __deepcopy__
method stays the same in subclasses.

(Obviously, this trick does in fact still work if you use private
attributes and do the name-mangling yourself, but I find that distasteful
for production code unless it's absolutely required.)
--
Aahz ([email protected]) <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

"Given that C++ has pointers and typecasts, it's really hard to have a
serious conversation about type safety with a C++ programmer and keep a
straight face. It's kind of like having a guy who juggles chainsaws
wearing body armor arguing with a guy who juggles rubber chickens wearing
a T-shirt about who's in more danger." --Roy Smith, c.l.py, 2004.05.23