Challenging question regarding AJAX Toolkit AutoCompleteExtender andURL rewriting

mazdotnet

Hi guys,

I'm running into an issue where my AutoCompleteExtender stops working
as soon as I make changes to my global.asax file for URL rewriting. I
just want to take a URL http://www.sample.com/file1234.aspx and pass
it to asp.net engine as http://www.sample.com/parse.aspx?id=1234 which
works great. Except some components of AJAX Toolkit stopped working
ex. AutoCompleteExtender as soon as I do the URL rewrite.

This is what I have in my global.asax

HttpContext incoming = HttpContext.Current;
string oldPath = incoming.Request.Path.ToLower();
string newPath = string.Empty;

I check the oldPath and parse the information that I need and assign
it to newPath and post for processing

incoming.RewritePath(newPath);

As soon as I remove global.asax from the site, my AutoCompleteExtender
starts working again. Any idea?

Thank you
Maz

[...]

BTW, all you have to do to make AutoCompleteExtender stop working is
to add

protected void Application_BeginRequest(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
HttpContext incoming = HttpContext.Current;
string oldPath = incoming.Request.Path;
incoming.RewritePath(oldPath);
}
to Global.asax file. Anyone knows why?

Thx

George Ter-Saakov

If you URL has query parameters then Request.Path will strip then,
so in url http://www.myserver.com/mypage.aspx?q1=aaa
the Request.Path is /mypage.aspx

So when you rewrite it you loosing the query parameters.

Might be the case....

try something like
ctx.RewritePath(oldPath, "", Request.Url.Query);

PS: You might need to strip out question mark since as far as I recall
Request.Url.Query comes back like "?q1=aaa"

George.