Chameleon ++

Samuel Sagan

Hi
I'm considering starting a new project at SourceForge, codenamed
'Chameleon++'.

The concept is to develop a set of C++ clases and functions that closely
mimmick the Python fundamentals: lists, tups, dictionnary, built-in
functions and, later, as many modules as possible.

This would make it relatively easy to convert Python code into C++, using
mainly regular expressions and string replacement.

In other words: compile Python apps via C++.

Less important, but could come handy at times: the Chameleon++ subset of C++
would make it very easy for people knowing Python to write in C++.
(Chameleon++ would not use pointers, etc -- only what we use in Python.)

Among other things, Chameleon should also provide a pathway to .NET, since
C++ compiles to .NET. But the main goal remains to compile Python apps via
the C++ route.

Before starting, any comments or directions you may have would be greatly
appreciated.

Samuel Sagan

F. GEIGER

Have a look at Pike and ElastiC. They both offer scripting-like features.
Probably you can find there some ideas.

Cheers
Franz GEIGER

Robin Becker

Samuel said:
[...]

Before reinventing the wheel, have you compared what you intend with
what boost python already does? Or is the intention to emulate python in
C++? There's also a python for net extension recently announced (I
forget the name). In addition the pypy project intends to write python
code translators and have it translate python to various backends.

Wilk

Samuel Sagan said:
Hi
I'm considering starting a new project at SourceForge, codenamed
'Chameleon++'.

The concept is to develop a set of C++ clases and functions that closely
mimmick the Python fundamentals: lists, tups, dictionnary, built-in
functions and, later, as many modules as possible.

This would make it relatively easy to convert Python code into C++, using
mainly regular expressions and string replacement.

It look a lot like pyrex isn't it ?
http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg/python/Pyrex/
"Pyrex lets you write code that mixes Python and C data types any way you
want, and compiles it into a C extension for Python. "

Ewoud

Samuel said:
[...]

I think a major part of what makes python so useful are the modules that
come with it. Without those it would still take a lot of effort to port
any python app to c++. Do you have any ideas on how you will handle that?

Regards,
Ewoud