change chr(9) ?

max

Help

I have txt file with chr(9) in text, how to change chr(9) - horizontal tab
to chr(32)"space"

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Abigail said:
max wrote:
!! I have txt file with chr(9) in text, how to change chr(9) - horizontal tab
!! to chr(32)"space"

I'd use 'tr'. But that isn't Perl.

Why do you say that 'tr' is not Perl?

Ben Morrow

Quoth Gunnar Hjalmarsson said:
Why do you say that 'tr' is not Perl?

Because Abigail was referring to the tr(1) Unix utility, which is not
Perl. Perl derives its tr/// operator from the tr(1) utility.

Ben

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Abigail said:
Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
][ Abigail wrote:
][ > max wrote:
][ > !! I have txt file with chr(9) in text, how to change chr(9) - horizontal tab
][ > !! to chr(32)"space"
][ >
][ > I'd use 'tr'. But that isn't Perl.
][
][ Why do you say that 'tr' is not Perl?

$ which tr
/usr/bin/tr
$ which perl
/opt/perl/bin/perl

Well, since this is a Perl group, the readers had good reasons to assume
that you were referring to the Perl operator tr///.