Change CSS Class property using javascript?

Noozer

I have several tags on a webpage of the same class. If the user clicks a
specific checkbox I'd like to be able to alter the display property of the
class, affecting all objects of that class.

This is an intranet application so we know that javascript will be enabled
and the browser will be IE.

How can I affect all the members of this class? Is there a way I can toggle
the DISPLAY property of a class so all the elements using that class would
be affected?

ie:

default.css file contains the following and is included into the HTLM
document:

.topicone { display:none; }
.topictwo { display:none; }

Relevant section of HTML code:
<input type="checkbox" onclick="flip('topicone')'">Show me information
about topic one.<br>
<input type="checkbox" onclick="flip('topictwo')'">Show me information
about topic two.<br>

RobB

Noozer said:
[...]

Not really enough information, but...IE-only:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

<head>
<title>untitled</title>

body {
font: normal 90% verdana;
}
..topicone {
font: normal 80% verdana;
color: #600;
display: none;
}
..topictwo {
font: normal 80% verdana;
color: #060;
display: none;
}

<script type="text/javascript">

function IE_set_class(clanSheetame)
{
var re = new RegExp(clanSheetame);
var rules, nRule,
nRules, SS, nSheet = 0,
nSheets = document.styleSheets.length;
for (nSheet; nSheet < nSheets; ++nSheet)
{
SS = document.styleSheets.item(nSheet);
rules = SS.rules;
nRules = rules.length;
for (nRule = 0; nRule < nRules; ++nRule)
{
rule = SS.rules.item(nRule);
if (re.test(rule.selectorText))
{
for (var a = 1; a < arguments.length; a+=2)
rule.style[arguments[a]] = arguments[a + 1];
return;

function toggleclass(obj)
{
var dval = obj.checked ? 'block' : 'none';
IE_set_class(obj.value, 'display', dval)
}

onload = function()
{//keep things in sync
var i = 0,
ipt,
ipts = document.getElementsByTagName('input');
while (ipt = ipts.item(i++))
if (/toggle/i.test(ipt.name))
ipt.onclick();
}

</script>
</head>
<form>
<input type="checkbox" name="toggle" value="topicone"
onclick="toggleclass(this)">Show me information
about topic one.<br>
<input type="checkbox" name="toggle" value="topictwo"
onclick="toggleclass(this)">Show me information
about topic two.<br>
</form>

RobG

Rob said:
...lol - I did a S&R to change var 'SSn' to 'nSheet' and it also changed
'classname' to 'clanSheetame' which sounds vaguely Scottish. I am sorry.
:eek:

And here I was thinking you were being creative. Shazam!