    with SQL Server 2000 on the back end since I keep reading that windows
    authentication is better practice to log into SQL Server. Thanks in
    advance.

    J, May 5, 2006

  2. J

    Matt Guest

    Is it absolutely necessary for users to change their passwords via an ASP
    page? You can setup Windows Authentication on an ASP application in IIS. If
    a user needs to change their password they can change it the standard way of
    pressing CNTRL+ALT+Delete and clicking the change password button (Windows
    XP). Otherwise, you would have to create your own custom control to enable
    users to change their passwords (not sure how or if that is possible with
    ASP. it is with .NET though).

    For IIS, setup Integrated Windows Authentication (if you do not want them to
    type their username and password each time). This would also require a
    Client side IE Security Setting change to automatically pass the username
    and password to the trusted Intranet zone.

    Or

    Setup Basic Authentication in IIS (if you require users to always enter
    their username and password) and specify the default domain name.

    Matt, May 5, 2006

  3. J

    J Guest

    Hi Matt,

    Our IIS5.0 is a w2k server on 1 domain and our sql server 2000 is on another
    w2k server on a different domain. I'm in the process of brainstorming using
    Basic windows authentication on the web application folder and below that
    contains the .asp pages which uses https that encrypts the whole
    communication to our sql server. In the possible case that the user doesn't
    have windows xp or a windows os I was just curious how they'd be able to
    change their domain password since I'm trying to configure it to use windows
    basic authentication to our sql server and that they should be able to
    change their password frequently since our sql server contains sensitive
    data. I read much on the web that windows authentication to sql server is a
    better practice that sql login authentication but seems like it gets a
    little trickier when the web and database servers are on different domains
    which I've read is safer in general to have the sql server isolated on it's
    own domain from the web server. This is why I prefer to use sql login
    authentication which makes things easier in setting up, maintaining login
    id's and seems easier to incorporate into .asp applications. Sorry if I
    wrote too much in complicating things. I'm just wondering which is the
    safer method and way for user's to change their own domain passwords.

    Thanks Matt,

    J, May 5, 2006