    (sort of like plain vanilla <p>)
    Thanks,
    Charles
    charles cashion, Mar 14, 2007

  2. charles cashion

    Dan Guest

    On Mar 14, 1:24 pm, charles cashion <> wrote:
    > I want to use css to change font size in the middle of a sentence.
    > What I have tried thus far, has added a line feed.
    > (sort of like plain vanilla <p>)

    You probably tried using a <div> element which is a block-level
    element that defaults to adding a line break (and can't be nested
    within a paragraph anyway). What you really want is the <span>
    element, which is character-level and can be nested inside a paragraph
    and does not imply a line break.

    --
    Dan
    Dan, Mar 14, 2007

  3. Scripsit charles cashion:

    > I want to use css to change font size in the middle of a sentence.

    Stop wanting that. Changing font size in the middle of a sentence is
    disturbing.

    > What I have tried thus far, has added a line feed.

    You did something wrong. (This reply is more specific than your description
    of what you did.=

    Should you really want to change font size in the middle of a sentence and
    nothing else (no hint of any meaning conveyed that way), use

    Don't play with <span> if you _really_ want to change font size and you have
    no idea of why you are doing that.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Mar 14, 2007
  4. charles cashion

    Ed Seedhouse Guest

    On 14 Mar 2007 11:02:36 -0700, "Dan" <> wrote:

    >On Mar 14, 1:24 pm, charles cashion <> wrote:
    >> I want to use css to change font size in the middle of a sentence.
    >> What I have tried thus far, has added a line feed.
    >> (sort of like plain vanilla <p>)

    >You probably tried using a <div> element which is a block-level
    >element that defaults to adding a line break (and can't be nested
    >within a paragraph anyway). What you really want is the <span>
    >element, which is character-level and can be nested inside a paragraph
    >and does not imply a line break.

    Actually you probably need some other inline element such as <em>
    depending on the meaning of the content. <span> should be used only
    when some other semantic and appropriate tag is unavailable.
    Ed Seedhouse, Mar 15, 2007

    I would use em units instead so that IE users will be able to make the
    text less ridiculously small if necessary.
    Leif K-Brooks, Mar 15, 2007
  6. Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > Scripsit charles cashion:
    >
    >> I want to use css to change font size in the middle of a sentence.

    > Stop wanting that. Changing font size in the middle of a sentence is
    > disturbing.

    Why? you don't know what the OT wants to achieve (maybe the OT wants to
    create a weighted tag-cloud)?

    > Should you really want to change font size in the middle of a sentence
    > and nothing else (no hint of any meaning conveyed that way), use

    just out of curiosity: doesn't this contradict the notion, that we
    should provide semantically correct structured documents?
    font-size="1" together with an inline stlye definition in a document
    mixes layout-information with structure IMHO.
    Also: font-size:6px is probably not a very good practice as px reflects
    an absolute size unit. You would use 'em's instead of px.

    And why not use an inline element such as <span> to achieve this effect,
    as a previous poster suggested?

    cheers
    bernhard

    --
    www.daszeichen.ch
    remove nixspam to reply
    Bernhard Sturm, Mar 15, 2007
  7. Scripsit Bernhard Sturm:

    >>> I want to use css to change font size in the middle of a sentence.

    >> Stop wanting that. Changing font size in the middle of a sentence is
    >> disturbing.

    > Why? you don't know what the OT wants to achieve (maybe the OT wants
    > to create a weighted tag-cloud)?

    From my years of experience with Usenet, I do. If the OT had a reason, he
    would have explained it. That's at least a feasible hypothesis, which is
    true in a great majority of cases.

    >> Should you really want to change font size in the middle of a
    >> sentence and nothing else (no hint of any meaning conveyed that
    >> way), use <p>I want to make some words to appear in
    >> font</font>.</p>

    > just out of curiosity: doesn't this contradict the notion, that we
    > should provide semantically correct structured documents?

    It's the idea of changing changing font size in the middle of a sentence and
    nothing else (no hint of any meaning conveyed that way) that contradicts
    that notion. What I propose is a way of being honest about it.

    > font-size="1" together with an inline stlye definition in a document
    > mixes layout-information with structure IMHO.

    There is no structure, just the OP's desire to change font size.

    > And why not use an inline element such as <span> to achieve this
    > effect, as a previous poster suggested?

    It would be semantically empty, whereas <font> is honest about the desire to
    change font size.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Mar 15, 2007
  8. Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > Scripsit Bernhard Sturm:

    >>> Stop wanting that. Changing font size in the middle of a sentence is
    >>> disturbing.

    >> Why? you don't know what the OT wants to achieve (maybe the OT wants
    >> to create a weighted tag-cloud)?

    > From my years of experience with Usenet, I do. If the OT had a reason,
    > he would have explained it. That's at least a feasible hypothesis, which
    > is true in a great majority of cases.

    Do I understand you correct, that you are assuming the OP had no reason
    for his question (according to your long-time experience), but you are
    providing him an answer anyway?

    :)
    cheers
    bernhard

    --
    www.daszeichen.ch
    remove nixspam to reply
    Bernhard Sturm, Mar 15, 2007
  9. charles cashion

    dorayme Guest

    In article <etcc2j$tgn$>,
    Bernhard Sturm <> wrote:

    > Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > > Scripsit Bernhard Sturm:

    > >> Why? you don't know what the OT wants to achieve (maybe the OT wants
    > >> to create a weighted tag-cloud)?

    > > From my years of experience with Usenet, I do. If the OT had a reason,
    > > he would have explained it. That's at least a feasible hypothesis, which
    > > is true in a great majority of cases.
    > >

    > Do I understand you correct, that you are assuming the OP had no reason
    > for his question (according to your long-time experience), but you are
    > providing him an answer anyway?
    >
    > :)
    > cheers
    > bernhard

    Bernhard, don't be silly please (that's my role here). JK did not
    assume OP had no reason. Obviously he had the simple (if
    misguided) reason of wanting to change a font size in mid
    sentence. And JK was saying not to do that without further
    reason.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Mar 15, 2007
  10. dorayme wrote:
    > In article <etcc2j$tgn$>,
    > Bernhard Sturm <> wrote:
    >

    >> Do I understand you correct, that you are assuming the OP had no reason
    >> for his question (according to your long-time experience), but you are
    >> providing him an answer anyway?
    >>

    > Bernhard, don't be silly please (that's my role here). JK did not
    > assume OP had no reason. Obviously he had the simple (if
    > misguided) reason of wanting to change a font size in mid
    > sentence. And JK was saying not to do that without further
    > reason.

    No problem :) I understood JK very well, I was just surprised that he
    gave him a solution for his obviously misguided question...

    bernhard

    --
    www.daszeichen.ch
    remove nixspam to reply
    Bernhard Sturm, Mar 15, 2007
  11. charles cashion

    dorayme Guest

    In article <etcd8l$11f$>,
    Bernhard Sturm <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    > > In article <etcc2j$tgn$>,
    > > Bernhard Sturm <> wrote:
    > >
    > > JK did not
    > > assume OP had no reason. Obviously he had the simple (if
    > > misguided) reason of wanting to change a font size in mid
    > > sentence. And JK was saying not to do that without further
    > > reason.
    > >

    > No problem :) I understood JK very well, I was just surprised that he
    > gave him a solution for his obviously misguided question...

    Well, fair enough... personally, I don't think it was all that
    obviously misguided. Not everyone explains why they want to do
    things and it cannot be doubted that there could be good reasons
    to do what they wanted. That does not make for too much
    obviousness.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Mar 15, 2007
  12. dorayme wrote:
    > In article <etcd8l$11f$>,
    > Bernhard Sturm <> wrote:
    >
    >> dorayme wrote:
    >> > In article <etcc2j$tgn$>,
    >> > Bernhard Sturm <> wrote:
    >> >
    >> > JK did not
    >> > assume OP had no reason. Obviously he had the simple (if
    >> > misguided) reason of wanting to change a font size in mid
    >> > sentence. And JK was saying not to do that without further
    >> > reason.
    >> >

    >> No problem :) I understood JK very well, I was just surprised that he
    >> gave him a solution for his obviously misguided question...

    > Well, fair enough... personally, I don't think it was all that
    > obviously misguided. Not everyone explains why they want to do
    > things and it cannot be doubted that there could be good reasons
    > to do what they wanted. That does not make for too much
    > obviousness.

    OP can probably pick up some tips here:

    http://www.rogerart.com/

    :)

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Mar 15, 2007
  13. charles cashion

    Ed Mullen Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article <etcd8l$11f$>,
    > Bernhard Sturm <> wrote:
    >
    >> dorayme wrote:
    >>> In article <etcc2j$tgn$>,
    >>> Bernhard Sturm <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> JK did not
    >>> assume OP had no reason. Obviously he had the simple (if
    >>> misguided) reason of wanting to change a font size in mid
    >>> sentence. And JK was saying not to do that without further
    >>> reason.
    >>>

    >> No problem :) I understood JK very well, I was just surprised that he
    >> gave him a solution for his obviously misguided question...
    >>

    > Well, fair enough... personally, I don't think it was all that
    > obviously misguided. Not everyone explains why they want to do
    > things and it cannot be doubted that there could be good reasons
    > to do what they wanted.

    But! But! JK /always/ doubts that there could be *any* reason outside
    of his reasoning to warrant any thing not of his devising.

    It is, honestly, a tad sad. He is knowledgeable, no doubt. But his
    didacticism off-puts to such an extent that his (potentially) useful
    advice is oft ignored as the rantings of a sycophant. Hence the real
    potential for damage to content by form. Not too much of a problem for
    me as I am fairly well able to "consider the source." Newbies who could
    benefit most, however, are most likely to be offended by the anti-social
    form and ignore the potentially beneficial advice. Or, as Dad used to
    say: "If he's acting like an ass, he probably is one most of the time.
    Your job is to figure out which is which, when is when, and decide to
    listen, laugh, or ignore." And, no, Dad didn't allow for "just shoot
    the bastard." Too messy and fraught with legal implications.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Mar 15, 2007
  14. charles cashion

    dweir

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    One reason to use a small font in the middle of a sentence is to describe a specific time as A.M or P.M., which are usually written as small capitals.
    dweir, Jul 3, 2012