    How do you change a gridview from Update mode to normal mode? I'm usually
    dealing for Formviews and there is a ChangeMode option but I don't see one
    for Gridviews.

    pvong, Aug 6, 2007

  2. Hi,
    An important property that plays a special role in Update and Delete
    operations is the DataKeyNames property. This property is typically set to
    the names of fields from the data source that are part of a primary key used
    to match a given row in the data source. Multiple keys are comma-separated
    when specifying this property declaratively, although it is common to only
    have one primary key field. The values of fields specified by the
    DataKeyNames property are round-tripped in viewstate for the sake of
    retaining original values to pass to an Update or Delete operation, even if
    that field is not rendered as one of the columns in the GridView control.
    When the GridView invokes the data source Update or Delete operation, it
    passes the values of these fields to the data source in a special Keys
    dictionary, separate from the Values dictionary that contains new values
    entered by the user while the row is in edit mode (for update operations).
    The contents of the Values dictionary are obtained from the input controls
    rendered for the row in edit mode. To exclude a value from this dictionary,
    set the ReadOnly property to true on the corresponding BoundField in the
    Column collection. If you are using the GridView designer in Visual Studio,
    the ReadOnly property is set to true for primary key fields by default.
    ref:http://quickstarts.asp.net/QuickStartv20/aspnet/doc/ctrlref/data/gridview.aspx
    --
    Hope this helps.
    Thanks and Regards.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFuaXNoIEJhZm5h?=, Aug 6, 2007

  3. pvong

    pvong Guest

    I read this, but I'm still confused. I understand the concept of how it
    happens, but I don't understand how to make it happen.

    pvong, Aug 6, 2007
  4. pvong

    pvong Guest

    Please help me. This is the only missing step for me.

    Simple Gridview that when I hit Edit, I get Textboxes for editing. I have
    inserted my own ADO.NET for the Update button and it works perfectly. I
    just want the gridview to go back to normal view after it has updated. So
    after Update, turn gridview back to original format where the textboxes are
    labels again and you have the option to hit Edit again.

    pvong, Aug 7, 2007