    Thanks for your help,
    Regards, Gareth

    , Jun 25, 2006

  2. wrote:

    > I have a drop down menu on my page that contains over 40 options. When
    > expanded the list shows 30 options and stretches to the top of the
    > page. Is there any way to limit the number of options shown at one time
    > when the list is expanded? I have tried <select size=10> but this
    > changes the drop list to a scrolling list.

    How a SELECT control is displayed is browser dependend. Some browsers use
    the corresponding control as it is supplied by the operating system. The
    possibilities to modify such controls are very limited and vary from
    browser to browser.

    If the options can be structured into smaller groups, you could use OPTGROUP
    to markup the option list. Some browsers then create dropdown menus with
    submenus for each OPTGROUP (but Konquerer for example still creates a
    single long list...).

    Perhaps a completely different approach may the better, but you have to
    supply a URL to your page, before more could be said.

    --
    Benjamin Niemann
    Email: pink at odahoda dot de

    Benjamin Niemann, Jun 25, 2006

    Thanks Benjamin,

    >From what i read i thought that this was the case but hoped there was a

    workaround. As it turns out i am starting to like the scroll list
    approach and so will implement that in my website.

    Thanks again,
    Gareth

    Benjamin Niemann wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I have a drop down menu on my page that contains over 40 options. When
    > > expanded the list shows 30 options and stretches to the top of the
    > > page. Is there any way to limit the number of options shown at one time
    > > when the list is expanded? I have tried <select size=10> but this
    > > changes the drop list to a scrolling list.

    > How a SELECT control is displayed is browser dependend. Some browsers use
    > the corresponding control as it is supplied by the operating system. The
    > possibilities to modify such controls are very limited and vary from
    > browser to browser.
    >
    > If the options can be structured into smaller groups, you could use OPTGROUP
    > to markup the option list. Some browsers then create dropdown menus with
    > submenus for each OPTGROUP (but Konquerer for example still creates a
    > single long list...).
    >
    > Perhaps a completely different approach may the better, but you have to
    > supply a URL to your page, before more could be said.
    >
    > --
    > Benjamin Niemann
    > Email: pink at odahoda dot de
    > WWW: http://pink.odahoda.de/