    thanks

    CG

    , Jun 20, 2005

  2. wrote:
    > im building a web application in asp.net. i was wondering if there is a
    > way to set the screen size automatically on the clients monitor to
    > 1024*768 when they enter the application and return it to its original
    > size on exiting the application.

    No, that's not possible using JavaScript.

    Daniel

    Daniel Kirsch, Jun 20, 2005

    thanks

    thats all i needed to know

    CG

    , Jun 20, 2005
  4. Daniel Kirsch wrote:

    >> im building a web application in asp.net. i was wondering if there is a
    >> way to set the screen size automatically on the clients monitor to
    >> 1024*768 when they enter the application and return it to its original
    >> size on exiting the application.

    > No, that's not possible using JavaScript.

    And a good thing too ...

    One of my systems has a display that only has about 300 physical pixels
    across, another has a 16:9 aspect ratio, and my main system is spread
    across a 19" and a 17" monitor! Forcing that to 1024x768 on any of those
    systems would break horribly.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Jun 20, 2005
  5. J Wynia Guest

    David Dorward wrote:
    > And a good thing too ...
    >
    > One of my systems has a display that only has about 300 physical pixels
    > across, another has a 16:9 aspect ratio, and my main system is spread
    > across a 19" and a 17" monitor! Forcing that to 1024x768 on any of those
    > systems would break horribly.

    However, keep in mind that not all web development or Javascript use is
    for the wide-open range of parameters that "web sites" are. On my
    current project, your monitor and displays are entirely irrelevant
    because EVERY SINGLE monitor that will use the system is not only the
    same size, but the same model. Every PC is the same spec, using the same
    build of IE and is otherwise identical and locked down. There are
    thousands of users, but they're all internal and using machines built
    and deployed for the purposes of using the application we're building.
    If you and your diverse range of monitors ended up using the
    application, we've got bigger problems than the site not fitting on your
    monitor (and need a serious security audit).

    The answers on this newsgroup generally have a presumption that all of
    the questions and solutions apply to the web at large. They often don't.
    And, as a result, things that would, indeed, be a bad idea for
    google.com aren't a bad idea for a very specific instance.

    J Wynia, Jun 20, 2005
  6. Lee Guest

    J Wynia said:

    >However, keep in mind that not all web development or Javascript use is
    >for the wide-open range of parameters that "web sites" are. On my
    >current project, your monitor and displays are entirely irrelevant
    >because EVERY SINGLE monitor that will use the system is not only the
    >same size, but the same model. Every PC is the same spec, using the same
    >build of IE and is otherwise identical and locked down. There are
    >thousands of users, but they're all internal and using machines built
    >and deployed for the purposes of using the application we're building.

    But if you were asking a question related to that project,
    you would have enough sense to mention the very special
    circumstances, wouldn't you?

    It's reasonable to assume that questions pertain to the web
    unless otherwise specified.

    Lee, Jun 20, 2005
  7. J Wynia wrote:
    <snip>
    > The answers on this newsgroup generally have a presumption
    > that all of the questions and solutions apply to the web
    > at large. ...

    <snip>

    This group's FAQ explains that the default assumption for questions
    asked here is that they relate to an Internet context, and advises
    individuals requiring answers appropriate for a more restricted context
    to specify that when they ask the question.

    As in the absence of information there will be assumptions it saves
    everyone time and trouble to know up-front what those assumptions will
    be.

    Richard.

    Richard Cornford, Jun 20, 2005
  8. Randy Webb Guest

    J Wynia wrote:
    > David Dorward wrote:
    >
    >> And a good thing too ...
    >>
    >> One of my systems has a display that only has about 300 physical pixels
    >> across, another has a 16:9 aspect ratio, and my main system is spread
    >> across a 19" and a 17" monitor! Forcing that to 1024x768 on any of those
    >> systems would break horribly.
    >>

    > However, keep in mind that not all web development or Javascript use is
    > for the wide-open range of parameters that "web sites" are. On my
    > current project, your monitor and displays are entirely irrelevant
    > because EVERY SINGLE monitor that will use the system is not only the
    > same size, but the same model. Every PC is the same spec, using the same
    > build of IE and is otherwise identical and locked down. There are
    > thousands of users, but they're all internal and using machines built
    > and deployed for the purposes of using the application we're building.

    You have that much control over the network yet you can't set the
    settings on the monitors the way you need them set? That is ironic.

    --
    Randy

    Randy Webb, Jun 21, 2005
  9. The Magpie Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > im building a web application in asp.net. i was wondering if there is a
    > way to set the screen size automatically on the clients monitor to
    > 1024*768 when they enter the application and return it to its original
    > size on exiting the application.
    >
    > any ideas or advice appreciated.

    The best advice - and one thing you will almost certainly have seen by
    the time you get to my message - is "get your damn hands off ***my***
    settings!! They are MINE!!!!".

    Put simply - do not ever assume (or even try) to take control of someone
    else's system. If it doesn't suit you as it is then work around however
    they are already set up.

    The Magpie, Jun 22, 2005