    directory. Right now I have something like:

    web service B
    web service C
    Kevin Burton, Nov 2, 2004

  2. Kevin Burton

    Dan Rogers Guest

    Hi Kevin,

    A few options you have that are pretty simple include copying the DLL's
    into the bin directory for each application, or if you want only one copy
    of the DLL on the system, place it where you like and add it to the GAC.
    To add to the GAC, the assembly will need to have a strong name, and you
    will want to consider whether you want both applications locked around that
    DLL. Once in the GAC, all requests for a particular assembly (not found in
    the local directory) will be resolved to the GAC copy. This means that if
    you want to update the DLL, you'll need to implement a versioning policy or
    take both applications off line.

    Hope this helps,

    Dan Rogers
    Microsoft Corporation
    --------------------
    >From: =?Utf-8?B?S2V2aW4gQnVydG9u?= <>
    >Subject: Change search path.
    >Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 11:25:05 -0800
    >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices

    >I have several web services and they all rely on the assemblies in a root
    >directory. Right now I have something like:

    > web service B
    > web service C
    > .
    >
    >Where 'web service B' is a sub directory of A containing the .asmx files,
    >the resource files, global asmx, etc. The assemblies that support each of

    the
    >web services are currently in A so in order for 'web service B' to find

    the
    >assemblies I would need to add something like <probing privatePath="..">

    >web.config in order for the assemblies to be found. The <probing> element
    >specifically prohibits specifying anything but sub-directories. Any ideas

    on
    >how I might solve this problem or restructure my app? Could I point the
    >virtual directory to say 'web service B' and have the application base be

    one

    Dan Rogers, Nov 15, 2004