Change Site to XHTML

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Roy Schestowitz, Mar 27, 2006.

  1. __/ [ ] on Monday 27 March 2006 14:30 \__

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am converting my father's family history over to XHTML from a very
    > daggy frames look. I am not a professional designer and this is my
    > first shot at XHTML (aided by Dreamweaver 8).
    >
    > Can someone please look at the first page and see if I am on the
    > right track? Only bare bones there as yet but once the page is set it
    > will be a template for another 50.
    > http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/test.html
    >
    > I started from a an older template provided by Macromedia:
    > http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/tableless_layout.html
    > I love the #content element with right side %.
    >
    > Thanks for any advice,
    >
    > Andrew

    Source code (XHTML) looks clean.

    Stylesheet contains no apparent problems:

    http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/test.css

    At the moment, the XHTML validator (from the W3) refuses to attempt a go at
    the page. No idea why. It works for other sites.

    All in all, you seem to be on the right track.

    Best wishes and good luck,

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz
    http://Schestowitz.com | SuSE Linux ¦ PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E

  3. Roy Schestowitz

    Andy Dingley Guest

    wrote:

    > I am converting my father's family history over to XHTML from a very
    > daggy frames look.

    The whining noise you can hear is the Geek Chorus telling you that
    XHTML is evil and you shouldn't use it.

    Hey, it's your call. But there's little benefit to it (for this sort of
    site) and you should only do it after reading some of the past debate
    here and in c.i.w.a.h and reading Appendix C. Otherwise just ignore
    it! - you're doing OK so far.

    > Can someone please look at the first page and see if I am on the
    > right track?

    The nav list on the left is a list, so mark it up as one, not just a
    sequence of <p>s. Use CSS to turn off list bullets etc., if you wish.
    If you need to use "anonymous text blocks" like this, then <div> is
    arguably a bit better than <p> (if you can't really say "This is a
    paragraph" about a small fragment)

    You aren't setting the background color or a default color on the body.
    This becomes more obvious when the background image fails to load (as
    it does just now).

    Lay off the "font-size 85%". Leave body text size at _my_ default
    choice, not yours. Or else lend me your screen and eyeballs to read it.

    Equally don't mess with line-height. It's rarely a good idea to do
    this.

    Consider setting the <a> elements in the body text to display with a
    line break before them. If you're making the URL visible in the text
    like this (OK if that's what you want, or you want it to be visible
    when printed) then it looks best if they're either all in-line, or all
    line-broken beforehand. Stick a <br /> in before them, or else put a
    class on each one and use some CSS
    a.visible-url { display: block; }

    Take a look at BlueRobot.com, glish.com etc. for some advice on getting
    multi-coloumn layouts to behave themselves across different browsers.
    it's not obvious or easy to do this well (OTOH it's easy to copy a good
    example). Macromedia are clueless here (as ever!)

    Instead of WEDEMEYER use <span class="surname" >Wedemeyer</span> and
    the CSS
    .surname { text-transform: uppercase; }

    Linking placenames to the Getty Thesaurus (TGN) can be worthwhile for
    genealogy - there are a lot of "Newcastle"s in the world.

    Overall though, it looks fine. Keep us posted as it develops.

    Andy Dingley, Mar 27, 2006
  4. Roy Schestowitz

    Stan McCann Guest

    wrote in

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am converting my father's family history over to XHTML from a
    > very
    > daggy frames look. I am not a professional designer and this is my
    > first shot at XHTML (aided by Dreamweaver 8).

    Why XHTML? See http://www.hixie.ch/advocacy/xhtml. There's plenty
    more out there with a bit of searching.

    > Can someone please look at the first page and see if I am on the
    > right track? Only bare bones there as yet but once the page is set
    > it will be a template for another 50.
    > http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/test.html
    >
    > I started from a an older template provided by Macromedia:
    > http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/tableless_layou
    > t.html I love the #content element with right side %.

    I was rather surprised that both your XHTML and CSS validated due to
    your mention of using Dreamweaver. Did you have to manually tweak the
    code? Many WYSIWYMG (What You See Is What You *Might* Get) editors
    fail to produce valid code. What you have there looks better than
    expected.

    Things to consider:
    You have not set a background color for the body and I see no
    background image. Even when using a background image, the background
    color should be set for those that may have images turned off due to
    slow dial up connections or whatever. Looking at your page right now,
    it has a purple background. Your background image seems to be
    misplaced.
    Take a close look at your style sheet and see that you set a particular
    font over and over. Setting it for the body could let you set it once.
    The same with color and possibly some other settings. Set things once
    in the body if everything is the same.
    Your navigation width is set in pixels. Sometimes that is most
    appropriate, but consider using % or em.

    With that start, you can easily add header and footer blocks if
    desired. I'd say yes, you are on the right track.

    --
    Stan McCann, "Uncle Pirate" http://stanmccann.us/
    Webmaster, NMSU at Alamogordo http://alamo.nmsu.edu/

    Stan McCann, Mar 27, 2006
  5. Roy Schestowitz

    Guest

    Hi Andy Dingley,

    Thanks very much for your comments on the site I am converting to
    XHTML. The address has moved an inch to:

    http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/

    I have addressed your very helpfull comments below:

    On 27 Mar 2006 08:14:50 -0800, "Andy Dingley" <>
    wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> I am converting my father's family history over to XHTML from a very
    >> daggy frames look.

    >The whining noise you can hear is the Geek Chorus telling you that
    >XHTML is evil and you shouldn't use it.
    >
    >Hey, it's your call. But there's little benefit to it (for this sort of
    >site) and you should only do it after reading some of the past debate
    >here and in c.i.w.a.h and reading Appendix C. Otherwise just ignore
    >it! - you're doing OK so far.

    To tell you the truth I am having a great time and learning a lot as I
    go. This is incentive enough for me, especially as this site is not a
    commercial one :)

    >> Can someone please look at the first page and see if I am on the
    >> right track?

    >The nav list on the left is a list, so mark it up as one, not just a
    >sequence of <p>s. Use CSS to turn off list bullets etc., if you wish.
    >If you need to use "anonymous text blocks" like this, then <div> is
    >arguably a bit better than <p> (if you can't really say "This is a
    >paragraph" about a small fragment)

    I have put a list in place that I took from Listamatic. I noted on
    their other pages:
    http://css.maxdesign.com.au/listamatic2/index.htm
    there were nested lists. Now I love the simple list I have found.
    Surely this can be converted to a nested list?

    >You aren't setting the background color or a default color on the body.
    >This becomes more obvious when the background image fails to load (as
    >it does just now).

    I have lost the image and set a background colour, white for the
    moment.

    >Lay off the "font-size 85%". Leave body text size at _my_ default
    >choice, not yours. Or else lend me your screen and eyeballs to read it.
    >
    >Equally don't mess with line-height. It's rarely a good idea to do
    >this.

    Line height has gone and I did not miss it Iwill admit. Font
    percentages I have mostly lost although I have made the navigation bar
    95% to differentiate from body text; I am still considering this one
    though.

    >Consider setting the <a> elements in the body text to display with a
    >line break before them. If you're making the URL visible in the text
    >like this (OK if that's what you want, or you want it to be visible
    >when printed) then it looks best if they're either all in-line, or all
    >line-broken beforehand. Stick a <br /> in before them, or else put a
    >class on each one and use some CSS
    >a.visible-url { display: block; }

    Thanks for that one, I have implemented it and it is brilliant!

    >Take a look at BlueRobot.com, glish.com etc. for some advice on getting
    >multi-coloumn layouts to behave themselves across different browsers.
    >it's not obvious or easy to do this well (OTOH it's easy to copy a good
    >example). Macromedia are clueless here (as ever!)

    Thanks for the tip! I have taken the header from BlueRobot and intend
    to modify this a little for the site. I will admit to not fully
    understanding all of his comments in the CSS so I have left them
    intact until I am a little wiser :)

    >Instead of WEDEMEYER use <span class="surname" >Wedemeyer</span> and
    >the CSS
    > .surname { text-transform: uppercase; }

    Sound great but to tell the truth all my text arrives in an MS Word
    document with the cases already set in place. But I shall store this
    one away for future reference.

    >Linking placenames to the Getty Thesaurus (TGN) can be worthwhile for
    >genealogy - there are a lot of "Newcastle"s in the world.
    >

    >Overall though, it looks fine. Keep us posted as it develops.

    Thanks very much for your very constructive and highly useful
    comments!

    Andrew.

    , Mar 28, 2006
  6. Roy Schestowitz

    Guest

    Hi Stan,

    Thank you very much for your comments on my reworking of a family
    history page. I have temporarily moved it to:
    http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/
    I shall address your very helpful comments below:

    On 27 Mar 2006 10:11:04 -0700, Stan McCann <> wrote:

    > wrote in
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I am converting my father's family history over to XHTML from a
    >> very
    >> daggy frames look. I am not a professional designer and this is my
    >> first shot at XHTML (aided by Dreamweaver 8).

    >Why XHTML? See http://www.hixie.ch/advocacy/xhtml. There's plenty
    >more out there with a bit of searching.

    I will admit to having a ball learning a bit about XHTML. It is
    forcing me away from some very bad habits with web sites :)

    >> Can someone please look at the first page and see if I am on the
    >> right track? Only bare bones there as yet but once the page is set
    >> it will be a template for another 50.
    >> http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/test.html
    >>
    >> I started from a an older template provided by Macromedia:
    >> http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/tableless_layou
    >> t.html I love the #content element with right side %.

    >I was rather surprised that both your XHTML and CSS validated due to
    >your mention of using Dreamweaver. Did you have to manually tweak the
    >code? Many WYSIWYMG (What You See Is What You *Might* Get) editors
    >fail to produce valid code. What you have there looks better than
    >expected.

    Dreamweaver 8 seems to pick up many of my errors, but yes, it adds a
    few extras which do not validate.

    >Things to consider:
    >You have not set a background color for the body and I see no
    >background image. Even when using a background image, the background
    >color should be set for those that may have images turned off due to
    >slow dial up connections or whatever. Looking at your page right now,
    >it has a purple background. Your background image seems to be
    >misplaced.

    That was an error that I have corrected. Just white background colour
    for the moment.

    >Take a close look at your style sheet and see that you set a particular
    >font over and over. Setting it for the body could let you set it once.
    >The same with color and possibly some other settings. Set things once
    >in the body if everything is the same.

    Thanks for this one, I have added this to the body and removed some of
    the others. Have not set link colours yet but I am quite comfortable
    with this.

    >Your navigation width is set in pixels. Sometimes that is most
    >appropriate, but consider using % or em.

    This is one I will definitely consider. I am still feeling my way with
    the layout of the page. I am very pleased with the fluid contents!

    >With that start, you can easily add header and footer blocks if
    >desired. I'd say yes, you are on the right track.

    I have added a header block that came free from the layout reservoir:
    http://bluerobot.com/web/layouts/layout1.html
    Not sure if I need a footer, I am aiming for a simple, clean look
    which seems to almost be there.

    Thanks heaps!

    Andrew.

    , Mar 28, 2006