Change text color for one document.write but not color of all text?

kroger

Hi, one part of my website is at:

http://www.psych.nmsu.edu/~jkroger/lab/undergrads.html

I want to make the date at the top right darker blue.
But when I do that, all the light blue text next to
the pictures also changes.

How can I control the color of the result of
document.write output without changing the
forground color of the entire page? Note my
document write includes variables, so I was
hesitant to imbed an html command in the
document.write.

Thanks much in advance for any pointers....
Jim

Stephen Chalmers

Hi, one part of my website is at:

http://www.psych.nmsu.edu/~jkroger/lab/undergrads.html

I want to make the date at the top right darker blue.
But when I do that, all the light blue text next to
the pictures also changes.

How can I control the color of the result of
document.write output without changing the
forground color of the entire page? Note my
document write includes variables, so I was
hesitant to imbed an html command in the
document.write.

Thanks much in advance for any pointers....
Jim

var i=12345;

document.write("I'm GREEN text and here's a variable in red:
".fontcolor('green') +i.toString().fontcolor("red"));

RobG

Hi, one part of my website is at:

http://www.psych.nmsu.edu/~jkroger/lab/undergrads.html

I want to make the date at the top right darker blue.
But when I do that, all the light blue text next to
the pictures also changes.

How can I control the color of the result of
document.write output without changing the
forground color of the entire page? Note my

Wrap it in a <span> with the appropriate colour. Your
"get date" function is a bit rough too, suggested
improvement below.

Using arrays for months and days is considerably more
efficient than your multiple if's.
document write includes variables, so I was
hesitant to imbed an html command in the
document.write.

HTML is not "commands", it is markup that is interpreted.
It may seem a trivial point, but there you go. You have
no other way of controlling the colour of the element
than using markup, so use it. I have used a span and style,
but you could use a class too.

<head>
<title>play</title>
<script type="text/javascript">

function clientDate(){
var months = ['January','February','March',
'April','May','June','July',
'August','September','October',
'November','','December'];

var days = ['Sunday','Monday','Tuesday',
'Wednesday','Thursday','Friday',
'Saturday'];

var now = new Date();

return days[now.getDay()]
+ ', ' + months[now.getMonth()]
+ ' ' + now.getDate()
+ ', ' + now.getFullYear();
}
</script>
</head>
<script type="text/javascript">
document.write('<span style="color: #333366">' +
clientDate() + '</span>');
</script>

Mick White

RobG said:
[...]

Empty string between Nov and Dec?
Mick

var days = ['Sunday','Monday','Tuesday',
'Wednesday','Thursday','Friday',
'Saturday'];

var now = new Date();

return days[now.getDay()]
+ ', ' + months[now.getMonth()]
+ ' ' + now.getDate()
+ ', ' + now.getFullYear();
}
</script>
</head>
<script type="text/javascript">
document.write('<span style="color: #333366">' +
clientDate() + '</span>');
</script>

RobG

Quite right, but frankly I'd rather December was banished from the
calendar, then I'd not get any older...

kroger

Wow, thanks Rob for the help with text color on my dates! I learned a
lot!

Thanks to you as well, S.C. ....

Great place, usenet....

Jim

kroger

Say, Rob, why do you put the function declaration in the head, and the
call in the body?

Thanks
Jim