Change Textbox text on Rollover

KCRichards59@hotmail

I'm trying to change the text in a textbox when I roll over a hyperlink on
the page.

I know to use the
"this.MyHyperlink.Attributes.Add("onMouseOver", "ChangeText()");"

but I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly and I'm not sure how to set up
the Javascript in the ASP page.

I have 4 different hyperlinks and I wanted to perhaps set it up as a case
statement.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Karl Richards

Brian Williams

You could do something like this:
Client Side Code:
function ChangeText(oElement, string)
{
oElement.innerText = string;
}
</script>
Server Side Code:
private string _hlinkText1;
private string _hlinkText2;
private string _hlinkText3;
private string _hlinkText4;

_hlinkText1 = "1";
_hlinkText2 = "2";
_hlinkText3 = "3";
_hlinkText4 = "4";

HyperLink1.Attributes.Add("onMouseOver", "ChangeText(" +
TextBox1.ClientID + ',' + _hlinkText1 + ")");
HyperLink2.Attributes.Add("onMouseOver", "ChangeText(" +
TextBox1.ClientID + ',' + _hlinkText2 + ")");
HyperLink3.Attributes.Add("onMouseOver", "ChangeText(" +
TextBox1.ClientID + ',' + _hlinkText3 + ")");
HyperLink4.Attributes.Add("onMouseOver", "ChangeText(" +
TextBox1.ClientID + ',' + _hlinkText4 + ")");
}

If you have the remote possibility of turning this into a user control I
would pass the client id.
I hope I understood your question correctly and helped :)

Regards,
Brian K. Williams

Brian Williams

Sorry I forgot about your switch statement

Client Side Script:
function ChangeText(oElement, param)
{
switch (param)
{
case 1:
oElement.innerText = "Some Text1";
break;
case 2:
oElement.innerText = "Some Text2";
break;
case 3:
oElement.innerText = "Some Text3";
break;
case 4:
oElement.innerText = "Some Text4";
break;
}
}

Regards,
Brian K. Williams

Brian Williams

Sorry again, I'm a mess today.

I wouldn't use the switch statement unless the text was small. Remember the
client will download all the text in the JavaScript so large chunks of text
will affect performance. However, you can cache it by including it with
src=YourJavaScriptFile

Regards,
Brian K. Williams