Change the browser setting in IE through programming.

Guest

Hi!

1. I am using asp.net 2.0 for my application and was wondering is there a
way we can hide address bar, menu bar, Links and Standard Buttons of the
browser without opening a new window.

i.e. nothing should be displayed on the browser except the application
content.

2. Actually, we have accomplished this by opening a new window and setting
it to full screen mode. This is working absolutely fine when we browse the
application from localhost.

When we try browsing from remote server, header and footer are coming.
Header is displaying http://IP-Address - Application Name - Internet Explorer.

This scenario is happening not only when we browse from remote server but
also on local server with ip specification.

i.e. when we give URL like, http://localhost/ApplicationName its working
perfect. When we give URL like, http://IP-Address/ApplicationName it's not
working fine.

Any help will be appreciated...

Thanks and Regards,
Sai Kiran.

Guest

Sai Kiran said:
Hi!

1. I am using asp.net 2.0 for my application and was wondering is there a
way we can hide address bar, menu bar, Links and Standard Buttons of the
browser without opening a new window.

i.e. nothing should be displayed on the browser except the application
content.

No.

2. Actually, we have accomplished this by opening a new window and setting
it to full screen mode. This is working absolutely fine when we browse the
application from localhost.

When we try browsing from remote server, header and footer are coming.
Header is displaying http://IP-Address - Application Name - Internet Explorer.

Sounds to me like you are trying to use a WebApp like a WinForm.. it isn't
one. My best recomendation is to stop trying to mess with the users browser,
it's a sure way to get them to never visit again, and if this is an Intranet
app and you need this other functionality then use a Winform.

Basically though, you have little control over the users settings, this is
for a number of reasons including security. You can do the menus/bars/etc
with a new window but by you are trying to do code, from the server, that
changes the users layout, which isn't accessible from the server... you will
have to do any of that type of thing from clientside code.

Damien

Sai said:
Hi!

1. I am using asp.net 2.0 for my application and was wondering is there a
way we can hide address bar, menu bar, Links and Standard Buttons of the
browser without opening a new window.

i.e. nothing should be displayed on the browser except the application
content.

Surprising a user when they come to your application is a bad thing.
The first thing the user will think is "Where have all of my controls
gone? How can I get them back", and more often then not, their answer
is close the browser, start a new copy, and don't visit that site
again.
2. Actually, we have accomplished this by opening a new window and setting
it to full screen mode. This is working absolutely fine when we browse the
application from localhost.

When we try browsing from remote server, header and footer are coming.
Header is displaying http://IP-Address - Application Name - Internet Explorer.

This scenario is happening not only when we browse from remote server but
also on local server with ip specification.

i.e. when we give URL like, http://localhost/ApplicationName its working
perfect. When we give URL like, http://IP-Address/ApplicationName it's not
working fine.
You can't. When your using localhost (note, no dots in the name),
you're in the semi-trusted Intranet zone. When you use the IP address
(or a full DNS name), you're in the Internet zone - where people do all
kinds of nasty things like phising, etc, so the browser insists on
allowing the users to have some knowledge - i.e. Where their browser is
currently connected to.

If you're developing for Intranet, then you may be able to have your
infrastructure people add the appropriate IP addresses (or DNS
addresses) into the Intranet or Trusted Sites zones via Active
Directory. If you're Internet, learn to embrace the world (which isn't
just composed of IE users)

Damien