Change to web.config and restarting application.

zb

I am not convinced and need your opinion.

My understanding is that if bin directory's content is changed then the
ASP.Net application recycles (Applicatin is restarted). Is it also true
for the web.config file.

When Application is restarted all sessions are cleared. Now, if the
application is running and a change is made in web.config file if this
triggers application restart it will clear all sessions?

If this does not recycle the application what if the change is to
System.Web section of teh configuration or some other area including
appSetting?

Thanks in advance.

Laurent Bugnion [MVP]

Hi,
I am not convinced and need your opinion.

My understanding is that if bin directory's content is changed then the
ASP.Net application recycles (Applicatin is restarted).

AFAIK, this is only true in the website model. If you use the Web
Application Project add-on (or the one which is integrated in VS2005
SP1), this shouldn't be the case.
> Is it also true
for the web.config file.

That's correct, always.

When Application is restarted all sessions are cleared. Now, if the
application is running and a change is made in web.config file if this
triggers application restart it will clear all sessions?

Yes, that's correct. If you have scenarios where the web.config is
modified "live", then you must be extra careful when using the Session
state.
If this does not recycle the application what if the change is to
System.Web section of teh configuration or some other area including
appSetting?

Thanks in advance.

HTH,
Laurent

Hans Kesting

I am not convinced and need your opinion.
My understanding is that if bin directory's content is changed then the
ASP.Net application recycles (Applicatin is restarted). Is it also true
for the web.config file.

When Application is restarted all sessions are cleared. Now, if the
application is running and a change is made in web.config file if this
triggers application restart it will clear all sessions?

If this does not recycle the application what if the change is to
System.Web section of teh configuration or some other area including
appSetting?

Thanks in advance.

A change in directory structure (add/remove/rename a subdirectory) will
also trigger a recycle.

Hans Kesting

Samuel R. Neff

This is only true for in-process sessions. If you store session data
out of process or in sql server, then the sessions are not lost on app
restart.

Sam

zb

This is just a confirmation.

If the log location for the application is within the virtual directory
that means every time the file is written ASP.Net is going to recycle
even though the log file extension could be .txt or .log?

Thanks again.

zb

So, if the log location for the application is within the virtual