Change user's group in ASP.NET

Memi Lavi

Hi Guys.

I need a way to change a user's group in the OS. Unfortunately, I
don't have Active Directory, so I won't be able to use it.
I've searched through the docs, but couldn't find any way of doing so.
I believe a task like this will require high permissions for the IIS
and ASPNET users, but it's not a problem for me.

How can I do that?

Joe Kaplan \(MVP - ADSI\)

If you don't have AD, what do you have that is the source of the user's
groups? Are they from an NT4 domain or a local machine?

In either case, you would use System.DirectoryServices with the WinNT
provider to do group membership changes.

Joe K.

Memi Lavi

Oops. sorry for forgeting mention that important detail...

The users and groups are domain-wide.
I'm not familiar with the WinNT provider and the directoryServices
namespace. Could you please supply a sample of using it in order to
change user's group?

Thanks!

Joe Kaplan \(MVP - ADSI\)

Assuming you have an NT4 domain, then you should be able to make these
changes using the WinNT provider with System.DirectoryServices. However, I
am not at all an expert in NT4 domains, only Active Directory.

I suggest you repost your question in microsoft.public.adsi.general and let
some of the other experts in this area help out.

Joe K.

Memi Lavi said:
Oops. sorry for forgeting mention that important detail...

The users and groups are domain-wide.
I'm not familiar with the WinNT provider and the directoryServices
namespace. Could you please supply a sample of using it in order to
change user's group?

Thanks!

"Joe Kaplan \(MVP - ADSI\)" <[email protected]>