    the inside of a child process?
    Thanks

    Markus

    Markus Franz, Dec 21, 2004

  2. Am Tue, 21 Dec 2004 06:20:09 -0800 schrieb Markus Franz:

    > Hi!
    >

    > Is there any possibility to change vars inside a parent process from
    > the inside of a child process?
    > Thanks

    Hi,

    No, that's impossible. At least on unix.

    Thomas

    --
    Thomas G├╝ttler, http://www.thomas-guettler.de/

    Thomas Guettler, Dec 21, 2004

  3. Markus Franz

    Steve Holden Guest

    Markus Franz wrote:

    > Hi!
    >

    > Is there any possibility to change vars inside a parent process from
    > the inside of a child process?
    > Thanks

    Not without adopting some specific inter-process mechanism such as a
    network socket. The idea is that processes are *intended* to provide
    protection boundaries around separate activities.

    Maybe what you need is threads, which can easily access each other's
    resources. They do need careful control, though, precisely because they
    share a single process's address space and protection boundary.

    regards
    Steve
    --
    Steve Holden http://www.holdenweb.com/
    Holden Web LLC +1 703 861 4237 +1 800 494 3119

    Steve Holden, Dec 21, 2004
  4. In article <>,
    Thomas Guettler <> wrote:
    >Am Tue, 21 Dec 2004 06:20:09 -0800 schrieb Markus Franz:
    >
    >> Hi!
    >>

    >> Is there any possibility to change vars inside a parent process from
    >> the inside of a child process?
    >> Thanks

    >Hi,
    >
    >No, that's impossible. At least on unix.

    .
    .
    .
    I've started to outline a slightly longer version of an entirely
    homologous answer at <URL:
    http://phaseit.net/claird/comp.unix.misc/changing_directories.html >.

    Cameron Laird, Dec 21, 2004