change your password day

Martin Gregorie

Unfortunately, that turns out not to be the case.
Older versions of Agent (1.8, 4.1) ran well under rather old versions of
WINE (0.9.x) but nobody has tested Agent 5.0 under WINE 1.1.x. That might
be worth a try.

Failing that, have you looked at recent versions of Pan?

Obligatory on-topic statement: there seem to be several open source Java
newsreaders around. Have you looked at any of them? Writing another may
not be too difficult since JavaMail provides support for NNTP and there
is an NNTP provider available for it.

Joshua Cranmer

I've got Thunderbird up and running, and it only took about 30 minutes
to get all the basic configuration set up (four different NNTP servers,
various newsgroups, and even trying -- only with partial success -- to
figure out how to easily check newsgroups for new messages without
clicking on each one).

If you go to the Account Settings, you can tell it how frequently to
check for new messages and whether to check on startup.

John B. Matthews

Peter Duniho said:
If you or anyone else knows of a _really good_ GUI newsreader for the
Mac, something that is as capable as rn, Agent, and Dialog, I'm all
ears.

I've been happy with <http://www.smfr.org/mtnw/> for years. I don't use
the filters much, but the predicates are extensive. My cerebellum knows
the keypad shortcuts, so I'd need some kind of therapy to switch.

Mike Schilling

Peter said:
Yes, I know. Hence "partial success".

This has nothing to do with Java programming. Please stop the
off-topic posts.

(No, I'm not serious.)

Arne Vajhøj

David said:
Not mine! I have found his Java and Internet glossary invaluable. Most
of his, admittedly, off-topic posts are aimed at improving the site
and I think he is entitled to use the group as he would a group of
Java programming colleagues. If you don't like it should be easy to
tell your news reader to ignore him and any thread he starts.

If there is a significant interest in supporting Roedys web site
with practical advice, then there are plenty of possibilities to
do so - web forum, blog etc. - instead of picking a usenet group
where it is off-topic.

Arne