Changing class name causes process to 'hang'

Discussion in 'Python' started by Tim Johnson, Mar 12, 2011.

  1. Tim Johnson

    Tim Johnson Guest

    I'm using Python 2.6.5 on ubuntu 10.04 32-bit.
    My issue however, is with a code base that goes back to 2002,
    which at that time was 1.5~ or so.

    I have been since that time using my own cgi module which in turn,
    uses the python standard `cgi' module.

    The object instantiation has looked something like this:
    ## code below
    cgi = cgilib.cgitools()
    ## /code

    I choose to create a new cgi module by copying `cgilib' as `cgirev'
    and renamed the `cgitools' to `Cgi' so that the instantiation
    looked like
    ## code below
    cgi = cgirev.Cgi()
    ## /code

    And ran into problems, the cgi script would run almost to
    completion, but acted like it lost track of the stack at some point
    and would not terminate.

    I deleted all .pyc files associated with any file that might be a
    dependency. That did not solve the problem. After scratching my head
    and swearing for a couple of hours, I changed the name of the `Cgi'
    class back to `cgitools' and everything worked.

    ## code below
    cgi = cgirev.Cgi()
    ## /code

    1)This is a mystery to me that may likely hide other issues that may
    come to bite me later.

    2)I don't want to be stuck with the `cgitools' classname.

    I have never used a debugger with python. Never had to, python's
    error messages have always been my friend and mentor, but in this
    case there are no error messages.

    I would welcome hints on how to trouble-shoot this issue.
    TIA
    --
    Tim
    tim at johnsons-web.com or akwebsoft.com