changing color of visited links

Guest

can someone help I am in dreamweaver trying to change the text link urls to
a different colour when I am on a link but have the links that are not
active revert back to the default colour, they were before

Travis Newbury

Nospam said:
can someone help I am in dreamweaver trying to change the text
link urls to a different colour when I am on a link but have the
links that are not active revert back to the default colour,
they were before

google "style link color" and you will be rewarded with a plethora of
examples.

But why do you want to do this?

Sid Ismail

: can someone help I am in dreamweaver trying to change the text link urls to
: a different colour when I am on a link but have the links that are not
: active revert back to the default colour, they were before

Make a top stylesheet and add:
a:visited {color:blue;}
a:hover {background-color:navy; color:aqua;}

Sid

Jemdam.com

can someone help I am in dreamweaver trying to change the text link urls
a different colour when I am on a link but have the links that are not
active revert back to the default colour, they were before

In very basic HTML you can do:

Or I do it with PHP then you can do cool stuff link make the current link a
bigger font and change the colour. You can see an example on my top menu at:
http://www.pixelverts.com

Cheers,

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Jemdam.com said:
In very basic HTML you can do:

Please don't recommend 1995 technology. Besides, "greem" is not a valid
color.
Or I do it with PHP then you can do cool stuff link make the current
link a bigger font and change the colour.

Changing font sizes on links is a Bad Idea.
You can see an example on my top menu at:
hxxp://www.pixelverts.com

You keep showing this site as a good example. It isn't. One can only
assume then, that you are spamming the groups with your site.

saz

In very basic HTML you can do:

Or I do it with PHP then you can do cool stuff link make the current link a
bigger font and change the colour. You can see an example on my top menu at:
http://www.pixelverts.com

Cheers,

What are you talking about??? Why would anyone use PHP for link color
and/or size changes? That makes no sense whatsoever.

Use CSS. There are excellent tutorials all over the internet.

X l e c t r i c

Nospam wrote:

"can someone help I am in dreamweaver trying to change the text link
urls to a different colour when I am on a link but have the links that
are not active revert back to the default colour, they were before"

If you're using CSS just set the a:link and a:visited to the same color,
then set a:hover to a different color.

Of course the design experts will probably tell you that having the same
color for link and visited is not a good idea.

Later, Art.

Jemdam.com

Please don't recommend 1995 technology. Besides, "greem" is not a valid
color.

Sorry man but I have to take you up on that, just because it is old it is
not bad. It is light on code size and very simple. Why over complicate
things? If a solution is simple it can still be good. Of course the greem
was a typo.
Changing font sizes on links is a Bad Idea.

WHY? Don't just say things with out a reason. It is a simple and clean way
to show which menu you are in.
You keep showing this site as a good example. It isn't. One can only
assume then, that you are spamming the groups with your site.

Before you say my site is a poor example tell us your domain, let's just see
if your site is any good or if you are just the type of person who likes to
flame people when really you should be a bit more constructive.

Jemdam.com

What are you talking about??? Why would anyone use PHP for link color
and/or size changes? That makes no sense whatsoever.

Use CSS. There are excellent tutorials all over the internet.

Diffenece of veiws I think. If you have a PHP page why not? If you just have
HTML then you are right it would not be worth it. The advantage of the PHP
solution is you user just gets the rendered HTML which can often be lighter
than CSS. I guess it depends on how much traffic you expect. The download is
the weak link, the server CPU is not so this is why I'm a fan of PHP.We
could argue forever on this but the original poster wanted to know some
ideas and that is what we have BOTH given him.

Cheers,

David

saz

Diffenece of veiws I think. If you have a PHP page why not? If you just have
HTML then you are right it would not be worth it. The advantage of the PHP
solution is you user just gets the rendered HTML which can often be lighter
than CSS. I guess it depends on how much traffic you expect. The download is
the weak link, the server CPU is not so this is why I'm a fan of PHP.We
could argue forever on this but the original poster wanted to know some
ideas and that is what we have BOTH given him.

Cheers,

David
You need to re-read the original post. They are using Dreamweaver and
have no idea how to change link colors, etc. Clearly a newbie, and CSS
is far easier to master than PHP.

Jonathan N. Little

Jemdam.com said:
Sorry man but I have to take you up on that, just because it is old it is
not bad. It is light on code size and very simple. Why over complicate
things? If a solution is simple it can still be good. Of course the greem
was a typo.

An example might illustrate, in your example your can only set the link
color and not its background but say you set your site all 25 pages with
magenta background and you get the crazy idea to make your links hot
pink. After you finish and sober up, you realize, 'damn thats Pug ugly!'
which is more work and code extensive changeing the body tag on all 25 page

or changing 1 stylesheet

BODY { color: white; background-color: magenta; }
A:link {color: red; }
A:visited{color: hotpink; }

Some folks are just not impressed when links rescale and cause the page
to reflow and jitter like a squirrel on crack! (actually news reference)
WHY? Don't just say things with out a reason. It is a simple and clean way
to show which menu you are in.

Before you say my site is a poor example tell us your domain, let's just see
if your site is any good or if you are just the type of person who likes to
flame people when really you should be a bit more constructive.

One could get the impression that you have been pushing your site rather
aggressively

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Jemdam.com wrote:

Please don't remove attributes.
[Beauregard wrote:]
[Jemdam wrote:]
Sorry man but I have to take you up on that, just because it is old it is
not bad. It is light on code size and very simple. Why over complicate
things? If a solution is simple it can still be good.

Auto customer: "I want to buy a new car."
Auto salesman: "We have this nice model with the hand-crank,
or this new one with an electric starter."

Your pixel site is the hand-crank variety. You haven't yet discovered
CSS. If you did know CSS, your site probably would not have that ugly
aqua background, for example.
http://k75s.home.att.net/show/pixelvert.jpg
Of course the greem was a typo.

Of course.
WHY? Don't just say things with out a reason. It is a simple and clean way
to show which menu you are in.

Changing the colour would be fine, and even adding a hover colour is
nice, but changing the font size usually disrupts the flow of the area.
It also uaually looks silly. Consider using different fore- and
background for the current page.

What you *should* do is make the link inactive for the current page, so
visitors don't click it and simply reload the same page.
Before you say my site is a poor example tell us your domain, let's just see
if your site is any good or if you are just the type of person who likes to
flame people when really you should be a bit more constructive.

Perhaps I was too succinct. No, I'm generally not a flaming person.

Some of my work:
http://countryrode.com/
http://freezeblock.com/

Joel Shepherd

What are you talking about??? Why would anyone use PHP for link color
and/or size changes? That makes no sense whatsoever.

Use CSS. There are excellent tutorials all over the internet.

Diffenece of veiws I think. If you have a PHP page why not? If you just have
HTML then you are right it would not be worth it. The advantage of the PHP
solution is you user just gets the rendered HTML which can often be lighter
than CSS.[/QUOTE]

I think someone already suggested the math here doesn't work out.
Putting 'alink' and 'vlink' attributes in an anchor tag adds ~25 bytes
to each tag. If you have a site with two dozen pages, and, say, 10 links
per page, you're looking at 6k of repetitive data ... just to set the
link color. Or, you can use ~150 bytes in a style sheet that gets sent
_once_ to the client and cached. That's 40x less data/bandwidth when CSS
is used. Now, how is HTML (generated by PHP or not) lighter than CSS
again?
I guess it depends on how much traffic you expect. The download is
the weak link, the server CPU is not ...

Maybe in your world, but that's certainly not always the case. A
sufficiently large, complex, or highly-visited site can easily tap out
available CPU power.

Jemdam.com

Auto customer: "I want to buy a new car."
Auto salesman: "We have this nice model with the hand-crank,
or this new one with an electric starter."

Man you are so narrow minded. If you want to go to stupid quotes there are
many parts of a modern car that just have not changed. If it is not broken
don't fix it. And on your car line the rotary wankle engine was invented a
very long time ago and now gets main stream in the RX 8. I just love these
forums as people are just so anal about stuff. Just relax and help the
orginal person out. Slagging my posts of is not going to get you any where.
Your pixel site is the hand-crank variety. You haven't yet discovered
CSS. If you did know CSS, your site probably would not have that ugly
aqua background, for example.
http://k75s.home.att.net/show/pixelvert.jpg

Fixed that, with the body tag - thanks for pointing that out. (See I can be
nice and respond to positive feedback).
Perhaps I was too succinct. No, I'm generally not a flaming person.

Some of my work:
http://countryrode.com/
http://freezeblock.com/
If you don't mind a comment on the sites you listed: The layout etc is good
and I'm sure the code behind is equally good. I would say the graphics are a
bit flat. A couple of hours learning lighting, shadows and button tools in
paint shop pro would make a huge visual difference.

Jemdam.com

You need to re-read the original post. They are using Dreamweaver and
have no idea how to change link colors, etc. Clearly a newbie, and CSS
is far easier to master than PHP.

Fair comment

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Jemdam.com wrote:

[Beauregard wrote:]
Stop snipping quoting attributes.
Man you are so narrow minded. If you want to go to stupid quotes there are
many parts of a modern car that just have not changed. If it is not broken
don't fix it.

It's called an analogy. Sorry you don't understand it. If my car had a
hand-crank, I would want to upgrade it to one with an electric starter,
especially for cold winter mornings. The analogy is one should want to
advance in the design/coding of their web site from ancient pre-CSS code
to modern "separate content and presentation" design.

You've been reading these groups long enough to have been exposed to
this new phenomenon.
And on your car line the rotary wankle engine was invented a
very long time ago and now gets main stream in the RX 8. I just love these
forums as people are just so anal about stuff.

I suppose you missed the RX-7 in 1979 (great little car) and the Mazda
Cosmos in 1967, the Hercules motorcycle with the Wankel engine in 1975,
Nortons and Suzukis even earlier, popular snowmobiles in the late
1960s...
Just relax and help the orginal person out.
Slagging my posts of is not going to get you any where.

Well, slagging your posts would actually help the OP. Get him on the
right track, as it were.
Fixed that, with the body tag - thanks for pointing that out. (See I can be
nice and respond to positive feedback).

Whoohoo! Good job! Now ... if you used CSS, the Validator would have
told you straightaway that the background color was missing. said:
If you don't mind a comment on the sites you listed:

Certainly not.
The layout etc is good and I'm sure the code behind is equally good.

Did you look at the CSS?
I would say the graphics are a bit flat. A couple of hours learning
lighting, shadows and button tools in paint shop pro would make a
huge visual difference.

The clients got what they paid for, and are happy. I'm not a deezyner,
I'm a programmer and a coder with little artistic skills. Actually, I'm
retired and now I just dabble.

One thing about the CSS: it's lightweight and saves the downloading of a
bunch of graphic files.

Now, please excuse me for a few hours. I'm on my way over to Country
Rode to renew the inspection on one of my motorcycles, which is due in
November.

Alan J. Flavell

- and blurted out
Man you are so narrow minded. If you want to go to stupid quotes there are
many parts of a modern car that just have not changed. If it is not broken
don't fix it.

Presentational quasi-HTML always *was* broken, from the start,
considering that the concept of a stylesheet was already
well-established, and moves to develop stylesheet notation for the web
were already under way by the time that the ex-NCSA-Mosaic folk
splattered their presentational junk markup onto the market.

I still have far too much legacy crud from that era (yes, I knew all
along that it was sub-optimal, but with the browsers available back
then, we were left with little choice in the matter). But I sure
wouldn't promote it nowadays.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Beauregard T. Shagnasty quothed:
The clients got what they paid for, and are happy. I'm not a deezyner,
I'm a programmer and a coder with little artistic skills. Actually, I'm
retired and now I just dabble.

Yeah but if you were "retired" in the other sense of the word, you
wouldn't be so damn succinct.