Changing contents of 2 frames: Back button trauma in I.E.

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Robin Somes, Apr 17, 2004.

  1. Robin Somes

    Robin Somes Guest

    Hi everyone,

    Sincere apologies if this has been done to death before.

    I have a frameset in 3 columns; 'leftmenu', 'main' and 'rightmenu'. The
    content of 'leftmenu' remains the same throughout the site; when I open
    a new page in 'main', I want its relevant sub-menu to appear in
    'rightmenu'.

    function Contents(newPage)
    {
    parent.rightmenu.document.location.href = newPage + "menu.html"
    }

    followed by:

    onclick="Contents('software')">Software</a>

    will achieve this, as will:

    function Contents(newPage)
    {
    parent.main.document.location.href = newPage + ".html";
    parent.rightmenu.document.location.href = newPage + "menu.html"
    }

    and:

    (yes, I've read and understood article 4.24 of the FAQ...)

    My problem starts on using the Back button, specifically in I.E. 5.5 and
    6:- it (quite logically, I suppose) treats each change as a separate
    step, so that one click returns the 'rightmenu' frame to its original
    content, a second is needed for the content of 'main'. All beautifully
    logical, but apt to confuse users. The Back button in Opera manages both
    changes simultaneously.

    Any suggestions?

    MTIA,

    Robin
    --
    www.newforestartgallery.co.uk
    www.badminston.demon.co.uk www.robinsomes.co.uk

    Robin Somes, Apr 17, 2004

  2. "Robin Somes" <> wrote in message

    > My problem starts on using the Back button, specifically in I.E. 5.5 and
    > 6:- it (quite logically, I suppose) treats each change as a separate
    > step, so that one click returns the 'rightmenu' frame to its original
    > content, a second is needed for the content of 'main'. All beautifully
    > logical, but apt to confuse users. The Back button in Opera manages both
    > changes simultaneously.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > MTIA,
    >
    > Robin
    > --

    Try placing some code into your unchanging frame, to check the names of the
    documents loaded into the other two. The function could be triggered
    periodically or by onload events.

    Stephen Chalmers, Apr 18, 2004

  3. Robin Somes

    Robin Somes Guest

    In message <>, Stephen Chalmers
    <> writes
    >> My problem starts on using the Back button, specifically in I.E. 5.5 and
    >> 6:- it (quite logically, I suppose) treats each change as a separate
    >> step, so that one click returns the 'rightmenu' frame to its original
    >> content, a second is needed for the content of 'main'. All beautifully
    >> logical, but apt to confuse users. The Back button in Opera manages both
    >> changes simultaneously.
    >> --

    >Try placing some code into your unchanging frame, to check the names
    >of the documents loaded into the other two. The function could be
    >triggered
    >periodically or by onload events.

    Thanks; I see your point - I should have mentioned in my original post
    that the left (unchanging) frame is the one containing the links and
    script.

    cheers,
    robin

    Robin Somes, Apr 18, 2004