Changing from cookies to URL rewriting for session management forTomcat 5.5

Discussion in 'Java' started by James Appleby, Apr 2, 2008.

  1. Hello, I am trying to configure Tomcat to use URL rewriting for
    session management and am unable to understand why it is not working.
    I have done many searchs for answers and realise that I may
    fundamentally not understand something obvious, but hope someone is
    able to help.

    The reason I want to do this is simply to test how an application I'm
    using functions without cookies, something that business requirements
    needs to be supported. I have disabled cookies in the server by
    setting <Context cookies="false"> in context.xml. I know this is
    working as I can see the HTTP data being sent and there is no cookie
    header present. Also the application keeps prompting for login.

    However the JSESSIONID is clearly not present, which is what I would
    expect to appear. In the code, each "action" that results in a page
    transistion makes a call in the following form:
    request.getRequestDispatcher("index.jsp").forward(request, response);

    As I understand, calling this method is supposed to perform all the
    logic of inserting session data, including the JSESSIONID, however
    this doesn't seem to be working. If you can help, it will be greatly
    appreciated. As I say, I've looked for pages but haven't found
    anything that clearly explains how Tomcat needs to be configured and
    how an application needs to be written. All help will be greatly
    appreciated.

    James

    James Appleby, Apr 2, 2008