changing from python2.3 to python2.4

Uwe Mayer

I've written a little application which uses the bang-line
#!/usr/bin/python

to call the interpreter. As python 2.4 comes distributed with other distroes
this breaks my application as its modules are installed
in /usr/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages/... and python2.4 does not look
there.

How do you suggest dealing with this:
- is calling /usr/bin/python2.3 in the bang-line problematic?
- installing into both python2.3 and python2.4
- rebuilding (re- ./configure, make, make install) the app solves the
problem

Whats the usual way to deal with this?

Thanks
Uwe

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=

Uwe said:
How do you suggest dealing with this:
- is calling /usr/bin/python2.3 in the bang-line problematic?
- installing into both python2.3 and python2.4
- rebuilding (re- ./configure, make, make install) the app solves the
problem

Whats the usual way to deal with this?

People normally often install multiple versions of Python on a machine
if they need to support many different Python applications. They then
migrate one application after another to the new Python version, and
eventually uninstall the old version.

Putting python2.3 in the bang line should work fine, so if you can
arrange to find all scripts that need to be changed, that might be
the easiest solution. For rebuilding, you probably would need to do
some testing whether everything still works fine; if it does, this
is likely what you will do in the long run either way - at some
point, on a new machine, it will be easier to recompile your application
than installing python2.3 from sources.

Regards,
Martin