    Whats the usual way to deal with this?

    Thanks
    Uwe

    Uwe Mayer, Apr 8, 2005

  2. Uwe Mayer wrote:
    > How do you suggest dealing with this:
    > - is calling /usr/bin/python2.3 in the bang-line problematic?
    > - installing into both python2.3 and python2.4
    > - rebuilding (re- ./configure, make, make install) the app solves the
    > problem
    >
    > Whats the usual way to deal with this?

    People normally often install multiple versions of Python on a machine
    if they need to support many different Python applications. They then
    migrate one application after another to the new Python version, and
    eventually uninstall the old version.

    Putting python2.3 in the bang line should work fine, so if you can
    arrange to find all scripts that need to be changed, that might be
    the easiest solution. For rebuilding, you probably would need to do
    some testing whether everything still works fine; if it does, this
    is likely what you will do in the long run either way - at some
    point, on a new machine, it will be easier to recompile your application
    than installing python2.3 from sources.

    Regards,
    Martin

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=, Apr 9, 2005