Changing location of a window

Discussion in 'HTML' started by fulio pen, Sep 16, 2011.

  1. fulio pen

    fulio pen Guest

    fulio pen, Sep 16, 2011

  2. fulio pen wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > My question is in the following web page:
    >
    > http://www.pinyinology.com/diaoHao2a/group/box.html
    >
    > Thanks for your help..

    "When clicking the 'left', a window will appear at the left-hand upper
    corner. When clicking the 'right', a window will appear at the
    right-hand upper corner."

    Of what? Positioning of windows via JavaScript is disabled on my browser
    by default and other modern browsers. It was an abused security risk in
    the past.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Sep 17, 2011

  3. fulio pen

    fulio pen Guest

    On Sep 16, 7:57 pm, "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:
    > fulio pen wrote:
    > > Hello,

    > > My question is in the following web page:

    > >http://www.pinyinology.com/diaoHao2a/group/box.html

    > > Thanks for your help..

    > "When clicking the 'left', a window will appear at the left-hand upper
    > corner. When clicking the 'right', a window will appear at the
    > right-hand upper corner."
    >
    > Of what? Positioning of windows via JavaScript is disabled on my browser
    > by default and other modern browsers. It was an abused security risk in
    > the past.
    >
    > --
    > Take care,
    >
    > Jonathan
    > -------------------
    > LITTLE WORKS STUDIOhttp://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    It should have been 'left/right corner of the main window'. Wording
    has been changed for clarity. Please see it again:

    http://www.pinyinology.com/diaoHao2a/group/box.html

    Thanks for response.

    fulio pen

    fulio pen, Sep 17, 2011
  4. fulio pen wrote:

    > It should have been 'left/right corner of the main window'. Wording has
    > been changed for clarity. Please see it again:
    >
    > http://www.pinyinology.com/diaoHao2a/group/box.html

    They don't appear in the main window. They appear outside the browser
    window, on the desktop.

    You have JavaScript on the page, that opens each of these windows, but
    you do not specify any *location* for either of them. On my computer,
    they default to the upper right corner of the desktop, on my 22"
    1680x1050 monitor - regardless of where or what size the browser window
    is. (My browser is 900px wide, on the right side of the monitor.)

    How to position a window:
    http://www.pageresource.com/jscript/jwinopen.htm
    http://javascript.about.com/library/blpopup5.htm
    and even in the center of the screen:
    http://www.nigraphic.com/blog/java-script/how-open-new-window-popup-
    center-screen

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 17, 2011
  5. fulio pen

    Ray_Net Guest

    In article <a4b0cbbd-d8d4-4513-9ebc-73c151a1e099
    @c29g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>, says...

    > On Sep 16, 7:57 pm, "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:
    > > fulio pen wrote:
    > > > Hello,

    > > > My question is in the following web page:

    > > >http://www.pinyinology.com/diaoHao2a/group/box.html

    > > > Thanks for your help..

    > > "When clicking the 'left', a window will appear at the left-hand upper
    > > corner. When clicking the 'right', a window will appear at the
    > > right-hand upper corner."
    > >
    > > Of what? Positioning of windows via JavaScript is disabled on my browser
    > > by default and other modern browsers. It was an abused security risk in
    > > the past.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Take care,
    > >
    > > Jonathan
    > > -------------------
    > > LITTLE WORKS STUDIOhttp://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    > It should have been 'left/right corner of the main window'. Wording
    > has been changed for clarity. Please see it again:
    >
    > http://www.pinyinology.com/diaoHao2a/group/box.html
    >
    > Thanks for response.
    >
    > fulio pen

    Let the user put the window where he want - please stop to impose your
    ideas !!!

    Ray_Net, Sep 17, 2011
  6. fulio pen

    idle Guest

    On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 18:24:07 -0700 (PDT), fulio pen wrote in alt.html:

    > On Sep 16, 7:57 pm, "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:
    >> fulio pen wrote:
    >>> Hello,

    >>> My question is in the following web page:

    >>>http://www.pinyinology.com/diaoHao2a/group/box.html

    >>> Thanks for your help..

    >> "When clicking the 'left', a window will appear at the left-hand upper
    >> corner. When clicking the 'right', a window will appear at the
    >> right-hand upper corner."
    >>
    >> Of what? Positioning of windows via JavaScript is disabled on my browser
    >> by default and other modern browsers. It was an abused security risk in
    >> the past.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Take care,
    >>
    >> Jonathan
    >> -------------------
    >> LITTLE WORKS STUDIOhttp://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    > It should have been 'left/right corner of the main window'. Wording
    > has been changed for clarity. Please see it again:
    >
    > http://www.pinyinology.com/diaoHao2a/group/box.html
    >
    > Thanks for response.
    >
    > fulio pen

    Not sure if you can do right but add the left='value', top='value to
    each and you'll get a better idea.

    function newWindow2() {
    var catWindow = window.open('notes.html',
    'catwin','left=20,top=20, width=640, height=400,
    scrollbars=no');
    catWindow.focus();}

    function newWindow4() {
    var catWindow = window.open('zhw.html',
    'catwin','left=600,top=20, width=600, height=400,
    scrollbars=yes');
    catWindow.focus();

    YMMV

    --
    idle
    Medically speaking, how does giving marijuana to a terminally ill

    idle, Sep 17, 2011
  7. fulio pen

    fulio pen Guest

    > Not sure if you can do right but add the left='value', top='value to
    > each and you'll get a better idea.
    >
    > function newWindow2() {
    >  var catWindow = window.open('notes.html',
    > 'catwin','left=20,top=20, width=640, height=400,
    > scrollbars=no');
    > catWindow.focus();}
    >
    > function newWindow4() {
    > var catWindow = window.open('zhw.html',
    > 'catwin','left=600,top=20, width=600, height=400,
    > scrollbars=yes');
    > catWindow.focus();
    >
    > YMMV
    >
    > --
    > idle
    > Medically speaking, how does giving marijuana to a terminally ill
    > patient cause damage?

    I will test them, and hope they will work. Thanks a lot for your help.

    fulio pen

    fulio pen, Sep 17, 2011
  8. fulio pen

    fulio pen Guest

    On Sep 17, 10:51 am, idle <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 18:24:07 -0700 (PDT), fulio pen wrote in alt.html:

    > >> "When clicking the 'left', a window will appear at the left-hand upper
    > >> corner. When clicking the 'right', a window will appear at the
    > >> right-hand upper corner."

    > >> Of what? Positioning of windows via JavaScript is disabled on my browser
    > >> by default and other modern browsers. It was an abused security risk in
    > >> the past.

    > >> --
    > >> Take care,

    > >> Jonathan
    > >> -------------------
    > >> LITTLE WORKS STUDIOhttp://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    > > It should have been 'left/right corner of the main window'.  Wording
    > > has been changed for clarity.   Please see it again:

    > >http://www.pinyinology.com/diaoHao2a/group/box.html

    > > Thanks for response.

    > > fulio pen

    > Not sure if you can do right but add the left='value', top='value to
    > each and you'll get a better idea.
    >
    > function newWindow2() {
    >  var catWindow = window.open('notes.html',
    > 'catwin','left=20,top=20, width=640, height=400,
    > scrollbars=no');
    > catWindow.focus();}
    >
    > function newWindow4() {
    > var catWindow = window.open('zhw.html',
    > 'catwin','left=600,top=20, width=600, height=400,
    > scrollbars=yes');
    > catWindow.focus();
    >
    > YMMV
    >
    > --
    > idle
    > Medically speaking, how does giving marijuana to a terminally ill
    > patient cause damage?

    Hi,

    Adding top and left values works. Please open the following page and
    click each word:

    http://www.pinyinology.com/diaoHao2a/group/box2a.html

    Thanks for your help.

    fulio pen

    fulio pen, Sep 17, 2011
  9. fulio pen

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <

    fulio pen <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Adding top and left values works. Please open the following page and
    > click each word:
    >
    > http://www.pinyinology.com/diaoHao2a/group/box2a.

    Both boxes open to the left of all my browsers when the browser
    is on the right side of my screen.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Sep 18, 2011
  10. fulio pen

    fulio pen Guest

    On Sep 17, 8:07 pm, dorayme <> wrote:

    > Both boxes open to the left of all my browsers when the browser
    > is on the right side of my screen.
    >
    > --
    > dorayme

    Hi, dorayme, would you try again:

    http://www.pinyinology.com/diaoHao2a/group/box2a.html

    The displays are good on my computer, the left is on the left, and
    right on the right. I may have to test on more computers. Thanks.

    fulio pen

    fulio pen, Sep 19, 2011
  11. fulio pen wrote:
    > On Sep 17, 8:07 pm, dorayme<> wrote:
    >
    >> Both boxes open to the left of all my browsers when the browser
    >> is on the right side of my screen.
    >>
    >> --
    >> dorayme

    > Hi, dorayme, would you try again:
    >
    > http://www.pinyinology.com/diaoHao2a/group/box2a.html
    >
    > The displays are good on my computer, the left is on the left, and
    > right on the right. I may have to test on more computers. Thanks.

    It display on a other monitor on my system...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Sep 19, 2011
  12. > Hi, dorayme, would you try again:

    > http://www.pinyinology.com/diaoHao2a/group/box2a.html
    >
    > The displays are good on my computer, the left is on the left, and right
    > on the right. I may have to test on more computers. Thanks.

    For me, the left is left, and the right is left-of-center. You are not
    considering sizes of monitors...

    http://tekrider.net/usenet/boxes2a.jpg

    Further, if the left window is allowed to remain open, then "right" is
    clicked, the right window just refills the left window, instead of
    opening its own window.

    You need to figure out some way to tell the JavaScript to open the right
    window 600px from the right edge of screen, no matter how wide it is.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 19, 2011
  13. fulio pen

    Ray_Net Guest

    In article <ece8b236-85c5-495e-b2d3-443a7161cd07
    @f8g2000yqf.googlegroups.com>, says...

    > On Sep 17, 8:07 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    >
    > > Both boxes open to the left of all my browsers when the browser
    > > is on the right side of my screen.
    > >
    > > --
    > > dorayme

    > Hi, dorayme, would you try again:
    >
    > http://www.pinyinology.com/diaoHao2a/group/box2a.html
    >
    > The displays are good on my computer, the left is on the left, and
    > right on the right. I may have to test on more computers. Thanks.

    If i click left first, the left click or the right click goes together
    on the first window opened outside of the parent window.
    If i click rigth first, the left click or the right click goes together
    on the first window opened near the middle of the parent window.

    In other words - doesnot work at all.

    BUT, please let people position their windows where they want - do NOT
    impose what you dream.

    Ray_Net, Sep 19, 2011
  14. fulio pen

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <

    fulio pen <> wrote:

    > On Sep 17, 8:07 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    >
    > > Both boxes open to the left of all my browsers when the browser
    > > is on the right side of my screen.
    > >
    > > --
    > > dorayme

    > Hi, dorayme, would you try again:
    >
    > http://www.pinyinology.com/diaoHao2a/group/box2a.html
    >
    > The displays are good on my computer, the left is on the left, and
    > right on the right. I may have to test on more computers. Thanks.

    Unfortunately much the same as before.

    I notice also that if you click the left or right and then click
    the right or left, both windows open left or right or right or
    left, respectively, one replacing the other wherever it is.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Sep 19, 2011
  15. fulio pen

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Ray_Net <> wrote:

    > BUT, please let people position their windows where they want - do NOT
    > impose what you dream.

    Well, maybe, maybe not. I know for a fact that many people have
    appreciated a product of mine called Scary Window. It is a sort
    of holographic manic looking cat. On click, it comes right out of
    the monitor and roams about the house, a sort of mouse control
    facility for in the dead of night when the human occupants are
    asleep or when on holidays.

    In development, 47% of the mice that saw it died of fright,
    nearly all the rest scarpered as far away from the test house as
    they could.

    There *were* a few mice that learnt to resist it,OK. But these
    were handled by a clever little development of the product, a cat
    that sounded off frighteningly, a variety of wav files being
    employed. The neat thing about the sound is how it seems to come
    from wherever the pop away window is.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Sep 20, 2011
  16. dorayme wrote:

    > Well, maybe, maybe not. I know for a fact that many people have
    > appreciated a product of mine called Scary Window

    I thought that was Microsoft's, oops no, that's Window*s* 8!

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan

    Jonathan N. Little, Sep 20, 2011