Changing machineKey in live production site

Zoe Hart

In an effort to address ViewState invalid errors, I want to set the
machineKey element in web.config on my two web servers. (The load balancer
should be keeping a client on a single web server throughout a single
session, but there are always ways a user can end up switching servers -
e.g. a server comes out of load balance for any reason - so I want to
configure my web farm to handle that scenario.) My question is, when I add
the machineKey setting to web.config (overriding the machine.config settings
of AutoGenerate, IsolateApps) will all of my current users get a flurry of
ViewState invalid errors because of the change in machineKey settings. Is
there a way to avoid this? Obviously I can try to minimize it by making the
change during a relatively "quiet" period, but is there anything else I can
do?

Thanks,
Zoe Hart
Competitive Computing

Eric Lawrence [MSFT]

I'm not aware of any strategy that would work.

--
Thanks,

Eric Lawrence
Program Manager