Changing Session.LCID in a hyperlink

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Rob, May 3, 2004.

  1. Rob

    Rob Guest

    Hi all,

    Is it possible to change the Session.LCID in a hyperlink?
    My problem is I'm calling a Date from a database to use as a querystring in
    the hyperlink but I also need to display the date as output from the
    hyperlink.
    I need to have to querystring in Session.LCID = 1033 and the display date in
    Session.LCID = 2057.

    Coding :-

    Session.LCID = 1033

    Whereever I put Session.LCID = 2057 I either get errors saying its in the
    wrong place or It displays false. Tried the following that gives the false.

    Session.LCID = 1033

    Any ideas?
    Many thanks in advance,
    Robert
    Rob, May 3, 2004

  2. Why are you using Session.LCID at all? How about formatting your date in a
    standard, non-ambiguous format???

    --
    Aaron Bertrand
    SQL Server MVP

    Aaron Bertrand - MVP, May 3, 2004

  3. Rob

    Rob Guest

    Could point, although not sure how to. The date is in uk format i.e.
    dd/mm/yy in an access database. When I try and do a date range query in asp
    it only works if I use the american format mm/dd/yy.
    If you know of a way round this or how to do the formatting then I'd be
    grateful.

    Many thanks,
    Robert

    Rob, May 3, 2004
  4. > Could point, although not sure how to. The date is in uk format i.e.
    > dd/mm/yy in an access database.

    NO! The date is not in any format inside the database. It is merely being
    presented to you as such. To pass a standard, non-ambiguous date to Access,
    which will never be misinterpreted, use #YYYY-MM-DD#.

    http://www.aspfaq.com/2313

    > When I try and do a date range query in asp
    > it only works if I use the american format mm/dd/yy.

    Again, if you are trying to find rows that are >= 20040101 and <= 20040131
    try

    WHERE dateColumn >= #2004-01-01# AND dateColumn < #2004-02-01#

    --
    Aaron Bertrand
    SQL Server MVP
    Aaron Bertrand - MVP, May 3, 2004
  5. Rob

    roger Guest

    "Rob" <> wrote in message
    > Could point, although not sure how to. The date is in uk format i.e.
    > dd/mm/yy in an access database. When I try and do a date range query in

    asp
    > it only works if I use the american format mm/dd/yy.

    Do you mean when using "#" to delimit dates?

    I think if you use #01/11/2004# syntax in MS SQL, this will always mean

    11th day of January

    irrespective of any locale settings.

    How about...

    dim d

    d = rshelpdesk("date")

    "<a href=""applybankholiday.asp?date=" & month(d) & "/" & day(d) & "/" &
    year(d) & """>" &

    However, I suspect nothing is foolproof for non-US date formats.

    --
    roger
    roger, May 4, 2004
  6. > I think if you use #01/11/2004# syntax in MS SQL, this will always mean

    > 11th day of January
    >
    > irrespective of any locale settings.

    No, this is incorrect on at least two counts.

    (1) SQL Server will barf on # as delimiters. Run this in Query Analyzer:

    DECLARE @dt SMALLDATETIME
    SET @dt = #01/11/2004#

    You will get this:

    Server: Msg 170, Level 15, State 1, Line 2
    Line 2: Incorrect syntax near '#'.

    (2) SQL Server will certainly *NOT* always interpret 01/11/2004 as January
    11th. Even if you have a US locale and set up SQL Server as US English,
    feel free to run this simple repro in Query Analyzer:

    SET LANGUAGE FRENCH
    GO

    SELECT DATENAME(MONTH, '01/11/2004')

    SET LANGUAGE ENGLISH
    GO

    Let us know if you get janvier or novembre!

    --
    Aaron Bertrand
    SQL Server MVP
    Aaron Bertrand [MVP], May 5, 2004
  7. Rob

    roger Guest

    "Aaron Bertrand [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    > > I think if you use #01/11/2004# syntax in MS SQL, this will always mean
    > >
    > > 11th day of January
    > >
    > > irrespective of any locale settings.

    > No, this is incorrect on at least two counts.
    >
    > (1) SQL Server will barf on # as delimiters. Run this in Query Analyzer:

    True... but we were discussing MSAccess.

    In that context, "MS SQL" was meant to mean the MS version of SQL included
    with Access.

    --
    roger
    roger, May 5, 2004
  8. > True... but we were discussing MSAccess.

    > In that context, "MS SQL" was meant to mean the MS version of SQL included
    > with Access.

    I think in 99% of all cases, MS SQL will be interpreted as SQL Server...
    even if the discussion had previously involved a different platform.

    And even with Access, #mm/dd/yyyy# is STILL not a safe format to use. The
    only truly safe format to use in Access is #YYYY-MM-DD#
    Aaron Bertrand [MVP], May 5, 2004
  9. roger wrote:
    > In that context, "MS SQL" was meant to mean the MS version of SQL
    > included with Access.

    For future reference, that version is called "JetSQL", due to its use with
    the Jet database most commonly used with Access (remember: Access is not the
    database. Access is a front-end tool for working with several databases,
    including Jet and MSDE).

    Also, "MS SQL" will always be interpreted as MS SQL Server. The version of
    SQL used by MS SQL Server is called Transact-SQL (often shortened to T-SQL)

    Bob Barrows

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"