Changing the current directory (full post)

vsoler

Oops!!! something went wrong with my keyboard. Here you have my full
post:

Ever since I installed my Python 2.6 interpreter (I use IDLE), I've
been saving my
*.py files in the C:\Program Files\Python26 directory, which is the
default directory for such files in my system.

However, I have realised that the above is not the best practice.
Therefore I created the C:\Program Files\Python26\test directory and I
want it to be my default directory for saving *.py files, importing
modules, etc.

I'd like to do something like the DOS equivalent of "CD test" but I
do not know kow to do it.

I am currently doing something really awful: I open a *.py file in the
test subdirectory, I run it with the F5 key and it works! but I am
doing really something stupid.

I can see that it works because if I do

import sys
sys.path

.... the first directory in the list is the test one.

How should I proceed, if I want to proceed properly?

Vicente Soler

Gabriel Genellina

Ever since I installed my Python 2.6 interpreter (I use IDLE), I've
been saving my
*.py files in the C:\Program Files\Python26 directory, which is the
default directory for such files in my system.

However, I have realised that the above is not the best practice.
Therefore I created the C:\Program Files\Python26\test directory and I
want it to be my default directory for saving *.py files, importing
modules, etc.

This is *not* a good place either. Non-privileged users should not have
write permission in the C:\Program Files directory.
I'd like to do something like the DOS equivalent of "CD test" but I
do not know kow to do it.

I am currently doing something really awful: I open a *.py file in the
test subdirectory, I run it with the F5 key and it works! but I am
doing really something stupid.

"it works!" What's the problem then?
How should I proceed, if I want to proceed properly?

Sorry but I don't even see your problem. You can save your .py files
anywhere you like...

vsoler

This is *not* a good place either. Non-privileged users should not have
write permission in the C:\Program Files directory.

"it works!" What's the problem then?

Sorry but I don't even see your problem. You can save your .py files
anywhere you like...

Gabriel,

When I enter IDLE, I'd like to say at the prompt: "my current
directory is... ...test" and then be able to run a module in that
directory. This is what my problem is!!!

Thank you if you can help

Chris Rebert

Gabriel,

When I enter IDLE, I'd like to say at the prompt: "my current
directory is...  ...test" and then be able to run a module in that
directory. This is what my problem is!!!

1. File -> Open
2. Navigate to file and choose it
3. Press F5

Cheers,
Chris

vsoler

1. File -> Open
2. Navigate to file and choose it
3. Press F5

Cheers,
Chris
--http://blog.rebertia.com

Say that you wanted to import a file in the test directory after just
entering IDLE. How would you do it?

Chris Rebert

Say that you wanted to import a file in the test directory after just
entering IDLE. How would you do it?

import sys
sys.path.insert(0, "C:/path/to/test/dir/here")
import something_in_test_dir

Cheers,
Chris

Dave Angel

Chris said:
import sys
sys.path.insert(0, "C:/path/to/test/dir/here")
import something_in_test_dir

Cheers,
Chris
Change directory to the test-directory
Then run idle

Gabriel Genellina

Change directory to the test-directory
Then run idle

Or, modify the Initial Directory in the menu shortcut that you use to
start IDLE (right click, Properties). Or create another shortcut in your
desktop using your desired initial directory.