Changing the default Perl mode for emacs (Please help)

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by draxil@gmail.com, Feb 3, 2012.

    There's a bug in the works to get the default perl mode in emacs
    switched to "cperl-mode". RMS has responded to the bug:

    > The reason I did not make cperl mode the default, years ago, was
    > that some users preferred the older perl mode. They thought cperl
    > had some drawbacks. And the author of cperl mode was unwilling to
    > fix them.
    >
    >I don't recall what those drawbacks were -- I never used Perl -- and
    > I don't know if this is still true.

    So I'm posting in Perl/emacs spaces to see if I can gather opinion
    from the community to support (or oppose the change). In particular if
    anyone can remember what the original concerns were which kept
    perl-mode as the default, or what flaws may still remain in
    cperl-mode.

    Please either contact me or post to the bug:

    http://old.nabble.com/forum/ViewPost.jtp?post=33244646&framed=y

    Thanks,
    Joe.
    , Feb 3, 2012

  2. Marc Girod Guest

    On Feb 3, 9:44 am, wrote:

    > So I'm posting in Perl/emacs spaces to see if I can gather opinion
    > from the community to support (or oppose the change). In particular if
    > anyone can remember what the original concerns were which kept
    > perl-mode as the default, or what flaws may still remain in
    > cperl-mode.

    You'll get an answer from the author...
    But the issue I believe is that cperl is made for an old version of
    the emacs macro.
    Recent byte compilers will barf at every second line.

    The conversion is rather trivial (I offered one--I believe the cygwin
    porter maintains one).
    But the author--with all my admiration and love--is not willing to
    switch from emacs 18.xx
    That's what I remember.
    I do use cperl myself. On cygwin for the time being.

    Marc
    Marc Girod, Feb 3, 2012