Changing to unordered list and sidebar placement?

John

Hello!

I am having a little trouble designing the basic layout of a webpage.
A lot of the code is php, however the basic design tags are all html,
so I am asking for help here.

The main problem I have is that my list is an ordered list with
rounded bullets both solid and hollow in front of the categories. I
would like this to be unordered.

The tags that start the list are <ul> tags, and I thought this was the
unordered tag? So I am not too sure why it is coming up with the
bullets? I thought it should only do this if I have <ol> tags?

Also, there is a small gap between the top of the sidebar and the
header of the page, and also the footer, where, the main content to
the right seeps in. How do I get the sidebar to continue all the way
from the bottom of the header to the top of the footer, without any
gaps?

I have tried to change a few things so far with the style sheet, but
have only been able to get rid of line borders for the header and
footer which I didn't like, I've not yet been able to get rid of the
gap.

The location of the page is here:
http://tinyurl.com/a4e3y

This is the code for the sidebar with the list I wish to change:
http://tinyurl.com/b7at7

And this is the code for the style sheet. It is a WordPress theme I
modified from UrbanGiraffe.
http://tinyurl.com/8bghc

If you can help me with the list and getting rid of the gaps above and
below the sidebar I would be very grateful.

It is probably something simple that I have missed.

Thanks

John

Steve Pugh

John said:
The main problem I have is that my list is an ordered list with
rounded bullets both solid and hollow in front of the categories. I
would like this to be unordered.

Um, if bullets are appearing then it is an unordered list. An ordered
list would have some form of numbering instead of the bullets.
The tags that start the list are <ul> tags, and I thought this was the
unordered tag? So I am not too sure why it is coming up with the
bullets? I thought it should only do this if I have <ol> tags?

No. See above, or consult the HTML spec for the full story.

If you want an unordered list with no bullets set the CSS
list-style-type property to none.
Also, there is a small gap between the top of the sidebar and the
header of the page,

Margin collapsing. The margin of the top most element inside the
sidebar collapses with the margin of the sidebar and creates a margin
the size of the greater of the two above the sidebar. Having non-zero
border-top or padding-top on the sidebar will prevent this.
and also the footer, where, the main content to the right seeps in.

I can't see this problem. Can you explain a bit more?

Steve

John

Um, if bullets are appearing then it is an unordered list. An ordered
list would have some form of numbering instead of the bullets.

No. See above, or consult the HTML spec for the full story.

If you want an unordered list with no bullets set the CSS
list-style-type property to none.

Yes this is what I want. I thought it may be something in the CSS,
because on another webpage I have there is a list without the bullets.
Margin collapsing. The margin of the top most element inside the
sidebar collapses with the margin of the sidebar and creates a margin
the size of the greater of the two above the sidebar. Having non-zero
border-top or padding-top on the sidebar will prevent this.

Thanks mate. I will look into this right away.
I can't see this problem. Can you explain a bit more?

I think it must be because the colours are so similar, but I believe
there is also a gap to the footer as well. I will have to change the
colour so I can tell.

Thanks for the help

John