Changing viewstate on client

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Building Controls' started by Paul K, Mar 16, 2005.

  1. Paul K

    Paul K Guest

    I created a custom datagrid that works similarly to the new GridView control
    (using the XML request/response objects to retrieve data in the background
    for paging/sorting). Everything is working, but I want to streamline it a
    little.

    The biggest problem I've had is that the datagrid keeps it's current page
    index in viewstate, and viewstate is essentially useless during a client
    "callback" because the data in viewstate is out of sync with the events
    coming in.

    If I could update the viewstate on the client with a new viewstate from the
    server, then I wouldn't have to jump through hoops just to get paging to work
    - the viewstate would always be in sync with callbacks. I tried just getting
    the viewstate in SavePageStateToPersistenceMedium and serializing it with the
    LosFormatter class, but I get the "invalid viewstate" exception on any
    subsequent calls.

    I'm not looking to modify values inside of the viewstate on the client - I'm
    looking to update the entire viewstate with a valid viewstate from the web
    server.

    Does anyone know if this is possible?

    Paul K, Mar 16, 2005