Changing web-site design and keeping Google rating

Discussion in 'HTML' started by patrick j, May 1, 2008.

  1. patrick j

    patrick j Guest

    Hi

    My personal web-site does surprisingly well in Google UK searches coming
    quite high in the list depending on search terms chosen.

    I've been working on a complete re-design using a different directory
    structure although much of the content will be the same.

    I'm wondering if this new web-site will lose the good position of the old
    one in Google searches?

    The main URL will stay the same but the other parts will change.

    Thank you.

    --
    Patrick - Brighton, UK
    If you wish email me from my web-site: <http://www.patrickjames.me.uk>

    patrick j, May 1, 2008

  2. patrick j

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "patrick j" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > My personal web-site does surprisingly well in Google UK searches coming
    > quite high in the list depending on search terms chosen.
    >
    > I've been working on a complete re-design using a different directory
    > structure although much of the content will be the same.
    >
    > I'm wondering if this new web-site will lose the good position of the old
    > one in Google searches?
    >
    > The main URL will stay the same but the other parts will change.
    >
    > Thank you.

    When a user requests the original pages send them to the appropriate place
    in the new pages using a 301 permanently moved header.

    Nik Coughlin, May 1, 2008

  3. Scripsit patrick j:

    > My personal web-site does surprisingly well in Google UK searches
    > coming quite high in the list depending on search terms chosen.

    Well, this probably says more about your choice of search terms than
    anything else, but it might also reflect just what Google happened to do
    when you tested. Rumors say that Google search logic or at least some
    essential parameter there is changed daily or several times a day,
    mainly to disturb dishonest "search engine optimization".

    > I've been working on a complete re-design using a different directory
    > structure although much of the content will be the same.

    To deal with the problem of getting so high, I presume. :)

    > I'm wondering if this new web-site will lose the good position of the
    > old one in Google searches?

    Probably.

    > The main URL will stay the same but the other parts will change.

    Cool URLs don't change.

    You could use HTTP redirects (or could you?), but why _would_ you
    a) change the directory structure
    b) let such a change affect _URLs_?

    URLs are not filenames. If your web server environment does not let you
    define the mapping between filenames and URLs as you like, then you have
    a very good specific reason not to change the directory structure or
    filenames.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, May 2, 2008
  4. On May 1, 4:22 pm, patrick j <> wrote:
    > http://www.patrickjames.me.uk

    Hey, went to your website, and saw the sample of what you did. (hold
    your tongue.... hold your tongue...) Got a question. Maybe it is an
    English thing (don't know) but in the "check list" menu, why didn't
    you put the check mark in front of the menu item? You put the check
    mark at the end of the line, typically it would be at the beginning.

    Is there a reason, or did you just not think about it either way and I
    must be enjoying my pain meds a little too much?

    See dorayme, this is the nicer Travis...

    Travis Newbury, May 2, 2008
  5. patrick j

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Travis Newbury <> wrote:

    > On May 1, 4:22 pm, patrick j <> wrote:
    > > http://www.patrickjames.me.uk

    > Hey, went to your website, and saw the sample of what you did. (hold
    > your tongue.... hold your tongue...) Got a question. Maybe it is an
    > English thing (don't know) but in the "check list" menu, why didn't
    > you put the check mark in front of the menu item? You put the check
    > mark at the end of the line, typically it would be at the beginning.
    >
    > Is there a reason, or did you just not think about it either way and I
    > must be enjoying my pain meds a little too much?
    >
    > See dorayme, this is the nicer Travis...

    I have never really thought you were anything but thoroughly nice and
    decent and good. I have just gone along with your attempts to portray
    yourself as a man of hard steel realism when I know, and everyone else
    knows that you are nothing but a warm, cuddly, teddy bear.

    xxx

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, May 2, 2008
  6. On May 2, 6:19 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > and everyone else
    > knows that you are nothing but a warm, cuddly, teddy bear.

    I am mellowing with age...

    Travis Newbury, May 3, 2008
  7. On May 2, 6:19 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > Got a question. Maybe it is an
    > > English thing (don't know) but in the "check list" menu, why didn't
    > > you put the check mark in front of the menu item? You put the check
    > > mark at the end of the line, typically it would be at the beginning.

    Hey, your Ausie right? Thant is kind of like English lite isn't it?
    (if that statement is offensive, it was not meant to be) What abut
    the check marks? If there reason for putting them at the end of the
    item rather than at the beginning as I believe is normal.

    Travis Newbury, May 3, 2008
  8. patrick j

    patrick j Guest

    On May 2, 2008 Travis Newbury wrote:

    > On May 1, 4:22 pm, patrick j <> wrote:
    >> http://www.patrickjames.me.uk

    > Hey, went to your website, and saw the sample of what you did. (hold
    > your tongue.... hold your tongue...) Got a question. Maybe it is an
    > English thing (don't know) but in the "check list" menu, why didn't
    > you put the check mark in front of the menu item? You put the check
    > mark at the end of the line, typically it would be at the beginning.

    Hi

    I wonder if you are talking about this one:

    http://www.inventoryworks.co.uk/

    which has a check list arrangement.

    You might be right perhaps the 'tick' should be at the beginning.
    Personally I think it would be at the end but I might be crazy.

    I am living in England and have done for many years.

    patrick j, May 3, 2008
  9. On May 2, 9:47 pm, patrick j <> wrote:
    /> >>http://www.patrickjames.me.uk
    > >You put the check
    > > mark at the end of the line, typically it would be at the beginning.

    > I wonder if you are talking about this one:
    > http://www.inventoryworks.co.uk/
    > which has a check list arrangement.

    That's the puppy.

    > You might be right perhaps the 'tick' should be at the beginning.
    > Personally I think it would be at the end but I might be crazy.

    I don't know, that's why I asked. When making a check list I usually
    draw a little box, and write the item down Then when I get to an Item
    I would check it off. So I would think a check box belongs in the
    front. Then I saw this while on some major pain meds for a little
    surgery I had done and thought, "If I have had this small thing wrong
    all my life, what other things do I believe that are wrong..." So
    your check boxes had pretty much forced me to reconsider my views on
    life, love, God and the universe.

    > I am living in England and have done for many years.

    Now that the pain has subsided I realize that I in fact am right, and
    the little check boxes belong in the front. But I fully support your
    decision to place them in the rear.

    Travis Newbury, May 3, 2008