Changing web-site design and keeping Google rating

patrick j

Hi

My personal web-site does surprisingly well in Google UK searches coming
quite high in the list depending on search terms chosen.

I've been working on a complete re-design using a different directory
structure although much of the content will be the same.

I'm wondering if this new web-site will lose the good position of the old
one in Google searches?

The main URL will stay the same but the other parts will change.

Thank you.

Nik Coughlin

patrick j said:
Hi

My personal web-site does surprisingly well in Google UK searches coming
quite high in the list depending on search terms chosen.

I've been working on a complete re-design using a different directory
structure although much of the content will be the same.

I'm wondering if this new web-site will lose the good position of the old
one in Google searches?

The main URL will stay the same but the other parts will change.

Thank you.

When a user requests the original pages send them to the appropriate place
in the new pages using a 301 permanently moved header.

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit patrick j:
My personal web-site does surprisingly well in Google UK searches
coming quite high in the list depending on search terms chosen.

Well, this probably says more about your choice of search terms than
anything else, but it might also reflect just what Google happened to do
when you tested. Rumors say that Google search logic or at least some
essential parameter there is changed daily or several times a day,
mainly to disturb dishonest "search engine optimization".
I've been working on a complete re-design using a different directory
structure although much of the content will be the same.

To deal with the problem of getting so high, I presume. :)
I'm wondering if this new web-site will lose the good position of the
old one in Google searches?
Probably.

The main URL will stay the same but the other parts will change.

Cool URLs don't change.

You could use HTTP redirects (or could you?), but why _would_ you
a) change the directory structure
b) let such a change affect _URLs_?

URLs are not filenames. If your web server environment does not let you
define the mapping between filenames and URLs as you like, then you have
a very good specific reason not to change the directory structure or
filenames.

Travis Newbury

Hey, went to your website, and saw the sample of what you did. (hold
your tongue.... hold your tongue...) Got a question. Maybe it is an
English thing (don't know) but in the "check list" menu, why didn't
you put the check mark in front of the menu item? You put the check
mark at the end of the line, typically it would be at the beginning.

Is there a reason, or did you just not think about it either way and I
must be enjoying my pain meds a little too much?

See dorayme, this is the nicer Travis...

dorayme

Travis Newbury said:
Hey, went to your website, and saw the sample of what you did. (hold
your tongue.... hold your tongue...) Got a question. Maybe it is an
English thing (don't know) but in the "check list" menu, why didn't
you put the check mark in front of the menu item? You put the check
mark at the end of the line, typically it would be at the beginning.

Is there a reason, or did you just not think about it either way and I
must be enjoying my pain meds a little too much?

See dorayme, this is the nicer Travis...

I have never really thought you were anything but thoroughly nice and
decent and good. I have just gone along with your attempts to portray
yourself as a man of hard steel realism when I know, and everyone else
knows that you are nothing but a warm, cuddly, teddy bear.

xxx

Travis Newbury

Got a question. Maybe it is an

Hey, your Ausie right? Thant is kind of like English lite isn't it?
(if that statement is offensive, it was not meant to be) What abut
the check marks? If there reason for putting them at the end of the
item rather than at the beginning as I believe is normal.

patrick j

Hey, went to your website, and saw the sample of what you did. (hold
your tongue.... hold your tongue...) Got a question. Maybe it is an
English thing (don't know) but in the "check list" menu, why didn't
you put the check mark in front of the menu item? You put the check
mark at the end of the line, typically it would be at the beginning.

Hi

I wonder if you are talking about this one:

http://www.inventoryworks.co.uk/

which has a check list arrangement.

You might be right perhaps the 'tick' should be at the beginning.
Personally I think it would be at the end but I might be crazy.

I am living in England and have done for many years.

Travis Newbury

I wonder if you are talking about this one:
http://www.inventoryworks.co.uk/
which has a check list arrangement.

That's the puppy.
You might be right perhaps the 'tick' should be at the beginning.
Personally I think it would be at the end but I might be crazy.

I don't know, that's why I asked. When making a check list I usually
draw a little box, and write the item down Then when I get to an Item
I would check it off. So I would think a check box belongs in the
front. Then I saw this while on some major pain meds for a little
surgery I had done and thought, "If I have had this small thing wrong
all my life, what other things do I believe that are wrong..." So
your check boxes had pretty much forced me to reconsider my views on
life, love, God and the universe.
I am living in England and have done for many years.

Now that the pain has subsided I realize that I in fact am right, and
the little check boxes belong in the front. But I fully support your
decision to place them in the rear.